IGNORED

Boards of Canada - Tomorrow's Harvest

Guest cult fiction

if they had released the digital files straight after that promo campaign with physical to follow how would that have leaked? Did MBV's new album leak? did it fuck... leaks are not inevitable

lol, leak preventage.

you can't prevent a leak unless you intentionally release it early.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone thrown the idea out there about the impending food and crop crisis because of the international colony collapse syndrome affecting bee hives?

Seems relevant to the album title.

if they had released the digital files straight after that promo campaign with physical to follow how would that have leaked? Did MBV's new album leak? did it fuck... leaks are not inevitable

lol, leak preventage.

you can't prevent a leak unless you intentionally release it early.

But how is it releasing it "early" if that’s when you always planned on releasing it!? but yeah guess ultimately we are saying the same thing, but am just making the point that leaks aren’t inevitable it’s up to the artist and the label how you release it, the old model of announcement then months of wait with promos to journo’s and people in the "industry" means leaks I agree but you don’t need to follow that model.

almost all leaks happen at the manufacturing stage.

this

Kanye and JayZ's Watch The Throne is one of the few anticipated albums that was released without a leak in recent years. Read about how they did it here:

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110815/04275015526/jay-z-kanye-west-go-to-ridiculous-efforts-to-stop-album-leaking.shtml

Daft Punk seem to be doing a pretty good job so far, rumor has it that lots of shops have received their stock already and the leaks have been minimal. A few more days before they officially stream it, so it might still happen.

Serious question, do people find it that hard to resist grabbing leaks so far in advance of an official release? Probably just because I'm no doubt older than you lot, but there's something about waiting for the actual release date and the anticipation that goes with it. Downloading this a month early if that happened would just feel like a massive premature ejaculation. Then again, I suppose it depends on how you feel about owning a physical format.

I almost always wait for the physical release. The only leak I have downloaded in a LONG time is the new bibio album, although I purchased it in two formats anyways.

There's something about the anticipation and the build up and actually putting the vinyl on that makes it so much better. When I download a leak I feel like it cheapens it, like a night at the motel with the corner whore or something.

Daft Punk seem to be doing a pretty good job so far, rumor has it that lots of shops have received their stock already and the leaks have been minimal. A few more days before they officially stream it, so it might still happen.

There is no thing as a minimal leak.

Serious question, do people find it that hard to resist grabbing leaks so far in advance of an official release? Probably just because I'm no doubt older than you lot, but there's something about waiting for the actual release date and the anticipation that goes with it. Downloading this a month early if that happened would just feel like a massive premature ejaculation. Then again, I suppose it depends on how you feel about owning a physical format.

I'm 100% with you on this (although I'm probably younger than you) - Never even listened to a leak before. I won't listen to the album the day it arrives either, probably some weeks or even months later, which also means I'm gonna stay out of the discussion threads once it has leaked/been released.

There is no thing as a minimal leak.

No-one's ripped the entire album and it's supposedly going to stream on iTunes on Monday, so I think they're doing pretty well. The single leaked the day before it was released and the rest so far are three bootlegged snippets.

I'm an old fart, but I really don't see why one should wait for the official release, if it's already available in whatever way. Does the release lose its magic by listening to it beforehand? Does the music sound different? Come on. Who gives a f$ck apart from some OCD types?

As long as people enjoying the album eventually pay for it, it's all OK as far as I'm concerned.

Is this about instant gratification? Perhaps. But I really don't see what's wrong about it in this example.

Guest bitroast

I'm an old fart, but I really don't see why one should wait for the official release, if it's already available in whatever way. Does the release lose its magic by listening to it beforehand? Does the music sound different? Come on. Who gives a f$ck apart from some OCD types?

As long as people enjoying the album eventually pay for it, it's all OK as far as I'm concerned.

Is this about instant gratification? Perhaps. But I really don't see what's wrong about it in this example.

Agreement. The music is the same..

Not necessarily - I sure wouldn't want my first impression of Tomorrow's Harvest be a cellphone recording or something ...

Also the physical appearance of the album is sometimes part of the whole concept. Maybe you're supposed to look at the whole sleeve design before listening, maybe there's some additional references to the album's content that change the way you listen to it. I find a CD that comes in a cardboard digipack has a different feel than one that comes in a plastic jewelcase. This whole experience can put you in a different mindset. 26 Mixes For Cash sure sounded different whilst chewing on a poorly manufactured chocolate-imitation coin made from chinese newspaper bits! :wacko:

Yeah it IS a bit OCD, I admit ... If you're just gonna buy the downloads anyway and they're the same in quality as the leak, I'd say go for it ...

... BUT you won't hear them on June 11th like everyone else, hence you'll miss out on being part of the worldwide earthquake triggered by the sonic vibrations caused by "Gemini" ... :emotawesomepm9:

"you're supposed to look at the whole sleeve design before listening"

ocd lalalala ocd... *wistles*

listening to leaks is for the "love to be ahead of the crowd" crowd, you conservative nutcase. ;D

I pre-ordered the cd but I'm going to listen to it when it leaks just like everyone else. It's just not healthy to BoC-tease yourself at this point.

all i care about is the music, and making sure the artist gets between 5-10 pounds off me if i think its shit hot.

i am in fact quite excited for this new boc release, as a serious techno head i rattle through 15 releases a week, and the music is phenomonal, but with techno you know what your getting, apart from varying quality and beautiful grooves.

its been a while since ive actually looked forward to an album i really am not sure what its going to sound like.

(ps. i hate autechre)

Guest isaki

I would only listen to the leaks if it was the full album in high quality and not just single tracks

I'd like to see some previews this coming week.

I hope it will have been worth the eight year wait. That's a long time. Not many bands can remain silent that long and still maintain their allure.

I've always believed their years of silence between is a massive part of their appeal.

I've only just got into BOC. I've owned MHTRTC for about 5-6 years but after a few initial listens, and it not being what I expected, it got shelved . This fancy marketing campaign for the new album made me go back to it and I am very glad that I did. It's taken a while but it has slowly grown on me. I'm still very much finding new things each time I listen but I'm gradually coming to see why so many people are obsessive over their music.

So with that in mind, I am looking forward to the new album, but just as a I would any other new album, not with the fervorish, rabid excitement that everyone else has for BOC, because I haven't been waiting 8 years.

I could actually order their others albums right now and they would be new to me.

Archived