IGNORED

Jon Hopkins - Immunity

Redruth

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Milkweg

Never heard Hopkins before this album and after reading here it sounds as though I'll have to go digging in his back catalog.

The next single is an updated version of one of the album tracks, but featuring Purity Ring.

Excited to hear that.

Never heard Hopkins before this album and after reading here it sounds as though I'll have to go digging in his back catalog.

Insides is pretty great as well

This new version of Breathe This Air is great. I love Purity Ring so it's a good match for me.

He's also remixed one of their tracks, if you're interested.

Anyway, bought tickets for his live show in Manchester (late Sept). Lovely stuff. Shame it's on a Tuesday though. Who wants to go to gigs on a Monday or Tuesday?

What I don't really understand, with this guy, is how is he getting more mainstream attention than, say, James Holden? Their albums are quite similar in places (IMO) but yet Jon Hopkins is getting radio plays and praise from actors etc (I saw Warwick Davis tweet about the album). Not that I don't think it deserves the praise, but it's pretty intense techno in parts and it doesn't seem like something that (non-electronic) people would normally like so much. He seems to have achieved that cross-over status where people who don't usually like dance music enjoy his album. For example, he's been booked by Now Wave in Manchester. Promoters who book many "underground" acts but leaning much more towards the guitar-band kind of stuff (their forays into electronic music bookings for example are The Field, Mount Kimbie, How To Dress Well etc.).

Is it purely because of his previous work and the fact that it's released on a major label?

• 3 weeks later...

Heard the new version of "Breathe" on bbc 6music this morning, it was the tune on the radio as my alarm went off and sounded great.

I guess being released on Domino helps with the exposure, but the music is also a cleaner style of techno over James Holden. Holden's album is fairly gritty and gnarly, whilst Hopkins is clean and ordered and definitely more radio friendly with the addition of the vocals.

Either way, both great.

To be honest, I would say the heavier tracks on this album are pretty gritty - crunchy mechanical beats. It's more accessible than Holden's stuff though, for sure.

I'm sure it's down to it being on a major label.

Funnily enough, Holden tweeted that he's just done a mix for BBC Radio 6.

Is it purely because of his previous work

Has to be. I also find it odd that non-electronic fans would be into this. Alot of dark tracks if you ask me. The last 2 tracks I can understand but the others are not what I would think possible coldplay/ambient/eno crossover's would enjoy.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived