IGNORED

Post interesting/cool interviews

usagi

Nice buzz Osborne interview there. I have the same thoughts as him about millionaire rock bands. The part about Metallica was hilarious.

Seth Troxler takes a (somewhat contradictory?) shit on EDM and EDM festivals.

When I get booked to play these massive festivals in the US, I often walk around them to see what they’re all about – and 90% of the time, it’s fucking horrible. We’re breeding a generation of impatient, annoying festival kids. I say impatient because the patience of the clubber is different to the patience of the festival-goer.
At these festivals, you get it all on a platter up-front. Lasers! LED screens! Pyrotechnics! DROPS! CAKE IN YOUR FUCKING FACE! – wait, nah man. That’s not clubbing, that’s a concert of cunts. Just, go out for a night in a dark room. Be cool.
I was talking to a good friend of mine Craig Richards, and he said that back when he started going to clubs, there was even more patience: you’d vibe on the dance floor for hours, with space for your body and everyone else’s. Now people consider a “good event” something that’s really packed with bodies and “energy”: energy-packed-extreme! That’s not clubbing, man. Clubbing is a culture, but EDM doesn't promote that. If you’re Suzie who just graduated high school in Florida, you go to Ultra and think “Holy shit , Avicii is about to blow my panties off”.
Speaking of Avicii, Avicii is a cunt. When he went to the hospital during Ultra in Miami, my tour manager Alex was with the nurse assigned to him. The fucking cunt wouldn’t even speak to the nurse. She would have to tell his manager what to tell him, and they were sitting next to each other. You’re in the hospital. You can’t talk to a nurse who’s trying to look after you? The insane stardom syndrome of these massive EDM DJs pisses me off.
It’s not just a personal thing either. Their music is just shit. I’ve seen Steve Aoki play at these festivals. He keeps turning the music off, jumping around onstage, saying “This is my new single! Out next week!”, and playing the next song. You are not a fucking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing, performing monkey. My best friend Frank from high school is now my PA, and he’s in the Little League Hall of Fame for being a crazy good pitcher. We’re going to him with that cake, man. I’m coming for you, Aoki.

• 1 month later...

Buzz Osborne of the Melvins picks songs by "bands that were good but blew it". pretty good read. kind of an incendiary list (that first pick made me lol), but it's all about good bands that fucked up, not straight shitty bands.

he cites drugs a fair bit as a primary factor, which is refreshingly honest imo. I liked this bit, clearly a reflection of his straight-edge perspective on life:

AVC: There are some people that argue that it was the drugs that made [Hendrix] artistic.

BO: So, let me get this straight, if I take LSD and heroin, I’ll play like Jimi Hendrix? Really?! I beg to differ. I guarantee there are guitarists down at Guitar Center without a record contract that are on LSD and heroin and will never make any money playing music. They’re putting that little theory to the test every day. I don’t buy it. I don’t care what you do, but I don’t see alcohol and drugs as being anything other than a way to make whatever problems you have in your life bigger. There’s not a problem in the world you can’t make bigger by drinking a fifth of whiskey. If it worked the other way, they would market it as “problem solving whiskey.” But I believe in personal freedom, and you should be able to do what you want, but you should understand that when you kill yourself with booze and drugs, I’m going to think you’re stupid. That’s just how it is.

Buzz is awesome for being honest and direct about this. I've always secretly despised that assumption. Bill Hicks has some oft-quoted bit about drugs and music and it's so lame. I'm more of an "everything in moderation" attitude, and personally I've found that heavy drug use is often associated with mediocre music historically - The Grateful Dead live, goa trance, subpar reggae, overwrought alt rock. Hell, I'd even go on a limb and say Flylo's more recent music, which has come out as he's more open about using DMT, is less engaging than in the past.

Don't get me wrong, some things sound amazing high and I can often get very nostalgic warm fuzzy feelings listening to my favorite music after quite a few beers, but that's always music I loved without drugs to begin with. I've always been sober when I get goosebumps from hearing music that emotionally moves me.

Good interview overall, I love reading interviews with musicians and/or writers who really know what they're talking about and why they feel a certain way, even if I disagree with them.

Buzzo has been getting really good at talking smack in the last few years. And down on anyone who takes drugs. I fucking love the Melvins but I'm a bit put-off by Buzzo sometimes.

after watching this video

I started to suspect that he just likes to talk

for the sake of talking:

"...I like listening to Zeppelin but I have no interest in putting it into my own guitar playing...

...I'm more along the lines of Jimi Hendrix mixed with John Spencer, you know...

...or Pussy Galore crossed with Led Zeppelin..."

LOL

But yeah, anyway...love the Melvins. And Buzzo does bring the wisdom from time to time.

• 4 weeks later...

"...I like listening to Zeppelin but I have no interest in putting it into my own guitar playing...

...I'm more along the lines of Jimi Hendrix mixed with John Spencer, you know...

...or Pussy Galore crossed with Led Zeppelin..."

(meaning, he doesn't want to imitate that kind of virtuoso approach, but would rather mix that kind of rock with punk)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Interview with 5 composers of scores for films released in 2014. Trent Reznor being one of them. Interesting to hear the various perspectives on how they work. Around the 36 min mark is an interesting bit about Reznor contracting the way he composes with how people usually compose songs. So instead of starting with a key or a melody, Trent searches for a setting or a sound.

• 2 months later...

Cabaret Voltaire's Stephen Mallinder did a PhD thesis on rhythm, identity & community ,,,,,,,,,, with long-winded abstract ,,,,,,,,

Movement: Journey of the Beat addresses the trajectory and transition of popular culture through the modality of rhythm. It configures fresh narratives and new histories necessary to understand why auditory cultures have become increasingly significant in the digital age. Atomised and mobile technologies, which utilise sonic media through streaming, on-line radio and podcasts, have become ubiquitous in a post-work environment. These sonic media provide not merely the mechanisms of connection but also the contexts for understanding changing formations of both identity and community.

This research addresses, through rhythm, how popular music culture, central to changing perceptions of ‘self’ and ‘others’ through patterns of production and consumption, must also be viewed as instrumental in shaping new platforms of communication that have resonance not only through the emergence of new social networks and cultural economies but also in the development of media literacies and pedagogic strategies. The shift to online technologies for cultural production and global consumption, although immersed in leisure practices, more significantly alludes to changing dynamics of power and knowledge. An online ecology represents a significant shift in the role of place and time in creative production and its subsequent access. Popular music invariably provides an entry point and subsequent platform for such shifts and this thesis looks to the rhythms within this popular culture in as much as they encode these transformations.

http://researchrepository.murdoch.edu.au/4866/

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Andrew Liles (of solo and Nurse With Wound infamy) interviewed recently. Bloke doesnt say or put out too much on his methods/techniques/world-view, but his music is truly otherworldly. Surprised he doesnt pop up more on this site:

http://www.radiopanik.org/emissions/moacrealsloa/andrew-liles-from-a-liles-current-93-nurse-with-wound-talk-music-part-1/

http://www.radiopanik.org/emissions/moacrealsloa/andrew-liles-from-a-liles-current-93-nurse-with-wound-talk-music-part-2/