IGNORED

What Video Games Are You Currently Playing

Joyrex

I really love the setting in AC3.

But the protagonist Connor, is just awful. He reminds me of the Jedi's in the awful new Star Wars movies. Idealistic, righteous and really fucking boring. And he's just this puppet that does whatever he's told. Him and he's learning master Archilles also has the same character play the Jedi's had in the new Star Wars movies, they're always pissed and questioning eachtogether. What's is the appeal in that, how am I supposed to care about these two grumpy and boring people?

Overall he's just very unlikable and unrelatable to me. Shame, because I thought Ezio was such an fun character in AC2.

Edited by Npoess

I really love the setting in AC3.

But the protagonist Connor, is just awful. He reminds me of the Jedi's in the new Star Wars movies. Idealistic, righteous and really fucking boring. And he's just this puppet that does whatever he's told. Him and he's learning master Archilles also has the same character play the Jedi's had in the new Star Wars movies, they're always pissed at eachtogether and questioning eachtogether. What's is the appeal in that, how am I supposed to care about these two grumpy and boring people?

Overall he's just very unlikable and unrelatable to me. Shame, because I thought Ezio was such an fun character in AC2.

He's doing what he's told, because all he cares about is getting revenge on the people who burned down his village and killed his mom and friends. Connor doesn't really give a shit about the whole civil war between the blue- and redcoats, and considering how most of the people he meets are total assholes anyway, I don't see a reason not to be bitter about the whole thing.

Also, I don't know how far you are into the game, but he does seem to change quite a bit (especially near the end). Remember to do the homestead missions after the game.

Edited by Friendly Foil

I've just reached New York.

AC2 had the same premise. Ezio's motivation was revenge his dead family. But it was just so much more interesting in that game. Connor's mother in AC3 was another dull and forgettable character. I didn't give a shit when she died.

And if you're going to create a game based on real historic events with all this ridiculous Assassins vs. Templars conspiracy fiction going on, then don't take yourself too seriously. At least AC2 tried to have a bit of fun with it. AC3 has the same problem as the first game, in that regard.

Anyway, I don't really care that much about the story in Assassins Creed. The main appeal of the series has always been the settings, and they are really nailing that stuff. And why haven't any other games (other than some niche RTS titles maybe) set a game in the American Revoluion era. It's such a fun new place to experience in a video game.

Edited by Npoess

I got resident evil 5 for free from ps+.... Holy shit what a disappointment. It's basically a 3rd person zombie shoot-em-up. They really dropped the ball with that one. I'm sure RE6 is probably more of the same. It seems really hard too, and that's coming from someone who beat Dark Souls up to NG+++. Fuck this game. DELETED.

I got resident evil 5 for free from ps+.... Holy shit what a disappointment. It's basically a 3rd person zombie shoot-em-up. They really dropped the ball with that one. I'm sure RE6 is probably more of the same. It seems really hard too, and that's coming from someone who beat Dark Souls up to NG+++. Fuck this game. DELETED.

I think RE4 was Capcom's peak in the Biohazard/Resident Evil series. RE5 was basically RE4 with a new paint job.

I think RE4 was Capcom's peak in the Biohazard/Resident Evil series. RE5 was basically RE4 with a new paint job.

But RE4 was great and RE5 sucked shit.

But RE4 was great and RE5 sucked shit.

Yeah RE4 was definitely better. RE5 just felt like Capcom recycled bits from RE4, without making any real changes to gameplay. And the inventory system in RE5 was a steaming pile of crap - only 9 items per player, meaning a big-ass Gatling gun takes up the same amount of space as an herb.

They recycled pretty much everything but somehow made it worse. First of all, they've used the death animations from RE4 in both RE5 and RE6 which is embarrassing, and then they went completely dude-bro with the characters in RE5. Chris looked like a fucking joke with arms the size of a dinner table. RE4 was kinda scary here and there (especially those tall grey fuckers that would stretch their arms and grab you) but it was all about having fun. And fun was had. Remember, RE4 came out on the GameCube and the controls took some getting used to - not just because of the layout but because of the stupid control scheme. When RE5 came out it was for the 360 and PS3 and most third person games were so easy to control on those consoles, but the whole idea of making games intuitive and easy control had not been developed on for RE5. At least, it didn't seem like it. The controls were shitty. Everything about RE5 was shitty. And yes, it might have looked nice, but it was so god damn static.

I've only played the RE6 demo and it didn't do me any good. I liked the fact that you can shoot of bits and pieces off the zombies, but again the controls are so fucking shitty. My friend and I took forever to figure out how to do the dodge move, and it required like 3 button pushes. RE6 is split up into 3 stories - each one representing horror, action and then something else. The one that really stood out to me was the action part, because it was far worse than what I could have imagined. It was an uncontrollable mess.

Super Mario Galaxy 2. Already have 151 stars. Took me so long to get the 120th star, I hate Roller Coaster Galaxy's Purple Coins on the Rainbow Road. Need to get all the green stars now.

Guest Pennywise

RE4 was really creepy. The scary music was really great too. The music in RE5 is shit in comparison.

creepiest moments for me were when you...

-fight the weird fork-tonged guy in the elevated cages.

-waiting for the lift to come up whilst fighting or running from the big monster with the tail.

-fucking dog maze.

damn good game.

The 60fps / resolution setting one ? Nah, currently just using the stock settings - I'm not sure my lappy could handle it anyway, the giant rat boss I've encountered about a couple of hours in seems to drop to

Cool cheers man. BTW due to a control balls up I attacked the first two npc characters that you meet (as in the grass area, one was a knight type guy who talked like a paedophile and then the fatter man just up the steps who also talked like an abuser) they then attacked me on sight even after they killed me so I had to draw the bastards over the edges of cliffs. Have I screwed things up already?

Well kind of.... The fat guy sells miracles, and it may hinder another NPC from showing up. I usually kill him last thing before I beat the game. as far as the depressed knight, nah, no biggie.

Neither of them are game breakers though.

Cool cheers man. BTW due to a control balls up I attacked the first two npc characters that you meet (as in the grass area, one was a knight type guy who talked like a paedophile and then the fatter man just up the steps who also talked like an abuser) they then attacked me on sight even after they killed me so I had to draw the bastards over the edges of cliffs. Have I screwed things up already?

You don't need em. First knight is an arsehole anyway

he eventually attacks you

and Fatty is only helpful if you're going for a faith/miracle-using build.

Lone Survivor. A very scary game.

It's great, proper Survival Horror. Scary and hard!

Edited by Iain C

You don't need em. First knight is an arsehole anyway

he eventually attacks you

and Fatty is only helpful if you're going for a faith/miracle-using build.

Sweet - As with all RPGs I tend to go the melee wielding warrior type so doesn't look like I've done too much damage. I guess it's a good job I found out about the 'fragility' of NPCs this early on so I'm wary of what I'm doing.

Been ill for the last week so have been hammering the Xbox big time. So here's what I've been playing!

Dark Souls!

I love this game. I started a new game for the third time, did a straight up warrior for a change as I usually play agile characters. I fucking love the start of this game, I'll probably be replaying this for years to come. The only problem is as soon as I get to the abyss sections below Quelaags domain I start tiring of the game. I think I have a thing about fighting large monsters in games, I never find them all that fun. When it becomes a case of me standing back to dodge their attacks, then running in and jabbing them once or twice, then running back again the challenge disappears and it all becomes a bit boring.

Between my three playthroughs of Dark Souls all up to the same point I've racked up 150 hours and I still adore the game.. I just need to break through that barrier and carry on to complete the fucking thing.

Resident Evil 4

I bought this years ago along with the special Resident Evil 4 limited edition GameCube and like Dark Souls, got to a point where I felt the fun of the early part of the game disappeared and put it down for a long time. Earlier this year I snapped up the HD edition on the Xbox due to fond memories and after the first village stopped playing. This last week I started it again, completed it twice in two says and wondered why the hell I left it so long!

It's got to be one of the best designed games ever made. Playing it really crystallizes why 5 and 6 just don't work, it was wonderfully original (for its time) and changed the way games are made. My only gripes with it are the occasional QTE bits which I don't find fun at all; PRESS A TO NOT DIE.

Also it's brilliantly replayable. I love games that give you the option to start again with everything obtained the previous time.

GTA 4.

All the excitement about about GTA V made me want to run through this again. I never completed Ballad of Gay Tony as the last mission (I think) had me utterly stumped. Basically skipping cutscenes and tearing through the game to get the Liberty City Minute achievement and a few other ones I never got first time round.

I know a lot of people turned against GTA4 after originally liking it but I still think it's a stone cold classic. Really enjoying it.

I actually slipped GTA4 into my Xbox yesterday and took it for a spin after a year or more away from it. It's still fun, but the movement and shooting seems a little clumsy after Red Dead Redemption.

They don't do much really, Crestfallen complains and tells you where the bells are and will turn hollow if you chat to him too much.

Petrus is a dickhead who kills one of the only genuinely nice NPCs in the game. So murder him relentlessly for the rest of eternity.