IGNORED

Your Stereo

Hugh Mughnus

Some very nice setups around here!

My stereo monitors are Bowers & Wilkins 684s...

B_W_684_4b4d599937ec5__74694_zoom.jpg

Running through a some massive Tributaries audio cables with bi-wired ends...

_1010132.JPG

into a LINN Classik Music preamp...

Linn%20Movie%20Classik.jpg

I use the optical in on the back to go from my Auzentech soundcard to my LINN.

I also have a Project Xpression turntable with Moon LP3 turntable preamp...

Project_Xpression_-_2.jpg

lg_moonlp3.jpg

Sounds great, but my room needs to be acoustically modified still to get the most out of it all. For headphone monitoring I use Grado SR325i's...

grado_sr325i.jpg

Some very nice setups!

I'll take some proper pics when at home, but got a MF A100 amp:

IMG_3266.jpg

Tannoy Fusion 1s

FUSION-1.jpg

an old Rega P2

001-9.jpg

An AirPort to stream digital music from sources. Want to upgrade my speakers at some point but in no hurry. I've got my stereo and speakers on good stands, but my lounge floor is above our cellar so I'm worried that a loud rig would sound too boomy, and annoying the neighbours! My current stereo can crank up pretty loud anyway.

Currently have a Technics SL-1210 MKII hooked up to a Harman Kardon stereo receiver (nothing fancy, definitely entry-level shit) which run out to Pioneer floorstanding speakers. No photos because who gives a shit what it looks like, I really don't have an attractive set-up.

Denon HD2500 + BU4500 CD + DNX50 mixer

SoundTech PL200 studio amp

HHB Circle 5 monitors

Musical Fidelity X10D valve stage (need to get the mod kit)

BBE 362 (mainly used to beef up shitty mp3's)

Novation Nio external usb soundcard

trolly rackmount which fits most of the above

very thick maplins oxy free speaker cable

home made oxy free phono cables (also maplins)

bricks for speaker mounts

rugs on walls

also have an old knackered 2.1 (was 5.1 DTS) and yamaha eq for parties and playstation

sadly no pics as its all in boxes till i get a new gaff

Edited by soundwave

• 9 months later...

Finally got around to getting a picture. Note my new addition: the Pro-Ject turntable!

Guess I should have listed what everything is... Two Velodyne DPS12 subs, pair of Cerwin e-715s, parasound HCA1500a power amp, and a sony something or other reciever. And my Project Debut 3 carbon USB!

7nxoTlcl.jpg

Edited by StephenG

Just moved to a new place last week, got my work/listening place started. Pretty streamlined, component-wise.

3aruhaby.jpg

L to R:

Fluorescent Grey - Ambiente;

$150 crosley turntable my gf got me for x-mas (audio-technica cartridge) which I need to buy a phono stage for-- it's no rega but it's user adjustable and doesn't sound bad at all;

Grado HF-2 and Sennheiser HD-650 headphones (sitting on a teacup (?) holder from bed bath & beyond which works perfectly as a headphone stand);

Audioengine A5 monitors;

Headphones and monitors running from an Apogee Duet (first gen, firewire) I/O and DAC/headphone amp unit;

Apogee Duet is fed lossless files (usually) from a new 27" iMac;

Little Samsung external burner for ripping CDs;

A kaleidoscope thingy;

And I really need to get new curtains for this room

Edited by baph

Just moved to a new place last week, got my work/listening place started. Pretty streamlined, component-wise.

3aruhaby.jpg

L to R:

$150 crosley turntable my gf got me for x-mas (audio-technica cartridge) which I need to buy a phono stage for-- it's no rega but it's user adjustable and doesn't sound bad at all;

Grado HF-2 and Sennheiser HD-650 headphones (sitting on a teacup (?) holder from bed bath & beyond which works perfectly as a headphone stand);

Audioengine A5 monitors;

Headphones and monitors running from an Apogee Duet (first gen, firewire) I/O and DAC/headphone amp unit;

A kaleidoscope thingy;

Is that an Apogee Duo? Was thinking of getting one for live guitar/vocals - any good?

Sennheiser's HD 25-C II [headphones].

I wish I had decent speakers and subwoofer, but my bedroom is too small for the size desk I want, the desk I have now is too small. I have an iMac and a small TV crewed to the wall [not the Mac], a light thingy and on the left of me is a small space left for small things, but it looks like a total mess really quickly, so... So I don't know where I should keep the speakers, let alone the sub.

I hope I can move out soon or my bro, so I can have a bigger room [in both situations], then I can buy the speakers I want...

It really sucks to have to make all my music with my headphones and then before finishing the track, listening to it in my bro's room because he does have a sub [his room is bigger than mine which irritates me a lot].

Guest Franklin

All I've got is my on-board soundcard (on an i7 920) and Bowers and Wilkins computer speakers (mm-1s)

for headphones I'm using audio-technica a700s

how much better are your guys' setups gonna be?

All I've got is my on-board soundcard (on an i7 920) and Bowers and Wilkins computer speakers (mm-1s)

for headphones I'm using audio-technica a700s

how much better are your guys' setups gonna be?

Depends what you're looking for!

I like different listening experiences. The setup I posted is my main setup that I use for most of my electronic music. I like headphones (those audio technica ones you've got are pretty good) for lots of music.

Not always a matter of "better" with vintage equipment either, I think it's more a question of "different", in terms of colouration etc... I dunno

Logitech X230's with some rather old JVC stacked radio/casette & CD player -- a AL-E21 turntable at the top. my speakers have served me for years and I don't really feel the need to replace them

20130214170743z.jpg

Technics SL-1200 Limited

Pioneer SX 535

Tascam US122mkii

Technics SU-A900D

Magnat Vector 203

Beyerdynamic DT770/250ohm, Beyerdynamic T50p

need to get a subwoofer and more vintage stuff...

nice chill zone.

DOOM REPREZENT

red and green looks good! that chair looks absurdly uncomfortable though... what is it?

The orangey-red chair is a wooden Pottery Barn swivel desk chair, part of a collection with those side tables. The desk is from Pottery Barn, too. I think it's all discontinued. I kind of inherited them from my girlfriend since I like them and the desk is huge enough for me, and she just has a 13" notebook. The chair is actually nicely contoured to my bum and back and very comfy without cushioning. It's fucking miraculous.

3aruhaby.jpg

L to R:

Audioengine A5 monitors;

A kaleidoscope thingy;

Is that an Apogee Duo? Was thinking of getting one for live guitar/vocals - any good?

(Sorry for quoting myself, I can't take the pic out without fucking the quote system)

Yeah, it's a first generation Apogee Duet (the one that uses Firewire 400 instead of USB 2). For the price and the size, the sound quality is pretty amazing. Since OS X Lion, though, the drivers have been a little flaky. I've got mine working ok again (it's plugged in all the time now; if I unplug it I'll be stuck doing a plug/unplug/try/try again ritual for 20 minutes or so the next time I want to use it. It was flawless under all previous versions of OS X.

The Duet 2 (USB) might work better or worse, I don't know. The folks at Gearslutz seem to love/hate.

It's a shame Apogee's not cranking out fixes for these things, because when they work they are astoundingly good. Mine doubles really well as an integrated DAC/headphone amp, to the extent I'd have to shell out big bucks to get any better in a discrete unit.

lol "Discreet Unit"

Edited by baph

Currently:

Technics SA-929 receiver

Realistic MC-1800 speakers

pfrsApO.jpg

^GW buys woot (gave the deck below to a friend)

Tape decks:

JVC TD-V541 3-head

Sanyo RD-5372 3-head

Sony TC-WE475 dual deck

I've probably gone through 4 other decks in trades/CL buys. The JVC has awesome playback sound.

And...

Centrex RH-65 8-track player. Yes an 8-track player. Apparently one of the "best" ever made, found it on craigslist.

Been trying to find a decent turntable and a 70s receiver or amp/tuner with little luck: Austin is heavy on collectors and low on vintage gear to score cheap.

For my room, I have this eyesore

harman-kardon-soundsticks-iii-aw.jpg

It does quite well actually.

My dad's stereo system, however, is much more on par with your guys' systems. Seriously good system he has set up.

I have one of these

IMG_0023.JPG

I got it for free for helping a guy move. The bass is great for what it is. The only con is that there's no port for me to plug my mp3 player in. I mostly play my laptop out of it (and it's the only CD player I own that supports mini-discs. I've been moving once per year lately, so I doubt I'll be investing in a real stereo system anytime soon.

I really want a record player.

Lenco L78 turntable

DSC00364.JPG

Kenwood KA-3300 amplifier

img2570_40329.jpg

Celestion Ditton 11 speakers

Casse%20Celestion%20Ditton%2011.JPG

+ Bettor AK-610 radio tuner and an old panasonic discman, all through regular cables. Nothing fancy

Edited by ThatSpanishGuy