IGNORED

Actress - R.I.P

Redruth

• Replies 335
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just got this album. shadow from tartarus destroys me.

This.

Also Raven and Caves Of Paradise... So damn good.

Raven for month's, i'm just a sucker for this track

it is in the subtleties of the ear & the spirit, this is the only place these types of sounds will come. one must have an extra capacity, to making musics like this. few have it, but you will know them by their music

This.

it is in the subtleties of the ear & the spirit, this is the only place these types of sounds will come. one must have an extra capacity, to making musics like this. few have it, but you will know them by their music

lol, you really know how to both speak the truth and sound like a fat twat at the same time :-)

It's good, I feel a strong Ae influence for sure. Sounds a bit like Amon Tobin too. Not sure yet how deep it is...but thanks watmm for a good recommend

Btw, people in this thread bashing Trademark Ribbons of Gold? That was the last buy I made from watmm and it didn't disappoint, great album!

This.

lol, you really know how to both speak the truth and sound like a fat twat at the same time :-)

It's good, I feel a strong Ae influence for sure. Sounds a bit like Amon Tobin too. Not sure yet how deep it is...but thanks watmm for a good recommend

Btw, people in this thread bashing Trademark Ribbons of Gold? That was the last buy I made from watmm and it didn't disappoint, great album!

the sound of a fat twat is that of a thundering queef?

lol.

Still on my first listen through, of course absurd to start drawing any conclusions, but I was surprised by The Lord's Graffiti, it perfectly recreates the sound of listening to banal dance music from a club's restroom...wonder why he wanted to recreate that? Was flowing with the album up until that point. The abrupt fade-outs are sloppy as hell though, do not like.

Jardin and Raven were great. Shadow from Tartarus was disturbing.

He really is quite an uber-talented producer, and I usually hate side-chain compression (or, what I imagine it is). Like Clark, I think his often good music post ETBOY is let down by his willfully self-destructive craptastic production, makes everything brittle, obvious, and annoying. It's like he's forcing you to only listen to his tracks once.

Anyhoo, really interesting approach to music. The sound of a space, not the tunes themselves. Can't remember many melodies, but I'm liking the experience...

This just gets better the more times I listen to it. I'm gonna play it right now!

Never would have known about Actress if not for WATMM.

So this finally arrived in the post today. I got the Machinedrum Rooms extended version too. But RIP is going on first.

I am looking forward to seeing what all the fuss is about. Nice too sink into stuff once all the hyperbole has subsided.

Still listening to this, a very strong album, but with only a handful of uber-standout tracks to me:

Rip and Ascending: nice, boccy intro

URIEL'S BLACK HARP: this has easily become my favorite track. The best track ae never made.

Raven: niiiice

N.E.W: lovely

This would have made an amazing kick ass ep as good as in a beautiful place out in the country (I know, weird comparison).

Anyhoo, still enjoying the album, though I don't understand any of the praise for The Lord's Graffiti or IWAAD, they still sound crap to me and give the album a fairly weak ending.

two questions: does anyone know what kind of equipment he used on this record?

also, how does this compare to his other releases?

I spotted a Machinedrum and Monomachine on the Adult Swim interview. I don't remember any other pieces.

Oh yeah, he also appears to be somewhat into canes as well as hoodies, or perhaps more generally face-obscuring apparel.

I love Splazsh, gave Hazyville a listen once but haven't given it an opportunity to sink in yet. Those are proper weird but R.I.P. is a different beast entirely. There's a pretty steady beat running through the other two, for starters.

it makes r.i.p. that much cooler.

for me it's the other way around. making something truly psychedelic just with basic elements and normal, housy sounding beats is way more impressive for me these days than obviously being psychedelic (which is not really the case on R.I.P., very small subtleties here). make sure you check every single actress track, also the remixes. everything is worth it.

i would recommend a number of his eps as well as his albums. 'machine and voice,' 'harrier attk/gershwin' and 'raindy dub' are especially good.

r.i.p. has held up pretty well over time for me. i still listen to it regularly and i still think it's great.

Archived