IGNORED

Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks

YO303

Guest zaphod

i really like this album, especially "everything" and "satellite". what is wrong with me, lol.

would love to know what songs he's "covering". i don't really hear any old nine inch nails in a lot of this material. it sounds "revitalized" to me. but then i'm not a big fan.

Edited by zaphod

The album is over-over-OVER-compressed! My ears are bleeding...brain squizzzzzed.

I doubt that alternate mastering will resolve this cause the over-compression happened mostly in the mixing stage IMO. But, will see...

WFT. I thought you all were joking about an OPN mix of NIN on this album. I just found out that wasn't just a joke.

this album is surprisingly good! not what i was expecting at all.

sleek, minimal, synthetic, and very funky.

without a doubt the best rhythm programming he's ever done.

the whole album is a showcase of amazing sound design, mixing, and mastering.

just based on a first listen it sounds like Adrian Belew had a strong influence on this. I'm hearing his style on a lot of the tracks.

if i was forced to compare this to Trents other work i would say it has the synthetic funkyness of Year Zero combined with the sound design and obsessive attention to detail of the Fragile.

the only misstep was using Russel Mills for the album artwork. this album really doesn't remind me of Downward Spiral at all in terms of sound, structure, or lyrics. it strong enough to stand on it's own without being compared to a previous work. plus Mills organic & decayed aesthetic, while very cool, is not a good fit for the sound of this album in my opinion.

this album is surprisingly good! not what i was expecting at all.

sleek, minimal, synthetic, and very funky.

without a doubt the best rhythm programming he's ever done.

the whole album is a showcase of amazing sound design, mixing, and mastering.

just based on a first listen it sounds like Adrian Belew had a strong influence on this. I'm hearing his style on a lot of the tracks.

if i was forced to compare this to Trents other work i would say it has the synthetic funkyness of Year Zero combined with the sound design and obsessive attention to detail of the Fragile.

the only misstep was using Russel Mills for the album artwork. this album really doesn't remind me of Downward Spiral at all in terms of sound, structure, or lyrics. it strong enough to stand on it's own without being compared to a previous work. plus Mills organic & decayed aesthetic, while very cool, is not a good fit for the sound of this album in my opinion.

^ this, definitely. I'm starting to hear more of Belew's influence the more I listen.

Giving it a listen for the first time on speakers (as opposed to my usual headphones on the way to work style), fairly loud. Sounds fucking massive!

Edited by modey

Guest Gravity

Some extra stuff:

42 minute long talk about the album from Trenty Trent -

Demos/cut stuff from the album from that talk:

Some extra stuff:

nice

if came back haunted and everything were dropped from this, it would be close to perfect IMO

I was kind of indifferent to Came Back Haunted when I first heard it, but I think it works better in the context of the album... definitely liking this album more with every listen, feels good to have my faith in Reznor restored after all this time.

Edited by ghOsty

Some extra stuff:

Thanks for posting, listened to the whole tape. Love the 'swarm of hummingbirds' in the background. TR has a rather addictive voice, I find it mesmerizing (not sure if this is me being a bit homo lol)

On a funny note I still havent listened to the album. Will do soon.

i find it mesmerizing how humorless he sounds when speaking, he has such an overly serious tone of his voice it's weirding me out. I think the guy could use a little bit of recreational drug use, he doesn't seem any happier after obtaining his double D hot gf

Edited by John Ehrlichman

i find it mesmerizing how humorless he sounds when speaking, he has such an overly serious tone of his voice it's weirding me out. I think the guy could use a little bit of recreational drug use, he doesn't seem any happier after obtaining his double D hot gf

yeah...could be that now he knows for sure they're silicone implants

I'm gonna go grab this on vinyl at some point the week. Enough of the tracks caught my ear and grew on me. At first I was appalled at the few singles that leaked both by legit release or live but the album in a whole has enough solid tracks to warrant a purchase. I also feel bad for pirating every NIN album since The Fragile, tho I do own almost every single Halo up until that point.