IGNORED

Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks

YO303

The Tension tour was visually cool, very nostalgic sound now.

Still think it was an awful decision to have female backup vocals for the show though.

Still waiting for Reznor to do DJ shit with his Year Zero sound palette.

I think the gospel singers were the most fresh addition to his sound in a long time, and was hoping he'd incorporate that into the new album. Alas, no.

I don't remember any gospel singers from when I saw NIN in March last year; that said they could have been there but I was just too excited to be in a NIN moshpit to notice. I wonder what happened with Belew—I was really hoping to see his smiley face onstage with them!

Guest bitroast

generally dislike gospel backup singers. always seemed like an easy way to widen vocal sound in exchange for singer to get jiggy with it and let out farty half vocals. but it works with NIN^ so it's not an always hate hate situation :)

feels like im spying on nine inch nails thru closed shades in apartment building. NSA and surveillance and spying is bad, yeah?

What-Are-You-Looking-At-Security-Camera-

Edited by bitroast

yeah, I've seen them 3 times (BDO 2000, Festival Hall '09 and last year at Rod Laver) and they were all awesome shows. '09 show was probably best though since it was just a super raw rock show with no fancy lighting/visuals rig, just the band completely killing it. It would have been nice to see the full visual Year Zero show though!

don't remember any gospel singers from when I saw NIN in March last year; that said they could have been there but I was just too excited to be in a NIN moshpit to notice.

I didn't mind them. They actually added a lot to the more ambient Fragile tracks and did some great work on All the Love In the World, a track I didn't really like all that much.

but for some tracks, they just kind of sucked the big one

I'm not sure of what I think about the band canning them before the 2014 tour

Edited by Rubin Farr

• 11 months later...

I love how Trent in that modular synth documentary (I dream of wires I think?) goes on and on about how digital synths ruined all innovation in electronic music and how FM synthesis eats babies, totally forgetting that his own music's production in recent years has been incredibly boring and bland because of Pro Tools perfection. There's nothing truly analog sounding in his entire discography, let alone his recent work. Atticus' beat work is really good, though.

EDIT: Forgot about that samey Moog bassline he adds into every movie soundtrack.

Edited by clarktrent

I love how Trent in that modular synth documentary (I dream of wires I think?) goes on and on about how digital synths ruined all innovation in electronic music and how FM synthesis eats babies, totally forgetting that his own music's production in recent years has been incredibly boring and bland because of Pro Tools perfection. 

Totally agree that his work after The Fragile sounds like shit due to Pro Tools over engineering sound, but gotta disagree with you here:

There's nothing truly analog sounding in his entire discography

ARP 2600 at the end of The Becoming (3:25 mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCxz-d7jQwU

I love how Trent in that modular synth documentary (I dream of wires I think?) goes on and on about how digital synths ruined all innovation in electronic music and how FM synthesis eats babies, totally forgetting that his own music's production in recent years has been incredibly boring and bland because of Pro Tools perfection. There's nothing truly analog sounding in his entire discography, let alone his recent work. Atticus' beat work is really good, though.

EDIT: Forgot about that samey Moog bassline he adds into every movie soundtrack.

Before With Teeth came out, when it was originally going to be called BLEEDTHROUGH (sic) Trent posted online about how he wanted the album to be "fifteen hard punches in the face", referring to the 15 tracks. He wanted to "avoid that Pro Tooled sound of perfection".

So then With Teeth came out with that Pro Tooled sound of perfection.

And it was rubbish.

Let's be fair, aside from his soundtrack work Trent hasn't put out anything of much cop since The Fragile.

Before With Teeth came out, when it was originally going to be called BLEEDTHROUGH (sic) Trent posted online about how he wanted the album to be "fifteen hard punches in the face", referring to the 15 tracks. He wanted to "avoid that Pro Tooled sound of perfection".

And it was rubbish.

Let's be fair, aside from his soundtrack work Trent hasn't put out anything of much cop since The Fragile.

I'd say since The Downward Spiral, tbh

• Like 1

And it was rubbish.

this reflects my position as well.

And it was rubbish.

I'd say since The Downward Spiral, tbh

The Fragile was a slight dip, but anything would be after the Downward Spiral. Still has some tracks I love though, even if you can tell his inspiration (drugs) was running out.

• 4 years later...

Holy necroing but got around to this album properly and oh boy did Trento make it sound funky. and the obvious production wizardry. Being mostly ambivalent of his later stuff this was a nice surprise how much I like it. some beats wouldnt sound off in a villalobos type set.

• Like 2

Crazy how old this album is already.  To me it's recent memory... ugh.  I think I've only listened maybe 4 times?  I recall getting bugged by hearing similar chord changes/rhythms/melodies etc. from his past work each time I listened.  But I did enjoy the most recent EPs.  Hope he can pry himself away from the score work long enough to produce another LP that continues down that more experimental route, and that he continues to explore that cool Bowie vibrato that came out of nowhere on God Break Down the Door. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 7:14 AM, Zephyr_Nova said:

But I did enjoy the most recent EPs.

Yeah —  Bad Witch, and the collaboration with HEALTH for Isn't Everyone are some of the best NIN material I've heard in ages.

I might try to revisit this album soon, but I dunno if my opinion will change much. I could be wrong, but yeah it wasn't for me when it came out.

On 5/19/2021 at 9:14 AM, Zephyr_Nova said:

Crazy how old this album is already.  To me it's recent memory... ugh.  I think I've only listened maybe 4 times?  I recall getting bugged by hearing similar chord changes/rhythms/melodies etc. from his past work each time I listened.  But I did enjoy the most recent EPs.  Hope he can pry himself away from the score work long enough to produce another LP that continues down that more experimental route, and that he continues to explore that cool Bowie vibrato that came out of nowhere on God Break Down the Door. 

Been watching Ixi's in-depth analysis of NIN tracks, mostly TDS stuff lately, and it's clear Trent has his tendencies when it comes to chord progressions and modes. It's been bugging me why it's so easy to hear if Reznor has been involved in a track and it's apparently his use of tritones and use of the mixolydian mode.

• Like 3