IGNORED

Nine Inch Nails - Hesitation Marks

YO303

I know I was harsh on Hesitation Marks early on, but something funny happened last night - I was on my way to get some food, and Satellite came on in my random playlist, and I really liked it - including the lyrics! I'm going to revisit this album, because I don't think I gave it a fair shake the first time around.

I know I was harsh on Hesitation Marks early on, but something funny happened last night - I was on my way to get some food, and Satellite came on in my random playlist, and I really liked it - including the lyrics! I'm going to revisit this album, because I don't think I gave it a fair shake the first time around.

Yeah, I was surprised you hated it so much. I thought it'd definitely be relevant to your interests, especially as a DM fan; it's the most synthpoppy thing he's done since PHM, imo.

the backing vocalists are a great addition. i had my doubts when i first heard he was doing that but it sounded great.

+100 points for playing the john carpenter 'halloween 3' soundtrack at the end.

Yeah, I was surprised you hated it so much. I thought it'd definitely be relevant to your interests, especially as a DM fan; it's the most synthpoppy thing he's done since PHM, imo.

Well, for what it's worth, I hated 90% of the new DM album - was really hoping for what they described as a "Violator mixed with Songs of Faith and Devotion". "Heaven" is about as close as that comes, and as far as DM songs go, not the best.

Came Back Haunted is another favourite of mine now - I guess I hated it initially since in my head NIN always equated to The Downward Sprial - angsty, brutal stuff. These songs are fun, and almost uplifting is some ways (it does still veer into "bro-rock" at times, but nothing wrong with that in small does). I guess I didn't give Trent enough credit for being so versatile and able to reinvent himself.

I really loved this album on the first few listens, Came Back Haunted is without a doubt one of my top five NIN tracks ever. The magic of Copy Of A has worn off at this point but still an amazing track, also one of my fave NIN songs. Satellite is like NIN meets Michael Jackson early 90s era, which is f*cking awesome. Running was my favourite for a while, seems to be a bit of Burial influence on that.

The rest of the album has got a little stale, i've never liked Everything, why oh why... It's a listenable song but putting it next to these other songs? Eurgh..

Find My Way is a total ripoff of Teardrop by Massive Attack, there's no way Trent wasn't aware of that before mixing it.

Final verdict: 9/10 and album of the year for me.

flol

Well, for what it's worth, I hated 90% of the new DM album - was really hoping for what they described as a "Violator mixed with Songs of Faith and Devotion". "Heaven" is about as close as that comes, and as far as DM songs go, not the best.

Came Back Haunted is another favourite of mine now - I guess I hated it initially since in my head NIN always equated to The Downward Sprial - angsty, brutal stuff. These songs are fun, and almost uplifting is some ways (it does still veer into "bro-rock" at times, but nothing wrong with that in small does). I guess I didn't give Trent enough credit for being so versatile and able to reinvent himself.

With all due respect, I think you (and a lot of other people I know) need to stop hoping that a band will go back to their old sound. I guess it doesn't help that DM described the album like that, but I quite liked it. Give it 20 years and it might be a classic just like the others that you've been listening to for 20 years :emotawesomepm9:

With all due respect, I think you (and a lot of other people I know) need to stop hoping that a band will go back to their old sound. I guess it doesn't help that DM described the album like that, but I quite liked it. Give it 20 years and it might be a classic just like the others that you've been listening to for 20 years :emotawesomepm9:

No, I didn't want DM to go back to their old sound - I just hoped the album would have overall great DM songs like their previous 12 studio albums, and unfortunately this ranks up with Exciter and Sounds of the Universe having the fewest DM songs that I like. I don't think it's a bad album, but just doesn't have as many songs that I like on it compared to say Playing the Angel or Ultra.

• 1 month later...

lol? i like nin but i feel pretty silly now, i always thought since coming back from the fragile break his music has become like a very simple math equation over and over again, i dont mind i guess but im kindaboredofit

Edited by Deer

and as good as the Fragile was there are many many songs off it that sound like total redux tracks off Downward Spiral, he practically uses the Reptile melody on like 3 different songs, it's weird. A 'Perfect Drug' felt like his last pop hit to me that wasn't a total ripoff of some of his earlier music. Ghosts is almost an anomaly and it surprises me that when it comes to his vocal music he can't restrain himself and actually make it sound new or fresh, he keeps resorting to the same compositional paint by numbers NIN guidebook. Hell even How to Destroy angels sounded this way but that was even harder to handle because of the generic fem-pop vocal cadences and stuff. I would say he's losing it big time if it weren't for his great soundtrack work and Ghosts

Edited by John Ehrlichman

lol? i like nin but i feel pretty silly now, i always thought since coming back from the fragile break his music has become like a very simple math equation over and over again, i dont mind i guess but im kindaboredofit

That's fucking great!

i heard this track from peter gabriel a few weeks ago, damn i think the production sounds a lot like NIN but it's before downward spiral or the fragile

tront pls explain

I love this track, brilliant pop tune

ha-ha well funny!!

• 1 year later...

Every since The Fragile, I've been a major sucker for anything with Trent's name slapped onto it, I even enjoyed HTDA quite a bit and still do. Hell, I've been an active member on echoingthesound until earlier this year. In fact, I actually learned about Aphex through FDS with At the Heart of It All, I just never bothered to look him up until late last year and ever since then Richard and other artists like AFX have been the centerpiece of my music listening, but I still do enjoy his music a lot, including HM.

Even with rose tinted glasses semi-off, I don't really get the dislike for this album. It did take a while to get into but once I heard it on a good sound system... fuck. It is so tight and punchy throughout and while I've grown to dislike certain tracks (All Time Low, Everything) it's a great ride.

Guest bitroast

Been listening to this again recently as well. Fantasic album imo.

I dont understand the hardcore album cover and album name, other than lame tactic to draw in old fans ?? This is such a butt wriggler party album (imo!! i sort of have no idea if theres some depth to the lyrics that make the album 'theme' make more sense).

Maybs people dont like it cos they were expecting more emo trent singing about suicide (hesitation marks), or didnt listen cos they couldnt be bothered listening to trent emo singing about suicide.

But yeah. Agreed. Great album (except for that 1, take off your shirt track!!) have to skip it.

Edited by bitroast

I actually learned about Aphex through FDS with At the Heart of It All

same :beer:

Richard and other artists like AFX

uh oh

once I heard it on a good sound system... fuck. It is so tight and punchy throughout

Agreed. It's an incredibly well produced album. That said though, pretty much every NIN release is perfect in terms of sound design. If I ever had enough money/popularity to pay a big name to produce/engineer a release of mine I'd probably pick Reznor because everything he touches just sounds so amazing.

Guest bitroast

Sorry xxx theres no songs about taking shirts off (that im aware of).

Was just a dumb roundabout way of referring to the standout rock song Everything.

I thought Everything was a refreshing change of direction for NIN. Especially the wicked harmonies in the second verse. Also, the abrasive chorus really works in contrast to the 'happy' verses, imo.

The Tension tour was visually cool, very nostalgic sound now.

Still think it was an awful decision to have female backup vocals for the show though.

Still waiting for Reznor to do DJ shit with his Year Zero sound palette.