IGNORED

Actress - R.I.P

Redruth

Don't be so dramatic. You can't expect everyone to love it just because you do.

I didn't even compare the two in terms of style. If you read back you'll see that the VHS comparison was the amount of praise the album got compared to my reaction to it. They're not even remotely similar in terms of style.

Do I need to tag all my posts with "imo"? Because surely that should go without saying. You love the album, I wish I did, but I don't. I'm asserting my frustration that I don't enjoy it as much as others. Nothing to do with going against the grain.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The VHS Head thread is like 90 pages long. This is seven. So yeah I think by contrasting this album with VHS you can appear to be the lone ranger. My point is basically, why? If the music isn't similar why is "popularity" relevant to your own individual experience? Not liking the album is fine, but it'd be more constructive to explain more about why it is average. Average to me means there are dozens of examples of something similar but better. And considering I do love this album a lot, I would appreciate hearing these examples. I am dying to know of more music that charges my imagination like this one.

tl;dr: Obel doesn't get the hype.

Nothing to get mate. I stopped posting in this thread a few pages back because the whole thing became a "love in". No one was expressing any valid opinions, just agreeing with each other.

I liked this album, people are getting far to sentimental in here for me. Its good, one or two tracks stand out as the winners.

Definitely not album of the year, by any stretch of the imagination.

He reminds me of Autechre in that his music is audio graffiti.

This is clearly whats happening in this thread. The imagine of this music and genre has gone to peoples heads.

Reminds me nothing of Ae though.

Nothing to get mate. I stopped posting in this thread a few pages back because the whole thing became a "love in". No one was expressing any valid opinions, just agreeing with each other.

Pretty elitist to suggest the people who were agreeing and enjoying this release aren't valid? Am I not understanding you completely?

It seems current culture is prone to being overly aggressive against praise... why is this? You just said you liked the album, yet you stopped posting because some people loved the album? This doesn't make any sense to me.

Pretty elitist to suggest the people who were agreeing and enjoying this release aren't valid? Am I not understanding you completely?

It seems current culture is prone to being overly aggressive against praise... why is this? You just said you liked the album, yet you stopped posting because some people loved the album? This doesn't make any sense to me.

Over-sentimentalised.

Maybe I just dont like it as much as the rest of you. But everyone jumped down obels throat for saying he didnt like it. People are protective of their opinions, whatever they are.

Over-sentimentalised.

Maybe I just dont like it as much as the rest of you. But everyone jumped down obels throat for saying he didnt like it. People are protective of their opinions, whatever they are.

No one is jumping down anyones throat. This is a simple discussion. Obel said it was the most average album he has heard in ages. I find this opinion valid but a bit surprising considering the general appreciation for the album in this tread, varying from people like you who like it to people who think it is album of the year. When someone is counter to the general feeling of something I am interested to know more about why that is, specifically what other music I may not know of that is maybe better/similar to this release.

It only seems average when compared to this thread.

I think this is on par with Splazsh, I still like Splazsh better though.

So you are consciously shaping your expression towards this music based on what other people think?

It only seems average when compared to this thread.

I think this is on par with Splazsh, I still like Splazsh better though.

So you are consciously shaping your expression towards this music based on what other people think?

I'm consciously shaping the wording of my opinion so to make it more concise and not to be construed with what other people have said.

Opinion remains the same.

Kramer it's pretty simple, mate. The other day you were singing the albums praise, album of the year etc, I checked out the thread, it was pretty unanimously saying it was an amazing album so I checked it out with high expectations and was disappointed. If people are unanimously praising something surely that shapes your expression if you find you don't like it? Accusing me of being contrary because you don't like my opinion is a bit silly, you're continuing to fight against... nothing really.

There is no doubt that high expectations can lead to disappointment. And I have no problem with opinions. However I find the attitude displayed earlier to not be in line with what you summarized above. At this point I am continuing to fight against nothing, however I think it's quite common for individuals to exaggerate their differences of opinions for the sake of countering (as demonstrated by chassis's comments).

Allow me to counter all the gushing praise around here by saying this is the most average album I've heard in ages. No tracks stood out or me either, but I'm guessing for different reasons.

Had you just said, "I was looking forward to hearing this but came away disappointed on the first listen, was mostly forgettable, but perhaps it will grow on me..." then that would be accurate. Proclaiming it to be the most average album you have heard in ages against so much praise seems contrarian. It doesn't bother me that you didnt enjoy it, but it bothers me that you will proclaim to counter the thread and call something the "most average thing in ages" without posting any kind of reasoning behind it. Not to mention after only your first listen.

This thread was going along just fine with straight opinions but then the skeptics had to bust in and gay it up with their armchair psychiatry theories on why people like it.

MUSIC.

This thread was going along just fine with straight opinions but then the skeptics had to bust in and gay it up with their armchair psychiatry theories on why people like it.

MUSIC.

agreed

Yeah that review is 100x better. Pitchfork reviews are usually never worth reading, though I did like this line:

Even R.I.P.'s steady 4/4 tracks sound grimy and deconstructed. But there's something almost flirtatious in the way he lets the sounds worm around in the dark, looking to hook up with something firm. When they do, it's both mechanical and mystical, like watching a sculpture cut from raw stone.

MUSIC.

agreed

Ive absolutely no understanding of this mentality. So you want a thread where there is no disagreement? Where the fuck is the discussion then?

I find the second track, Ascending, to be quite tedious. Two tracks that stand out from the crowd for me are Caves Of Paradise and The Lords Graffiti.

Cunningham's scope is already wider than producers like Burial or Zomby, who tend to keep dance music's vocabulary intact, even at their most abstract.

There's a lot wrong with that sentence.

Guest jasondonervan

Got a tip-off that the vinyl had landed at my local yesterday. While in there to pick up my copy I saw someone walking round with it in hand, a member of staff grabbing one from the rack presumably to be held back and the guy serving told me he'd stashed a copy for himself. So the word is definitely getting out! I gave it a blind spin last night having not caught up with previous Actress efforts, and liked what I heard enough to investimigate further.

Got a tip-off that the vinyl had landed at my local yesterday. While in there to pick up my copy I saw someone walking round with it in hand, a member of staff grabbing one from the rack presumably to be held back and the guy serving told me he'd stashed a copy for himself. So the word is definitely getting out! I gave it a blind spin last night having not caught up with previous Actress efforts, and liked what I heard enough to investimigate further.

Just curious as what prompted you to buy it? If you weren't an Actress fan before.

Splazsh was pretty big, at least I thought it was.

Have the people who haven't been into this album tried smoking weed to it?

lol jk

but seriously, I love this album. I am sorry I kind of attacked some of you. Its nothing personal, I just haven't been this impressed in music for awhile.

Guest jasondonervan
Just curious as what prompted you to buy it? If you weren't an Actress fan before.

Splazsh was pretty big, at least I thought it was.

Yeah, I'm not sure how that passed me by either... R.I.P. was recommended by a friend actually. To give a little context, I don't tend to read reviews of new music, at least not before I get a chance to listen for myself as I find it pre-loads my expectations based on what I've read. It's interesting to read them and the opinions of others afterwards - not to see if X Y or Z individual agrees with me - more just to see what they made of it really.

Still don't like it as much as Splazh, but it'll probably grow on me seeing as I haven't listened to it much and I'm distracted by the new Death Grips at the moment.

Archived