IGNORED

posh beers and ales and stuff thread

kaini

aww yeah my local place got the black sheep imperial stout back in stock. have four of them squirreled away for tonight, but i'm tempted to crack one open now and have a cigar to go with it.

I'm not learned on beer whatsoever... just try a lot of different ones and expensive ones without much background knowledge.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend something that tastes like Guiness Draught. I'm sitting here with one, and I realized just then that this is my favorite beer. I can see that statement inviting ridicule, but it's true. I think it's delicious, and if there's anything else like it I'd love to give it a try!

I actually got into beer via Guinness, and I don't think yours is a position that invites ridicule. I don't rate Guinness too highly these days, but only because I've had much better.... But that required trial and error and looking for things thy aren't readily available. Which isn't easy when your grocer has 9/10 of its display devote to bud.

If you can, try a Guinness Foreign Extra stout. Definitely a step or ten up. It's pretty legitimately good. If you like it, or at least think it's interesting, I'd recommend going to beeradvocate.com and searching the rankings for stout styles, reading reviews (always with a grain of salt) and trying out a few as you find ones that spark your interest.

edit: sorry, I fucked up on tapatalk and triple posted this shit. Duplicates hidden, mods plz delete them if they fuck things up.

i know it's really a beer cliche, but guinness outside ireland is a completely different beast to what we have here. i said it to my ex, and she was all 'guinness? yucky nasty bitter horrible shit'. and then she tried what it's like here. she exclusively drank guinness from then on. completely different animals. i dunno why, it just is.

Edited by kaini

got very drunk on The Balvenie 12 year old single malt last night with a mate. was just drinking it over ice and got through a whole bottle by the end of the night. ended up nearly properly fighting my friend over control of the computer/music....whisky man, powerful stuff.

8v251.jpg

Edited by BCM

yeah man, i like an islay. going to steer clear of whisky for a bit after last night though...i'm not at all violent usually, but was so close to coming to blows with one of my best mates over fuck all.

*shudders*

i tend to not drink whiskey very often precisely because of that. it's basically distilled fighting.

also, fuck ice. just a DROP of some spring/distilled water makes a whiskey, never have anything else in mine.

Edited by kaini

i tend to not drink whiskey very often precisely because of that. it's basically distilled fighting.

also, fuck ice. just a DROP of some spring/distilled water makes a whiskey, never have anything else in mine.

its odd that whiskey is the fighting drink...for me its vodka.

last time me and a friend split a bottle of Jameson a few years back and just spent the night talking and smoking cigs, one of the best times ive ever had. great night.

so for hurricane prep I bought another bottle of Positive Contact (this shit seriously is on the level, if you are an ale man, grab a bottle pronto), and it was one sale, so I bought this:

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/220/35397/?ba=kiya

sounds really interesting....and beeradvocate really has yet to drive me wrong....the bottle was also only 5 bucks, a steal!!!

Gentlemen, I am prepared for the storm.

Also really hoping I can pick some of this up from the shop before it sells out... Surly is a truly great local brewery, not sure you can get any of their stuff outside of Minnesota or Wisconsin though.. The Darkness is a limited run imperial stout they do every year around Halloween and the few years I have gotten in it's damn good. Problem is it sells FAST. If it's sold out already, I'll probably pick up the Narwhal.

SurlyDarknessVertical-500x373.jpg

Edit: Ah Darkness Days is this weekend at the brewery limited to 1500 bottles, and 8oz sampler and the rest hits stores Nov. 5, can't go to the fest because I have to work tonight but I will patiently wait til Nov. 5th (Yes, it's THAT good)

Edited by ghOsty

I'm not learned on beer whatsoever... just try a lot of different ones and expensive ones without much background knowledge.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend something that tastes like Guiness Draught. I'm sitting here with one, and I realized just then that this is my favorite beer. I can see that statement inviting ridicule, but it's true. I think it's delicious, and if there's anything else like it I'd love to give it a try!

I actually got into beer via Guinness, and I don't think yours is a position that invites ridicule. I don't rate Guinness too highly these days, but only because I've had much better.... But that required trial and error and looking for things thy aren't readily available. Which isn't easy when your grocer has 9/10 of its display devote to bud.

If you can, try a Guinness Foreign Extra stout. Definitely a step or ten up. It's pretty legitimately good. If you like it, or at least think it's interesting, I'd recommend going to beeradvocate.com and searching the rankings for stout styles, reading reviews (always with a grain of salt) and trying out a few as you find ones that spark your interest.

edit: sorry, I fucked up on tapatalk and triple posted this shit. Duplicates hidden, mods plz delete them if they fuck things up.

i know it's really a beer cliche, but guinness outside ireland is a completely different beast to what we have here. i said it to my ex, and she was all 'guinness? yucky nasty bitter horrible shit'. and then she tried what it's like here. she exclusively drank guinness from then on. completely different animals. i dunno why, it just is.

I believe it! The stuff sold in the US as Guinness (not the Extra Stout or Foreign Extra Stout which are good) sort of tastes like heavily diluted scorched coffee. I can't imagine it flying in Ireland at all. Wish I could try the real deal.

If we're talking Islay, I've got some tasty Bruichladdich Classic edition_01 lined up for tonight. Nice stuff. Trying to get some of the Laddie 10 to compare it to. Hard to find a place that stocks it.

Edit: neat with just a drop, only pls

Edited by baph

I found the Southern Tier Creme Brulee Stout! (I forget who recommended it to me.) Gonna share it w my wife when she visits. ... FUCK career-mandated long-distance!

i used to be like that, but now have whisky with one ice cube, as I do like it chilled and you should drink it slowly so that the cube completely melts.

I tend to drink low priced single malts like highland park, bowmore, as well as Jamesons and teachers. Glenlivet and Auchentoshan are my favourites

I had an epic night last night. There was an event called Robtoberfest, hosted by the owner of the best liquor store here in Wichita, Goebels Liquor. Over 400 beers, most of which you can't buy here in KS, plus beers from his personal cellar.

20121027_161227.jpg

That picture doesn't even include the fridge packed with the best beers that he introduced and passed around. Highlights included: Avery The Beast (2004 vintage). A test batch of Boulevard Brewing Co. Bourbon Barrel Quad from 2007, and their collaboration with Sierra Nevada that was only poured at SAVOR in D.C. earlier this year called Terra Incognita. I also had a few different Stone Brewing Co. Epic Verticals, Best by 11.09.12, and 10th Anniversary Ruination. Dogfish Head Bitches Brew, Ommegang Aphrodite, Deschutes Black Butte XX, XXIII, and XIV, and so many more....

I checked in to over 60 beers on untappd yesterday (add me up if you use it too) and that wasn't even all of them. It was an awesome time all around, tons of amazing beers, lots of good food, and lots of cool people!

Edited by hautlle

Damn hautile, that sounds like an awesome time, great list of beers... How was that Ommegang Aphrodite? Some lady at the shop I work at was talking about it last night, but our shop doesn't carry it this time of year.

Got 2 bombers of Surly Darkness reserved to pick up tomorrow, and the next 2 days off :biggrin:

I really enjoyed it, it was the only beer that I took multiple samples of. Nice raspberry/apple/pear notes up front with really well balanced tartness that finished dry. If you like lambics/sours definitely pick it up if you have the chance.

I've been drinking New Belgium Abbey and Trippel lately.

Also i just moved back to Nashville and there are some good local breweries. Yazoo makes a good IPA and a good amber ale, and a place called Blackstone makes some nice beers also. The actual place has a weird atmosphere but its a good place to get a growler. I like their american pale ale.