IGNORED

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Guest cult fiction

By the way, this might have been discussed but doesn't anyone else see the conflict in releasing the older material box set? Isn't the reason they haven't released anything pre twoism to do with the fact that they the band was comprised of other members? Now that BOC is so famous why would they want to pay out royalties to someone they no longer work with.?? Just a thought but could be part of the reason that music may not get an official release.

Listening to the stuff you find on Youtube (if it's real), the old stuff is not really worth a new release, imho. Most of the stuff sounds pretty outdated and boring. Other stuff are simply other (unrefined) versions of tracks released on MHTRTC or Twoism.

I am fine with the refined music you got on the regular releases.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No conflict to see because there are no pre-twoism releases that exist beside the old tunes tapes. The reason they haven't released such so called releases, is because they aren't real. Not sure of the exact release of BOC Maxima, though it was also an early one that I believe was after Twoism.

I wouldn't be so quick to assume the pre-Twoism releases aren't real - I thought that myself for a long time, but apparently my assumption was incorrect. Now, do they exist in the formats and quantities original mentioned on the old EHX pages? Perhaps not...

BoC Maxima was after Twoism, shopped around to labels as a demo tape of sorts. It's what started it all, you might say...

I go by the rule of thumb that if it's real it surfaces. If it doesn't surface, it's not a release. Have any of those tracks ever shown up anywhere and been confirmed as real? I always thought they weren't real. None of the it ever added up. The pictures of the artwork were all square when they were supposed to be tapes. I think the idea of these just stuck because people wanted to believe in them.

Well, I own BoC Maxima, but have you ever seen one in the wild? Of course not. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, though. Mike P owns a Maxima cassette as well. I'm sure Rob and Sean do as well.

The mundane truth behind those early releases is the few people that do have them are trusted enough and the types not to go showing them off, bragging, etc. - hence why you've never seen an auction for one, etc.

That, and BoC would probably break their legs :happy:

As for the artwork - that was just for the discography page on the EHX website... for instance, my Maxima cassette doesn't have the words "BoC Maxima" on the front image like in the picture from that old site.

By the way, this might have been discussed but doesn't anyone else see the conflict in releasing the older material box set? Isn't the reason they haven't released anything pre twoism to do with the fact that they the band was comprised of other members? Now that BOC is so famous why would they want to pay out royalties to someone they no longer work with.?? Just a thought but could be part of the reason that music may not get an official release.

Listening to the stuff you find on Youtube (if it's real), the old stuff is not really worth a new release, imho. Most of the stuff sounds pretty outdated and boring. Other stuff are simply other (unrefined) versions of tracks released on MHTRTC or Twoism.

I wouldn't judge 30 second RealAudio @32khz (that the original clips were made from) clips, myself. That being said, there are fans who love "Wouldn't You Like To Be Free" and "Duffy", and would probably want to hear them fully, and in good quality. I know I would!

Guest ZombieLincoln666

:crazy:

I go by the rule of thumb that if it's real it surfaces. If it doesn't surface, it's not a release. Have any of those tracks ever shown up anywhere and been confirmed as real? I always thought they weren't real. None of the it ever added up. The pictures of the artwork were all square when they were supposed to be tapes. I think the idea of these just stuck because people wanted to believe in them.

Well, I own BoC Maxima, but have you ever seen one in the wild? Of course not. Doesn't mean it doesn't exist, though. Mike P owns a Maxima cassette as well. I'm sure Rob and Sean do as well.

The mundane truth behind those early releases is the few people that do have them are trusted enough and the types not to go showing them off, bragging, etc. - hence why you've never seen an auction for one, etc.

What I mean by surfacing is, yeah we all have files or burns of BOC Maxima and the old tunes tapes. We've seen real pics of real cassettes of this stuff. We know it's legit. Evidence has surfaces of the existence of these things. What evidence has ever seen the light of day that Catalog 3, Play by Numbers, Hooper Bay, Closes Volume 1 or any of that stuff, ever existed beyond fudged album covers and faux track names. None. I've challenged anyone and everyone over the years to prove that wrong (and honestly I'd love to see that done), but it's never happened.

Curious about what it is that tells you any different? I'm ready to be wrong.

It's possible that those old releases just don't meet their own quality standards. A Few Old Tunes is a mix bag - a handful of diamonds amongst mostly rough. They probably never would have released that stuff and that's why it was a controversy when those made their way out. I believe that those old releases exist in the form of handmade cassettes or cdr's (probably the former) and just a few of them exist. They didn't leak for the same reason the mixtape that you made for your highschool girlfriend hasn't surfaced.

Guest Gravity

It's possible that those old releases just don't meet their own quality standards. A Few Old Tunes is a mix bag - a handful of diamonds amongst mostly rough. They probably never would have released that stuff and that's why it was a controversy when those made their way out. I believe that those old releases exist in the form of handmade cassettes or cdr's (probably the former) and just a few of them exist. They didn't leak for the same reason the mixtape that you made for your highschool girlfriend hasn't surfaced.

Great thing about the Old Tunes though is that even the bottom-tier tracks are an interesting look into their brains. To me, at least. I'd like to see a download release of it just for even more of a peek into that era... I love it. Wouldn't even have to make a huge deal out of packaging or anything.

I'm off to the showers to wash away the stain of shame.

Go ahead, I won't look.

photo-498.jpg?_r=1367309115

Um, Mr Lawyer, sir...a diamond in the rough is not in the rough like on a golf course, it refers to a diamond that has not been finely cut but could be improved (ie in the rough as in rough draft)

I agree however with your assessment.

Also, FYI, "Jury Rigging" as in "Jury Rigged" is a nautical term and unrelated to the practice of law, so rig away

a diamond in the rough is not in the rough like on a golf course, it refers to a diamond that has not been finely cut but could be improved (ie in the rough as in rough draft)

i actually haven't conceptualized this until now, but given the contexts in which i've heard it, it makes a lot of sense. thanks for clearing that up.

fuck yeah new album

In the case of something like that, I'd just call it unreleased stuff because they haven't been released. I wouldn't consider giving stuff to your friends releasing it. Either way it doesn't belong on Discogs.

Guest MastaN8

Alot of artists looked up to BOC at one point. Now their production styles would eclipse BOC any day. Look how far guys like bibio and lone have come in the last 10 years. This new LP may sound dated (and not in a sunbathed cassette type way) so after such a long time, an underwhelming LP and not hearing one peep since trans Canada highway and maybe Peter christopherson's death, I feel a little disrespected by BOC and they will have to earn my respect back.

Alot of artists looked up to BOC at one point. Now their production styles would eclipse BOC any day. Look how far guys like bibio and lone have come in the last 10 years. This new LP may sound dated (and not in a sunbathed cassette type way) so after such a long time, an underwhelming LP and not hearing one peep since trans Canada highway and maybe Peter christopherson's death, I feel a little disrespected by BOC and they will have to earn my respect back.

I'm sure they're anxious about that.

a diamond in the rough is not in the rough like on a golf course, it refers to a diamond that has not been finely cut but could be improved (ie in the rough as in rough draft)

i actually haven't conceptualized this until now, but given the contexts in which i've heard it, it makes a lot of sense. thanks for clearing that up.

I try not to be too pedantic, but the truth is that I have a huge curiosity about word and phrase origins and sometimes I can't help myself.

I'm sure they're anxious about that.

lols

Guest Starblazer

After a 7 year "fuck you" to the fans, I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Um, hopefully you are the only one..... lmfao, like they owe you? us? anything at all.

Guest MastaN8

After a 7 year "fuck you" to the fans, I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Um, hopefully you are the only one..... lmfao, like they owe you? us? anything at all.
I didn't say they owed anyone anything. Don't get me wrong, I love BOC and just hope after this album they could at least try to be a little more consistent.

I didn't say they owed anyone anything. Don't get me wrong, I love BOC and just hope after this album they could at least try to be a little more consistent.

You know they were probably really busy taking care of their family and all that (amongst other things). I can't say much, but anyone who's got a kid(s) or has raised some can testify to the fact that it consumes a lot of one's daily time/energy.

A week later, still no info on the outcome of that Cologne-listening party I talked about.

Basically I need to ask the guy who knows the guy to ask the guy... and I got nothing so far (as guy #1 doesn't care all that much about the album and hasn't talked to guy#2 about it)

You know they were probably really busy taking care of their family and all that (amongst other things). I can't say much, but anyone who's got a kid(s) or has raised some can testify to the fact that it consumes a lot of one's daily time/energy.
I can speak to that. I called work and told them I have a kid now and that I'll be back to work in 8 years. they told me to fuck off.

Archived