IGNORED

Why no release of old material from WARP?

beerwolf

The only pre-Twoism release that actually exists (although as a DIY effort) is BoC Maxima, which was their demo tape they shopped around to labels.

wait

boc maxima is stated to be from 1996, making it post twoism. are you saying that this date is wrong and it's been around way longer or are you just mixing things up? i always thought twoism was the demo.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The old releases don't exist - at least not in the formats presented on the old EHX BoC site. Twoism was the band's first physical release on vinyl (I have yet to see proof a (non-DIY) cassette version exists) - that image on bocpages.org is not from a cassette j-card but a sticker that was on the Twoism original vinyl release, as well as the vinyl reissue (albeit edited). There's a reason the catalogue number was BOARD1. The only pre-Twoism release that actually exists (although as a DIY effort) is BoC Maxima, which was their demo tape they shopped around to labels.

My personal belief is these releases were concocted to add to the band's "back story" and "mythology", and once it got out of hand with all the requests for info and to release them, they removed them, hoping in time they'd be forgotten.

And I agree that a physical release would be a risky venture for WARP to put money into, but there's no reason a digital release wouldn't pay dividends.

its very interesting that MDG does not jump in this time as he did last time when you made up the hd-crash as reason for the new album delay. Your argument about the board1 catalogue nummer sounds really valid. why should they call it board1 if its not the first release?

I still find it pretty amazing how they keep that much privacy over all the years.

I'll be honest with you, I don't actively hunt down their bootlegs and unreleased tracks because it makes me sad that I may never hear them in proper glorious sound. I only discovered the Untilted Live track above through me reluctently clicking on it via a Twoism thread. I was wary of even listening to it as I knew I would get in a fix!! Now I did it, and now there's there's this mindblowing track I have heard but in terrible quality, and now I will think about it for weeks, thinking of pukka version. Aaaahhhgggghhh!!

There's loads of stuff they have floating around on youtube that I just ignore because I get in a state about it. I guess I am lucky that unreleased music from BoC and AFX is all I really have to worry about lol.

I'll be honest with you, I don't actively hunt down their bootlegs and unreleased tracks because it makes me sad that I may never hear them in proper glorious sound. I only discovered the Untilted Live track above through me reluctently clicking on it via a Twoism thread. I was wary of even listening to it as I knew I would get in a fix!! Now I did it, and now there's there's this mindblowing track I have heard but in terrible quality, and now I will think about it for weeks, thinking of pukka version. Aaaahhhgggghhh!!

some of the bootlegs are pretty decent recordings. I like to listen to them from time to time

I find it quite funny. I actually hope that theydon't release a box set with high quality recordings.

Think about it.

Boards of Canada is supposed to be about the degraded, badly recorded sound. Why fuck with that?

I find it quite funny. I actually hope that theydon't release a box set with high quality recordings.

Think about it.

Boards of Canada is supposed to be about the degraded, badly recorded sound. Why fuck with that?

There's some degree of truth to that I guess. It would be nice to choose though.

Guest sirch

The torment....the torment...

:boc:

hahaha. this forum is like some sort of twilight zone and groundhog day all rolled into one! :crazy:

The only pre-Twoism release that actually exists (although as a DIY effort) is BoC Maxima, which was their demo tape they shopped around to labels.

wait

boc maxima is stated to be from 1996, making it post twoism. are you saying that this date is wrong and it's been around way longer or are you just mixing things up? i always thought twoism was the demo.

Sorry - I shouldn't have used "pre-Twoism" because as you stated, BoC Maxima is from 1996, and was clearly created AFTER Twoism. What I should have said was that besides Twoism, the only self-produced release that can be confimed to exist (I have an actual BoC Maxima cassette, with the colour copied J-Card) is BoC Maxima. None of the other releases have ever been seen in any other form besides the low-quality jpgs from the old EHX site, and the RealAudio snippets of selected tracks from each of these. I recall at first there was only BoC Maxima listed, along with Acid Memories and perhaps a few others from 1994-ish, then Catalog 3 popped up dating from 1987! That would have made Mike and Marcus (born 1971 and 1973, respectively - same age as me) 16 and 14 roughly when they dropped their other band name and started recording as Boards of Canada (assuming Catalog 3 is the first release, although with the CANC19 catalogue number, it implies it wasn't the first release (perhaps the first recorded..?).)

Think about it.

That's a bit cliche - I would classify BoC's sound as more 'nostalgic' rather than poor recordings - although that is part of the nostalgia, to some extent.

Think about it.

That's a bit cliche - I would classify BoC's sound as more 'nostalgic' rather than poor recordings - although that is part of the nostalgia, to some extent.

Yeah, using the term "badly recorded sound" was probably a misnomer on my part.

I just meant that the whole aesthetic of cassette recordings of their music (with all the fidelity issues that come with that format), and gig bootlegs that have the room ambience and acoustics imprinted on the recording...well it kinda goes with the territory for BoC.

And hey - it all adds to that precious 'mystery' :cisfor:

Guest sirch

wait

Sorry - I shouldn't have used "pre-Twoism" because as you stated, BoC Maxima is from 1996, and was clearly created AFTER Twoism. What I should have said was that besides Twoism, the only self-produced release that can be confimed to exist (I have an actual BoC Maxima cassette, with the colour copied J-Card) is BoC Maxima. None of the other releases have ever been seen in any other form besides the low-quality jpgs from the old EHX site, and the RealAudio snippets of selected tracks from each of these. I recall at first there was only BoC Maxima listed, along with Acid Memories and perhaps a few others from 1994-ish, then Catalog 3 popped up dating from 1987! That would have made Mike and Marcus (born 1971 and 1973, respectively - same age as me) 16 and 14 roughly when they dropped their other band name and started recording as Boards of Canada (assuming Catalog 3 is the first release, although with the CANC19 catalogue number, it implies it wasn't the first release (perhaps the first recorded..?).)

that's an interesting tidbit.

Joyrex saves thread.

More food for thought - what if I'm wrong and BoC really does have such a tight circle of friends and associates, who like them are wary of the internets (considering they are probably all around my age and I certainly didn't grow up with the internet), that it's possible they really do exist in some fashion (probably in the same realm as the Old Tunes cassettes, with a very few hand-made for themselves and friends), and simply haven't been leaked online because the people possessing them never bothered mentioning them or displaying them publicly?

The more I think about it, the more feasible that scenario becomes, and consider the only way we even know about them is because one of their close associates, The Cosmic Crofter, started the proto-BoC site and started a discography page, and put what he had in his personal collection online, never thinking about how rabid the BoC fanbase would become because of the internet, and eventually pulled them due to all the inquiries about them, as well as BoC wanting to leave that aspect of their musical heritage in the past, looking towards what their current output was?

Think about it - do you think Trent Reznor would ever release old demos and early recordings of pre-Pretty Hate Machine just to satisfy his fans? I don't think any artist would do this willingly unless there was a reason behind it, be it financial or more narcissistic, which I don't think we could classify BoC as either. The fact WARP is hardly a traditional record label aids in this as a Warner or Sony would probably want to cash in on these old releases if there was enough demand for it despite what the band personally wanted.

The candle is lit again!

Guest sirch

More food for thought - what if I'm wrong and BoC really does have such a tight circle of friends and associates, who like them are wary of the internets (considering they are probably all around my age and I certainly didn't grow up with the internet), that it's possible they really do exist in some fashion (probably in the same realm as the Old Tunes cassettes, with a very few hand-made for themselves and friends), and simply haven't been leaked online because the people possessing them never bothered mentioning them or displaying them publicly?

The more I think about it, the more feasible that scenario becomes, and consider the only way we even know about them is because one of their close associates, The Cosmic Crofter, started the proto-BoC site and started a discography page, and put what he had in his personal collection online, never thinking about how rabid the BoC fanbase would become because of the internet, and eventually pulled them due to all the inquiries about them, as well as BoC wanting to leave that aspect of their musical heritage in the past, looking towards what their current output was?

Think about it - do you think Trent Reznor would ever release old demos and early recordings of pre-Pretty Hate Machine just to satisfy his fans? I don't think any artist would do this willingly unless there was a reason behind it, be it financial or more narcissistic, which I don't think we could classify BoC as either. The fact WARP is hardly a traditional record label aids in this as a Warner or Sony would probably want to cash in on these old releases if there was enough demand for it despite what the band personally wanted.

The candle is lit again!

true.

i think they would both have to die and have been on a major label for any of the old-old demo stuff people are talking about to be released/remastered, etc. etc.

as that's what usually happens after influential bands split up/artists die. the bigger labels like to rinse it and cash in.

on the last five years I only listened to unreleased tracks, obviously I would buy a box with all this material but I am ok with my 128kbps mp3s... imo not official = the bocish way

Think about it.

It's mostly that hearing the blown-out bass sounds kind of sucks or just being able to hear that the microphone isn't so great. Not like the tracks would have to be remastered, but I'm sure listening to them on a cassette player would be nicer. The only one that comes to mind that I don't want to hear any other way is the WARP10 live track ("Frequency") because someone's cell phone goes off in time with the track (almost) and the talking adds to the atmosphere, making it somewhat like Turquoise Hexagon Sun.

there's difference between hissy tape and some low bitrate mp3s.

What do you consider to be 'low bitrate' ?

I'd say anything 192Kbps and under is low bitrate.

GIVE ME FLAC OR GIVE ME DEATH

but more seriously - it's more about not having the most faithful copy of the tapes in best posible quality. with all the imprefections like wow and flutter rather than blown-out mp3 frequencies.

i know you can't hear those freqencies but the thought of it getting transcoded to hell is killing me :wtf:

bootlegs, on the other hand, sound just awful.

The untilted track we are talking about is mindblowing. I can't believe this has passed me by!!! but like I said I have little patience with bad recordings and bootlegs, even so this is still worth listening to.

I plugged in my high-spec headphones and listened and it sounded much better. Like Lord oscillik said, the grainy, low quality recording adds a degree of sound and atmosphere to it. BoC still to this day manage to confound me and place depth-charges of sound into my brain.

Hail The BOC

you've not heard the wax cylinder pressing of the live bootleg that was recorded with the help of a pringles tube as an acoustic funnel?

you haven't lived, i tell thee

Alas,

you've not heard the wax cylinder pressing of the live bootleg that was recorded with the help of a pringles tube as an acoustic funnel?

you haven't lived, i tell thee

Hark oh great Lord

I thought it was but a myth!!

Archived