IGNORED

Actress - R.I.P

Redruth

Guest ruiagnelo

After an initial indifference towards R.I.P, i missed it.

Indeed, and i missed it because i really got hooked by its sound, even though it seemed to me there was something i could not understand, or could not grab. I now feel like this music doesn't evoke physical sensations on me. I mean, even the most cerebral electronic music like autechre can evoke physical sensastions, even though rarely, but R.I.P... it is completely weightless. There is no mass to it, nothing to grab or touch with your ears. It's the most abstract sound i have heard in recent years.

Also i can't feel any colour in it. Feels like one of those old black and white pictures that were shot in a very bright day, and the sunlight was directly flooding into the machine's lens.

I am finally relieved, because i feel good with this sound and regret saying it was crap at first.

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm sure I've said something to this effect in this thread before, but this album is absolutely stellar. It has some real mindbending numbers, some interesting melodies, and perfectly crafted tones and production. The attention to detail on this album is unlike most music I've ever heard.

i got this a few day's ago cause i love splazsh, i didn't expect it to be "autechre" wow :w00t:

it sounds like a mushroom trip in the forrest, the music is so alive and breathing

amazing artist and fantastic album that i'll be playing the shit out this summer

I guess I better get this on cd, put it on the beast system and see what the fuss is all about. 'cause so far wanking about with this over the interent obviously isn't doing it any favours for me

Sir Beerwolf i recommand you this album!

Get the cd or burn it on cd-r and dump this psychedelic fucker in your beast system!

after a couple of spins, spliffs and beers the 'wtf is this shit' feeling will disapear and you will find yourself in actress his garden of machines

splazsh is also awesome! but i prefer R.I.P.

purple Splazsh! :wink::w00t:

prince.jpg

Still rocking this like a motherfucker, also finally got around to checking Hazyville out and, damn if that isn't some dopeazz shit to tweak out to. I almost wet my pants at the thought that he's got a 'sequel' to it coming out next :wang:

Gotta say that my favorite track is "Caves of Paradise." I find it to be a bit different than the others and would have preferred if the entire album had the same sort of feel as Caves

Need to listen to this more

Just gave the album a second listen yesterday. I had the urge when it was over to immediately play it again, which hasn't happened for me with a record in a very long time. I feel the need to understand and develop a relationship with this album in a way I used to with Autechre, but just couldn't do with Oversteps.

This album is unique in that I can appreciate its content, and even recently recommended it to someone whom I thought would dig it (and he did) but I just don't feel a connection with it nor do I crave listening to it.

He uses some really enjoyable sounds and I like bits and pieces of RIP, but overall it's a little too deep/minimal/repetative for my listening tastes. I am looking forward to hearing what he does next.

Yes, I'm also playing the shit out of it and experiencing completly new parts. as i stated above, i still don't know what my opinion on this one is - hope this never changes :emotawesomepm9: Also new Actress remix from Teengirl's Motif and a free track from Ninjatune, which I like more. Also, make sure to listen to his remix of SumR below, one of the finest and darkest tracks I heard in a long while!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvrQKpq22cU&feature=related

• 5 weeks later...

forming an environment rather than a music form

hah, exactly what I thought when I first "got" actress: "it's not about the musical content, it's room music"

a very good read (for a change it's not only about smoking weed :emotawesomepm9: )

Guest ruiagnelo

If electronic music was a building,

R.I.P would be its ruins.

After so much time thinking about this record lately, i need no more words than these to describe it.

I find it valid for Burial's music also, but Actress really pushes the boundaries to extreme limits. I really admire what he is doing with electronic music.

Archived