IGNORED

New Tool record end of year?

azatoth

Guest vokasgrota

I can't really say which tool record I like the most. I loved 10 000 days because it wasn't lateralus and I loved lateralus 'cause it wasn't 10 000 days (or Aenima). All tool records unique. I need to be in the right state of mind to enjoy them tho... I don't always have the energy for lateralus, I think that's the hardest for me.

I got feeling they'll release the album next year. Not mad if they don't, they can release records when ever they want, I've never understood why people whine about how long it takes to make a tool record. ^^

Hope it's not Lateralus Pt.3 (10,000days being part 2 obv)

I can't really say which tool record I like the most. I loved 10 000 days because it wasn't lateralus and I loved lateralus 'cause it wasn't 10 000 days (or Aenima). All tool records unique. I need to be in the right state of mind to enjoy them tho... I don't always have the energy for lateralus, I think that's the hardest for me.

I've been thinking lately. Tool doesn't evolve. They're like the current retro-prog bands making 70s prog that sounds like 70s prog, but not innovating. Their albums sound different, but every time one is released, the first song is immediately recognizable as Tool and sounds like some other Tool song. Stinkfist went right along with Undertow, Schism sounded like it could have been on Aenima, and Vicarious sounded like it could have come from Lateralus. The albums have definitely taken on their own identity, but what I'm getting at is that they're not innovating. They spend years on these albums, being as anal as possible and trying to come up with complex shit, losing site of making something actually unique. Maybe that's not their goal, and it's just something I personally would like. Tool were trend-setters in the 90s but now they're really just one of the bunch. Better than the bunch, but they're so much less relevant. I want Tool to do something they might do if they were putting out their first album in 2014.

Don't get me wrong I will continue to look forward to new material from these guys, and will most likely spend lots of time listening to it when it comes, but sometimes I wish they'd just relax their bungholes and just bang out a spontaneous album. I'm curious what they could do. The results could be more satisfying than something pretentious and familiar that took 6 years to make.

Hope it's not Lateralus Pt.3 (10,000days being part 2 obv)

I've been thinking lately. Tool doesn't evolve. They're like the current retro-prog bands making 70s prog that sounds like 70s prog, but not innovating. Their albums sound different, but every time one is released, the first song is immediately recognizable as Tool and sounds like some other Tool song. Stinkfist went right along with Undertow, Schism sounded like it could have been on Aenima, and Vicarious sounded like it could have come from Lateralus. The albums have definitely taken on their own identity, but what I'm getting at is that they're not innovating. They spend years on these albums, being as anal as possible and trying to come up with complex shit, losing site of making something actually unique. Maybe that's not their goal, and it's just something I personally would like. Tool were trend-setters in the 90s but now they're really just one of the bunch. Better than the bunch, but they're so much less relevant. I want Tool to do something they might do if they were putting out their first album in 2014.

Don't get me wrong I will continue to look forward to new material from these guys, and will most likely spend lots of time listening to it when it comes, but sometimes I wish they'd just relax their bungholes and just bang out a spontaneous album. I'm curious what they could do. The results could be more satisfying than something pretentious and familiar that took 6 years to make.

Yeah this, essentially. They don't stray very far from that same super-clean sound that they've been milking since the 90s.

i can't disagree with a lot of that.

i have a good feeling that this new record is going to be better than 10k days, considering how many outlets maynard has for his humor and light stuff, i am hoping he brings some aggression and darkness to tool but he is a 50 year old millionaire who isn't pissed at the world like he was.

i have read some stuff that seems to be hinting at some sort of monster 30 minute song which i hope means a double album. whatever they do, i am 99% sure i will probably love it and it certainly will sound like tool.

but yea, vicarious sounded like ut came out of schism riffing.

I see what sidewinder is saying. They might play it safe, but they damn good at what they do, so the result will be good. 10k Days didn't have the staying power as Lateralus for me, that I think is their magnum opus, so I hope they can come close to Lateralus again, but wouldn't mind some more experimenting.

10,000 days aged well for me. i was disappointed when it came out because i was expecting aggressive music with psychological and spiritual themes like the previous albums had, but those aspects that me and a lot of other fans were anticipating were the things the band changed, withdrawing a lot of aggression and making the lyrics much more mundane. it's an odd album that can't be categorized, though words like tribal, punk, and experimental somewhat describe it. as usual danny carey is phenomenal, adam jones makes the guitar visual like no one else, and maynard does his most elaborate filtering/layering yet, and delivers a flooring performance on the title track(s). it's a rich tapestry. if it weren't the latest tool album, but just the first release from some unknown band, it would be considered a marvel. it has a deep brooding vibe that i can't compare to anything else musically, and the bass is outstanding, it's a top 10 bass album for sure.

Edited by very honest