IGNORED

Actress - R.I.P

Redruth

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i completely agree that this sometimes feels more like a compilation

some trax just don't relate to one another?

it's like 2to3 eps together in 1 album

it's interesting, because to me splazsh feels much more like a compilation or jumble of unrelated tracks than r.i.p. does. i can see the point about the tracks fading in/out in a kind of lazy way, but i don't think that the album as a whole lacks a cohesive sound. it might be less cohesive than hazyville, but i think it works quite well as a whole.

Guest Enter a new display name
He reminds me of Autechre in that his music is audio graffiti.

This is clearly whats happening in this thread. The imagine of this music and genre has gone to peoples heads.

Reminds me nothing of Ae though.

i could be fabricating memory, which rarely happens, but does happen. i seem to remember actress mentioning something about release again on the nonplus? hinting at fifth longplayer?

This thread was going along just fine with straight opinions but then the skeptics had to bust in and gay it up with their armchair psychiatry theories on why people like it.

MUSIC.

agreed

Ive absolutely no understanding of this mentality. So you want a thread where there is no disagreement? Where the fuck is the discussion then?

I find the second track, Ascending, to be quite tedious. Two tracks that stand out from the crowd for me are Caves Of Paradise and The Lords Graffiti.

Cunningham's scope is already wider than producers like Burial or Zomby, who tend to keep dance music's vocabulary intact, even at their most abstract.

There's a lot wrong with that sentence.

There should always be disagreement on music. But making assumptions about WHY people are expressing their approval of music, accusing them of mob mentality is lame as shit. I have no problem pointing out things I don't like, music or otherwise.

Guest jasondonervan

He's playing (read: DJing most likely) in my neck of the woods in a few weeks. Will probably go along for a mooch, bet it'll be jam-packed off the back of the recent R.I.P buzz.

Just because Actress mentioned Ae in one interview, every Ae fan should listen to this? That's wrong. If I was a hardcore Ae fan, I probably wouldn't like R.I.P. as much as I actually do.

But still, there is something very special to Actress, which is very hard to explain. And this specialness is also the thing he shares with people like Ae oder Afx. Of course not in their way of being special, but in an other way, a bit like this...

... walk such a fine line between really poor production and brilliant composition...

And to get this specialness, it really needs the right atmosphere and lots of listens!

officialy a hipster album now lol

jk =p

http://youtu.be/3Fw_fariB2A

Though I hate to say it, I agree whole heartedly with this. Tony hits the nail on the head for me (lol). I have listened to this half a dozen times and I fail to see what the fuss is about, it seems to have no direction goes nowhere imo, it just meanders about aimlessly.

Not as dynamic as Splazsh,

Fairly slow at building up and pace.

Id agree with whoever said this sounded more like a compilation, the tracks dont really fit together for me.

I really enjoy the fact most tracks, especially the more ambient ones just fade out. It makes them feel like continuous streams of consciousness, instead of linear traditional music. I find the energy of a lot of these tracks remind me of moving through dreamscapes from my deep subconscious (deteriorating hallways, tunneling through tokyo, space travel), places I have never been to, but would like to visit. If this album would have been laid out very consciously I think it would lose this mysterious modest quality. As it stands, these tracks sound like the music you hear just before you start to fall asleep, as if Actress entered different areas of his sub-conscious and pressed the record button. Theres very few hooks/sounds that call for the listeners attention, the tracks develop very naturally... as if they always existed somewhere in the deep void.

The production also has this perfect balance of sounding full, where none of the layers stand out too much... and yet all the layers are easily distinguishable when shifting your focus. So all the elements exist constantly and theres enough space/air between them to allow you to control what you want to hear. I'll be listening to it and suddenly realize something about one of the sounds and examine it further, which will lead me into even deeper subtleties... by this point I am dumbfounded by how this music actually exists.

I find the energy of a lot of these tracks remind me of moving through dreamscapes from my deep subconscious

this is also how i feel, or chapters in a book. i think the fading endings work well to hold the album together like you've said and 'serpent' / 'shadow from tartarus' click together just perfectly.

'raven' calls to me over and over and over again. this album is spectacular, tony has no idea what he is talking about, i don't think he spent the time he should have with this

and honestly, i don't think he has the tastes for these type of sounds anyway

After initially feeling like a jumbled mess this has grown exponentially on me in subsequent listens. Definitely rates up there with splazsh and could very well exceed it if i'm not careful

Archived