IGNORED

Animal Collective - Painting With

lawrenke

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest bitroast

album kind of seems like a step backwards, or maybe it's just them going back exactly where they left of with merriweather album. the sound and song styles seem pretty identical except all the songs have the pop song straightforwardness to them and it seems to kind of lack a certain spark as a result ??? maybe not, maybe it's just that the album doesn't exactly offer anything new to the ears maybe, as opposed to being actively bad.

altho, there are reviews suggesting that it is pretty much just actively bad,

http://thequietus.com/articles/19709-the-lead-review-animal-collective-painting-with-review

" So when I tell you that Painting With is absolute dogshit from start to finish, you know that what follows isn't some stunt hatchet job on a band I don't care for. It's as if they've deliberately used their powers for evil this time. "

if nothing else, it's making me appreciate the spark in their earlier music all the more. centipede hz sounded kind of like uninspired merriweaher after thought at the time but now it's sounding pretty inspired and unique.... which is saying something about this album.

having said all that^ i'm still enjoying listening to it and digesting it... yno ?

With Animal Collective's tenth studio album out tomorrow, Lee Arizuno explores the latest and most disappointing of offerings from "Little Donkey, Hello Kitty and Crazy Frog"

lol

the reviewer destroyed them ! but now im curious for a listen

I'm gonna have to agree with the quietus review here. I'm really disappointed with this album. It sounds so much like they're just going through the motions. Weak melodies, and actually really banal lyrics. And that staccato-ish pitchy voice thing that panda bear keeps doing is really over-used and annoying. Actually the whole album is annoying fuck it.

This is coming from a long time animal collective fan too. Spirit, danse, here comes the Indian, sung tongs, strawberry jam, are all amazing albums and played a big part in the soundtrack of a very exciting period of my life. Never liked Merriweather particularly, and centipede Hz was good cos it had a tinge of darkness and madness behind the pop, although a bit too busy. Painting with is just stale though. I would like to hear something more explorative and dark perhaps in the future. A track like Mr. Fingers from ODDSAC gets me really excited, not the beach boys sunny shite.

Is anyone interested in a ticket to the Philly show tomorrow? Message me if you want it. I'm not marking it up, just asking ticket price, plus what I paid for processing.

these negative reviews are making me think I'm going to like this album, Floridada was great. that Quietus review was an awful piece of writing (though I will give him a lol on the improved nicknames).

I'm enjoying this for what it is but as an AnCo album, yeah it is pretty shit. Can't say I don't like it though.

yea I'm here too. I'm really digging it, I think.

the negative reviews are hilarious. that quietus review is so lol. dogshit.

there are some real kick ass moments on here but why did they make the same song 7 times? start with sample. first verse. boys Latin style vocals. Beatles revolver style chorus. repeat.

Guest bitroast

yeah its even more curious coming after panda bear meets grim reaper, which has alot of similar ideas. still not to say not enjoying : p

Great album, love the simplicity and happy vibes. Better than the last one I think, will need to listen a few more times. Nowhere near Strawberry Jam or Merriweather of course, but still great.

something about this band that I just can't quite see what all the fuss is about...

just sounds like a bunch of rich hipsters aping and ripping off (the obvious suspects) with a more modern sound

having said that I do like a few tracks off that Panda Bear vs Grim Reaper lp and Summertime Clothes, dunno...

AnCo's albums are so wildly different that I have to wonder what albums or tracks have you guys listened to before dismissing them completely. Like, how can you compare Sung Tongs or Feels to Strawberry Jam and MPP or to Spirits They're Gone and Danse Manatee...

AnCo's albums are so wildly different that I have to wonder what albums or tracks have you guys listened to before dismissing them completely. Like, how can you compare Sung Tongs or Feels to Strawberry Jam and MPP or to Spirits They're Gone and Danse Manatee...

that's definitely true to an extent, though I think Strawberry Jam is a culmination in a way of their earlier stuff, just presented in a slightly less mental and more coherent (and catchy way). the last three bear little resemblance to their early stuff at all though.

Man, there are so many really cool song ideas on this album, done in a way that only AC could do. I used to find their sound really irritating, but at this point I have tons of respect for their creativity and musicianship. One listen in, and I love this album. I found the production on Centipede Hz to be so complex and strange that I never really heard the songs properly. In other words, that album required a lot of attention that I never got around to giving it. This one still has a similar vibe and sound, but its more immediately comprehensible and gratifying to me.

I need to give CH a few more spins. While I was intrigued and impressed by aspects of that album off the bat, I didn't feel a great urge to go back to it... possibly because it seemed like too much effort to absorb it properly. I think I'm ready now.

Guest bitroast

time to give centipede hz more time maybe^

the production is a bit OTT and overly complex but the actual songs underneath are wickedZ

the real winner out of all their albums is Fall Be Kind.

imo

Yup, Fall Be Kind was fantastic, and possibly my favorite too. Not an album though, to be clear.

I got on the Animal Collective bandwagon with MPP. Couldn't stand their sound before that, it was just random shit to me. Loved MPP and Fall Be Kind. I thought Centipede HZ was alright but a step backwards from what they did on MPP. Didn't hate it though, it's enjoyable. I listened to Painting With yesterday for the first time, and a second time right now. I think it's pretty good, certainly a fun album. Sometimes I hate fun, but I'm enjoying this one. Not to say I'll care about it a month from now, but I'm pretty sure it has more staying power than Centipede HZ.

Archived