IGNORED

Paul Thomas Anderson - The Master

Redruth

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gary C

I really like it. It certainly plays with the conventions of a movie poster in a way I've never seen before. It's a photograph of a wine-label/poster through a glass of wine, as opposed to the usual Photoshopped messes.

It's a bit teenage, but it's closer to 'art' than any other poster.

God knows what it means. Is there going to be a poisoned wine scene? Something murky below the surface? Or PTA's latest is going to go down like a fine-wine... Not that I can think any fine-wines that come from California. But yeah.

not sure it's a wine bottle, the curvature seems opposite what it should be. Let's think a little more broadly, could be some weird Scientology contraption (some kind of "water cure" or snake-oil device), could tie to a nautical theme (Hubbard's boat), could represent the line between conscious and subconscious, who knows...I like.

Guest Gary C

You're right. The curve doesn't suit a wine-bottle at all, unless it's a bottle inside another bottle. LOL.

But the font style made me think of a wine-bottle. Hm. I'll just go with a symbolic waterline for now.

hehehe! Nice one lumpy....

My first thoughts were sea org and Hubbard's obsession with the navy/being the captain of an insane cult/homosexual sailor outfits

Amazing film poster.

I think the poster is supposed to recall the scene where he seems to be working on a ship or submarine in the missle bay and drinks some of the fluid... it's in the trailer

secret initiation rituals that involve the drinking of rocket fuel made by Jack Parsons.

my first thought on the trailer scene with drinking the liquor from the bombs.

or this film is going to be about one man's attempt to corner the wine market within the US aka There Will Be Wine.

wow!

I hope Miscabbage and his croneys are shitting in their pants over the release of this film.

I AM EXCITE! :emotawesomepm9: :emotawesomepm9: :w00t::emotawesomepm9: :emotawesomepm9:

wow!

I hope Miscabbage and his croneys are shitting in their pants over the release of this film.

I AM EXCITE! :emotawesomepm9: :emotawesomepm9: :w00t::emotawesomepm9: :emotawesomepm9:

i dunno why anyone thinks this is going to be a serious blow to Scientology..wouldn't it have been derailed a while back from all the ties the organization has to Hollywood producers/actors/everything?

Plus, maybe this sounds stupid, but are we absolutely sure this movie is a scathing attack on Scientology?

I'm pretty sure it will depict Scientology in an extrememly negative light. It was privately funded and uses the Weinsteins as a distributor. Anderson initially had trouble getting funding for the movie until Megan Ellison, a billionaire's daughter decided to produce it. Creative freedom.

This film will not have any negative impact on Scientology, anymore so than they are creating themselves......

that being said, Hubbard's son is on record saying that he used to be fed drugs, take part in black magic rituals and sacrifices because of his father making him do so....

Watch the trailer again for the scene with The Master's son talking about how his father is a con artist.

Also talk of cult.

Egotism.

Bullshit.

Manipulative fucks.

Yes, this is an attack on Scientology.

I AM EXCITE ! :emotawesomepm9: ! :emotawesomepm9: ! :emotawesomepm9: ! :diablo: ! :emotawesomepm9: ! :emotawesomepm9: ! :emotawesomepm9: !

Guest RadarJammer
Plus, maybe this sounds stupid, but are we absolutely sure this movie is a scathing attack on Scientology?

I don't think there is any reason to assume this movie is an attack of any kind. Scientology attacks itself by being batshit crazy and all people have to do is tell the truth (or in this case a fictionalized account of the truth) and to the organization it might seem like an attack but in reality its just (fictionalized version of) history.

Its cool that they make the freewinds story part of the plot.

Here is kind of a interesting interview with the guy who found the aspestos on it

that being said, Hubbard's son is on record saying that he used to be fed drugs, take part in black magic rituals and sacrifices because of his father making him do so....

I think you mean this interview http://www.apologeti...e Interview.pdf

Archived