IGNORED

Paul Thomas Anderson - The Master

Redruth

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to see the new Paul Anderson movie this weekend. The dialogue was really bad and I don't understand how that guy survived after Milla Jovovich killed him in the last movie? It was sort of lol seeing Michelle Rodriguez play a character who keeps dying. I don't remember the scientology bits; I'll have to watch it again to get a better impression.

Guest W32MyDoom

This is excellent in 70mm. Overall not the best PTA film but definitely great acting and dialogue. Change of pace from his other films bc he didn't have Elswit doing cinematography but there were a few shots that were mind-blowing. Will need to see again though. Phoenix 4 best actor.

Captures the American climate of today where distractions (military/religion/media) can lead one to losing out on their dreams. The ending gets better on return viewings and makes more sense because it wraps up Phoenix's transformation that he is his own master and was always capable of being that on his own.

Definitely will be seeing this a few times. 2nd viewing was better than first.

Yeah, I am going again on Friday.

Besides the amazing cinematography, acting, and time travelling aesthetics that PTA took so much effort to capture and make as real as possible, this film feels original. Like another director could have tried to take on the same picture and it would be a completely different film, probably a hilarious version of the film, but just would feel forced.

I think repeat viewings will allow me to love this film more and more.

So much depth.

So much to talk about and learn about human nature from this film.

I am still excite.

This film is a chrysalis and will change with each viewing.

PTA IS FILM WIZARD!

In the tv trailer, they show Joaquin banging on the window at night.

I don't remember that happening. I remember the scene where he walks back and forth between the wall and the window for several hours, but that doesn't continue into the evening, does it?

If not, it must have been cut out. I wonder if it was originally scripted to have him going back and forth over night.

Either that or I am losing my short term memory.

Quite possible.

• 4 months later...
Guest RadarJammer

loved almost every minute but don't think it's the kind of movie i could watch twice. tons of references to different aspects of scientology in a way that most people who see this won't catch, all i saw when watching this was a huge middle finger to scientology

this movie was pretty tough for me to watch because it's difficult to empathize with anyone in it. i'm curious as to what you all think about it. i think the sexual undertones are pretty strong (obviously) but i'm not sure how they play into the overall theme or whatever of the movie. thoughts?

Lancaster Dodd wanted to be a freewheeling scoundrel like Freddie, and he wanted to "cure" him and use him as his pet project to prove that his fraud religion was actually real. They are basically the same person, but two sides of the same coin. They both envy eachother's position in some ways. In the end when Dodd tells Freddie where they met before, he says that only two mail balloons they set free when on duty did not reach their destination. (Kind of like Freddie and Dodd, they are lost souls trying to find what to do with their lives.) When Dodd's wife confronts him, jerks him off and says that they can longer have any free love in the cult, it is even more clear how similar the two of them are. Besides that, Freddie manufactured his own booze to deal with his problems, which sometimes got him in trouble - Dodd manufactured his own intoxicating religion to deal with it, also getting himself into trouble. They were both running from things, Dodd with his former wives and legal troubles, Freddie with his sketchy past, family and accidental poisoning. Dodd even wanted to beat that guy up for being really skeptical of The Cause, calling him a "pig fuck"(lol) but Freddie had the balls to actually do it. Freddie also had the balls to confront his own past (try to find his old girlfriend) and then leave the cause because he realized he could be his own master if he wanted to. He saw Dodd's point and rode towards it, never looking back.

Lancaster Dodd wanted to be a freewheeling scoundrel like Freddie, and he wanted to "cure" him and use him as his pet project to prove that his fraud religion was actually real. They are basically the same person, but two sides of the same coin. They both envy eachother's position in some ways. In the end when Dodd tells Freddie where they met before, he says that only two mail balloons they set free when on duty did not reach their destination. (Kind of like Freddie and Dodd, they are lost souls trying to find what to do with their lives.) When Dodd's wife confronts him, jerks him off and says that they can longer have any free love in the cult, it is even more clear how similar the two of them are. Besides that, Freddie manufactured his own booze to deal with his problems, which sometimes got him in trouble - Dodd manufactured his own intoxicating religion to deal with it, also getting himself into trouble. They were both running from things, Dodd with his former wives and legal troubles, Freddie with his sketchy past, family and accidental poisoning. Dodd even wanted to beat that guy up for being really skeptical of The Cause, calling him a "pig fuck"(lol) but Freddie had the balls to actually do it. Freddie also had the balls to confront his own past (try to find his old girlfriend) and then leave the cause because he realized he could be his own master if he wanted to. He saw Dodd's point and rode towards it, never looking back.

Nice summary.

I haven't seen the movie yet but that summary makes it sound kind of meh. Also "Lancaster Dodd" sounds like the sort of name that is trying too hard to be a period name.

Still love PTA and will see this one some day.

I haven't seen the movie yet but that summary makes it sound kind of meh. Also "Lancaster Dodd" sounds like the sort of name that is trying too hard to be a period name.

I can see what you mean but the movie more about the characters than the actual story. You should definitely watch it.

Guest Shit Attack

easily favourite pta movie so far , there was something weird and original about this movie. altho like there will be blood it needed something extra towards the end to be super amazingly great so it falls just a little bit short. Somehow both those movies seem too long and too short at the same time and end up a little bit unsatisfying overall . i also tend to like movies with unlikeable/troubled characters in them tho so not surprised it was a flop, i mean if j phoenix was a real dude you would do everything you could to avoid him, he was almost more like a mangy dog than a human. Most people would find watching this guy for 2 hours pretty unpleasant. altho i could still "empathise" with him and maybe hoffman a bit too . maybe thats not such a good thing. also j greenwood's score fitted better than in " twbb " i thought. also liked the way they took the piss out of "the cause"/ scientology in a subtle way, by having the followers say really ridiculous shit with totally straight faces as if what they were saying made total sense, and in the end j phoenix was probably the most sane out of the lot of them.......and he was a total fucking weirdo

final score eight cruise's out of a possible ten travolta's

Archived