IGNORED

Skrillex - Discuss, Debate, Praise, Hate

YEK

yeah, he called it "death-disco". wtf is that?

it's a good interview but I don't think the interviewer knows this sort of music. at one point he also spoke of Skrillex' 'sub-bass' triggering dance euphoria in the crowd.

it's Pitchfork - they don't know music, they know numbers. and The 'head.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Backson

Reading the interview I felt really really bad for him the first time he met Richard and Richard just ignored him and walked off.

At the end of the day Skrill does have a couple of decent ideas hiding in his overblown, overproduced monstrosities. But its not the sort of music that ever comes close to art. Its just really ugly, the way its produced, the way its promoted, it all just implies that him being this crazy fun party guy who's having the time of his life is as important as the music.

Guest mrgypsum

yeah, like I said - he's just like us (literally he's one of us - he's a watmmer)

I still feel really shitty :(

i think his fans and the whole scene is worthy of the "slagging" off you did, so dont feel too bad, maybe this skrillex dude is a nice guy but so what? squarepusher in all likelihood is an Ahole but he can pull a classic album out of his arse whenever he feels like it.

there will be more sonny/skrillexes in the future, i am sure people goofed on aphex/ae when they were first coming out. i tend to just listen to the music, and from the releases hes made under the skrillex name, I am definetly not into it. therefore i may from time to time give mr moore some shit for it, but its nothing personal, how could it be? ive never met him in my life.

Fuck, reading these last posts while listening to arvo part almost made a tear come to my eye.

Was it Fratres? It was Fratres, wasn't it?

But its not the sort of music that ever comes close to art.

Buh? How can it not be art?

it's art but it lacks integrity because i think skrillex is, to a certain extent, a product.

i don't think skrillex is a real musician, just like justice are not real musicians. they follow a very successful formula and make up for inadequacies in their music with a solid visual/cultural aesthetic.

unless you qualify a steaming pile of excrement as art, it's not art.

It's art. Music. Not necessarily super-original or pretentious, but that doesn't mean it isn't art.

In some ways it is "better" than what we listen to, because more people like it.

it's art but it lacks integrity because i think skrillex is, to a certain extent, a product.

i don't think skrillex is a real musician, just like justice are not real musicians. they follow a very successful formula and make up for inadequacies in their music with a solid visual/cultural aesthetic.

Justice and Skrillex are probably both really good at producing. It takes work to go by the formula; sometimes even more work than it does to make something original.

Would of liked to get an insight on his seemingly ironic interest in Burzum, but oh well. Good read.

Ironic how? Aren't there a few Burzum fans on WATMM? I think we've all matured to a point where it's ok if we're interested in genres that don't have much in common.

Or are you referring to him wearing a Burzum t-shirt at a gig? I'm sure many electronic musicians like to wear unrelated t-shirts when performing.. myself included.

I am kinda interested in hearing how his work will evolve from this point onwards.. once the brostep thing dwindles.

Fair point, ironic was a poor word to throw in there, especially since I like black metal myself. The snobby tone was uncalled for. I am sincerely interested and curious in how he got into Burzum though, he's wearing the shirt in that infamous "aphex face making" video, so I assume he's been a fan for years.

Ditto on the curiousity of what his future productions will sound like...

Well it could be art for someone.

Well it could be art for someone.

300px-Spaghettios.png

This was the first thing that crossed my mind while reading their exchange!

It's art. Music. Not necessarily super-original or pretentious, but that doesn't mean it isn't art.

In some ways it is "better" than what we listen to, because more people like it.

Justice and Skrillex are probably both really good at producing. It takes work to go by the formula; sometimes even more work than it does to make something original.

Gmanyo,

More is not better. By your logic Justin Bieber is actually better than Aphex Twin, because Bieber has more fans.

Gmanyo,

More is not better. By your logic Justin Bieber is actually better than Aphex Twin, because Bieber has more fans.

Depends on what you define as "better", and who you are (what your perspective is)

from a financial standpoint, Justin Bieber is infinitely better than Aphex Twin, for Universal Music Group

Agreed, that is true. However our conversation and the perspective we're looking at is art, integrity, etc etc. From that perspective, Gmanyos logic is that Skrillex is better than what we listen to because more people listen to Skrillex.

:cerious: :cerious: :cerious:

Agreed, that is true. However our conversation and the perspective we're looking at is art, integrity, etc etc. From that perspective, Gmanyos logic is that Skrillex is better than what we listen to because more people listen to Skrillex.

It's a valid point.

I'd love to see anyone try to justify the 'betterness' of Aphex Twin compared to Justin Bieber, or Skrillex. Especially to the people that appreciate that music.

It's a valid point.

I'd love to see anyone try to justify the 'betterness' of Aphex Twin compared to Justin Bieber, or Skrillex. Especially to the people that appreciate that music.

Because it has the drills and he plays on the black keys.

88 pages of this shit and I still check in on it every now and then.

It's a valid point.

we couldn't accurately justify it to fans of bieber or skrillex because they aren't intelligent enough to understand the concepts apparent in good music/what makes good music good etc etc. In their paradigm, bieber et al are actually good, and they could justify it in their own way. I guess it's inevitable that elitism comes into play eventually.

It's analagous to different levels of scientific understanding, comparing the genius of Einstein to say, a regular University professor. They could both justify their level of "genius", but one is clearly better.

Archived