Managed to get myself to the cinema and caught Gravity. I enjoyed it. Very slick and well done. The soundtrack intrigued me while I was watching and listening to it alone without the visual onslaught makes it stand out. Also Sandra Bullocks legs were impressive.

Edited by azatoth

I also just finished watching Prisoners, the Jackman and Gyllenhaal thriller. Thought both did a good job, especially Gyllenhaal did a good job as a slightly unhinged detective. And is Paul Dano forever typecast as a weirdo?

frances ha

i found a puzzle box on a recent trip to morocco. i brought it home with me, waiting until deep in the night to finally solve its riddle. the box eventually opened and horrific figures appeared. one of them, a pale man with pins in his head and nipple clamps, asked if i wanted to know true pain. then, from a pan dimensional gateway to hell, he produced the criterion collection blu-ray/dvd combo pack of frances ha.

lol

Guest Jimmy McMessageboard

if you want to get behind low budget independant films then check out Shane Carruth ATOP. the man is a genius. mumblecore is for idiots.

in before atop punishes you for thinking he doesn't know carruth.

also this carruth fellow has only made 2 films. is atop just going to watch those on repeat forever and ignore all other films?

i haven't seen frances ha but i heard some good things about it

yeah, fuck all ya'lls!

I can enjoy whatever I want to damnit!

ANEURYSM~~~~~~~~BRAYNEBLO

I enjoyed Frances Ha.

Is it my favourite film? Fuck no!

The story is original. Yes it has many guises and I normally dislike this type of film. I was impressed that I enjoyed it but I really like The Squid. Greenberg not so much, except for the line, "Hurt people hurt people." I like that.

And yes MadameChaos, I know of Carruth, he is from my hometown.

His films are nothing like Noah Baumbach's.

Film that I just watched and enjoyed is a little indie number named Satanico Pandemonium.

I dare all of you to watch it.

Edited by Atop

Happy People: A Year in the Taiga - 8/10 - interesting and well edited documentary that puts the focus on its subjects to provide the necessary information.

Dead Man - 7/10 - Beautiful film, and my favorite performance by Johnny Depp i've seen. This is a story that feels like it carries an old soul with it... Has a few flaws imo but they aren't anything worth getting into. Great experience.

Leviathan 2012

Went to see this in the cinema yesterday, last showing ever...power cut 25mins in!

However, it did seem to be an extremely interesting and unique documentary - definitely not for the faint'film fan at heart in terms of its Art House qualities - for example it has scenes where the camera stays on a fishing net in the rough seas for about 8minutes...awesome!

will download and watch further/10

leviathan_01.jpg

220px-Cleopatra-VHS.jpg

this is a pretty insane piece of anime. it's like a sex comedy version of the fall of egypt at the hands of ceasar who's obsessed with cleopatra's cleavage. the story was written by osamu tezuka who is considered the walt disney of anime- so imagine if disney had done a sex comedy of the american civil war.

when the film was released in the united states, the distributors decided to bypass the MPAA and decided to give the film an x certificate and thus it found the wrong audience (raincoaters) who unfortunately didn't appreciate it too much and for a while, it was believed to have been lost.

I bet a lot of people saw AE talking about Shane Carruth and watched Primer for the first time while they were going through AAA.

I actually saw it and his newest in the theaters, not really a fan of Primer but on a second viewing of Upstream Color I enjoyed it a lot more.

There were a lot of firsts that came out of that thread though, lots of new music obtained because of it.

you guys and gals still need to watch this:

19694687.jpg?1600

I bet a lot of people saw AE talking about Shane Carruth and watched Primer for the first time while they were going through AAA.

i bet (actually i know) a lot of people watched Primer when it came out I DID IM SO COOL

i bet (actually i know) a lot of people watched Primer when it came out I DID IM SO COOL

Me too. I was 16. All my friends hated it BUT I KNEW!!!!

that is how I felt about Lost Highway.

and Dune,

People still knockin Dune.

Lynch hates on Dune.

I love Dune.

Don't go there zaphod!

Primer has too much exposition imo.

I want to see what is happening, most of the time.

Primer as a novel would have been more interesting.

Upstream Color is a lot more minimal in that way.

It unfolds without explaining itself too much.

that is how I felt about Lost Highway.

and Dune,

People still knockin Dune.

Lynch hates on Dune.

I love Dune.

Don't go there zaphod!

Primer has too much exposition imo.

I want to see what is happening, most of the time.

Primer as a novel would have been more interesting.

Upstream Color is a lot more

minimal in that way.

It unfolds without explaining itself too much.

lynch is in good company because i hate dune too. i love mulholland drive. i think it's maybe the best film of the last decade. but dune can eat a bag of spiced dicks.

imma address the rest of this post since you said my name. you know when you say my name the little kid i pay to google me rings a bell and i wake up and start posting.

i like primer, more in that i admire it than anything else. it isn't a very good movie, but it's interesting. it reminds me of something ted chiang would have written. if you're not familiar with him, he's one of the best sf writers of the last twenty years. writes technically proficient, realistic sf in a pared down style, very good at readable and emotionally involving info dumps. only does short stories.

upstream color was kind of boring. some real bad acting. carruth should not act in his films. i know he's talented, but he doesn't need to take that on. however, the score and some of the ideas in the film were engaging. i own it on blu ray and break it out sometimes to get an ambient atmosphere somewhere between lost in translation/eternal sunshine and david lynch. i don't think it's a successful film because carruth had to go around to festivals and tell people what it's about, but i admire his ability to create in a self sufficient manner outside the studio system. jury's still out on whether he's going to be remembered as more than a footnote in twenty years.

NO you dint!

:w00t:

I will check out that author.

Read my first Grabinski story the other day.

Fumes.

I will read the rest soon.

You have great taste man.

Tis a shame I am the only fan of Dune.

Tis a shame I am the only fan of Dune.

I like Dune even though I acknowledge it's a bad film. Sting makes me all wet.

fix't for you

So I just saw Gravity, finally.

Great film! It was probably more of an 8/10, but I'll give it a 9/10 for being groundbreaking and ballsy. Lovely CG for the most part, better than Avatar for example. Some of the dialogue was clunky and the ending went a bit too over the top, but I really admired what they were trying to do with the film as a whole. Gave me some big feels from time to time, too. Would recommend it to anyone.

My wife, being a country girl, didn't understand any of it. "So...they're on another planet right?" Um...