IGNORED

Paul Thomas Anderson - The Master

Redruth

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Isn't this pretty much disguised non fiction about the origins of Scientology? Either way seems like it should be really interesting.

I am beyond pumped about this. When PTA comes out with a movie, you're guaranteed to get something out of it. He's one of the sharpest directors around.

It'll have the creepy, cultish elements of Scientology, a score by Jonny Greenwood, Philip Seymour Hoffman basically playing L. Ron, Joaquin back on the big screen, Amy Adams :wang: and all kinds of cinematic boners. I'll watch the shit out of it.

Guest RadarJammer

Isn't this pretty much disguised non fiction about the origins of Scientology? Either way seems like it should be really interesting.

The name of Philip Seymour Hoffman's character's wife is Mary Sue Dodd and in real life L Ron Hubbard's wife was Mary Sue Hubbard so it's fair to say it's probably a fictionalized account of some kind.

In Scientology world they would call this movie a "PR flap"

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Gary C

Interesting.

Gotta stop talking about Kubrick in Anderson conversations, but that last shot of the table reminded me of The Shining... and Phoenix seems to be channelling the incredible charisma of Nicholson again.

He's going all Daniel Plainview with his eyes. I like it.

Also, yes. I don't know if it's how it's shot or whether Phoenix dehydrated himself, but his pupils are a wonderful tired colour.

Guest RadarJammer

ok...

Yeah that would look like a pretty boring and pointless teaser if you didn't know much about what was about to happen in that scene. You can see on his desk at the end of the clip a weird box which is probably supposed to be something like a Mathison Electropsychometer which is used as a crude lie detector.

understanding-the-e-meter-1.jpg

And here is travolta on a more modern version, doing the same thing that Pheonix's character is about to do.

travolta.jpg

Guest teetime

Very nice teaser. Beautifully played by joaquin. Exquiste -non color graded(thank god!) genuine analog beautifully framed images and a new spin of greenwood soundtrack work.

For me it is the most anticipated movie since seeing there will be blood, which is still in a leauge of its own.

Guest teetime

I am excite.

edit: they are obviously not asking barbarino about male on male massage sex.

edit 2: or are they...

I think this were it is going. No really i think it is!

I think it gives you a glimpse of how unsettling the movie will be in its own subtle way and showcasing how great Joaquin will be, while still leaving you wanting more. (Hoffman, Amy Adams, creepy auditing techniques and cultish shit.) My audit says that I'm pumped.

So the teaser is out for the new Paul Thomas Anderson movie... Just from the vague 2 minute teaser, I'm already really interested in the movie. I know it's only 2 minutes of footage but Joaqin Phoenix looks like he's gonna do a great job. Idk, either way it looks intriguing and this teaser gives me chills, in the good way. Also the film is said to be shot entirely on 65mm film.

[media=]

[/media]

IMDB synopsis: A 1950s-set drama centered on the relationship between a charismatic intellectual known as "the Master" whose faith-based organization begins to catch on in America, and a young drifter who becomes his right-hand man.

The synopsis doesn't really seem to fit what's shown in the trailer but idk... I've heard people say supposedly it has similarities with they story of L. Ron Hubbard and the origins of Scientology?

Thoughts?

Archived