IGNORED

Star Wars Episode VII *MAJOR SPOILERS*

Rubin Farr

By the way, if anyone wants to be mostly spoiled, there is a pasteboard PDF going about that basically summaries the entire movie and seems pretty legit...

Saw something similar earlier. Pretty bummed by some of it to be quite honest. Things were rumored for awhile, but appear to be accurate.

Snoke character design sounds really shite also.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This movie seems like fake diversity personified.

Could you expound on this? As far as I know these aren't characters we've seen before. So, no one can claim the characters original ethnicities or genders have been changed. This question is for Joyrex, too. Sorry, I can't quote twice for some reason.

I can't answer for Rubin, but if it is true they changed Phasma's gender just to satisfy the people complaining Star Wars doesn't have enough diversity, then I think they made a mistake. Ironically, I don't think we even find out Phasma is female in the movie (unless she sounds female), so it smacks even more of pandering to be politically correct.

Personally, I couldn't care less - as others have said, as long as the actor (gender-neutral preferred term) is go at what they are hired to do, it does not matter if they are male or female - IF the character they are playing is supposed to be a particular gender.

For instance, despite Steven Moffat's best efforts, I really don't think we'll see a female Doctor Who. The character has always been male, and regardless of Moffat's attempts to change canon by making it so Time Lords can change gender, I don't think the main character should.

I don't think anyone knows for sure that they've changed anything to appease any crowd or group. So without proof it just sounds like you're annoyed because the character is now female or black or whatever. With a character that hasn't existed til this film!

Is it the idea of an artist changing something to appeal to a larger audience? Because if so Star Wars might not be for you. We do know that Lucas cast Billy Dee because of complaints. I'm actually glad he did. I think the movie was better for it.

Guest bitroast

watched Empire and ROTJ monday and tuesday.

Empire is still a classic. Hopes up on equal levels with original Star Wars despite being more fleshed out and cinematic. ROTJ drops the ball a bit and almost got me snoozing but not bad enough to warrant skipping in pre-ep7 pre-prep. bring on ... sunday (didn't get opening night tickets) : )

Could you expound on this? As far as I know these aren't characters we've seen before. So, no one can claim the characters original ethnicities or genders have been changed. This question is for Joyrex, too. Sorry, I can't quote twice for some reason.

I can't answer for Rubin, but if it is true they changed Phasma's gender just to satisfy the people complaining Star Wars doesn't have enough diversity, then I think they made a mistake. Ironically, I don't think we even find out Phasma is female in the movie (unless she sounds female), so it smacks even more of pandering to be politically correct.

Personally, I couldn't care less - as others have said, as long as the actor (gender-neutral preferred term) is go at what they are hired to do, it does not matter if they are male or female - IF the character they are playing is supposed to be a particular gender.

For instance, despite Steven Moffat's best efforts, I really don't think we'll see a female Doctor Who. The character has always been male, and regardless of Moffat's attempts to change canon by making it so Time Lords can change gender, I don't think the main character should.

I don't think anyone knows for sure that they've changed anything to appease any crowd or group. So without proof it just sounds like you're annoyed because the character is now female or black or whatever. With a character that hasn't existed til this film!

Is it the idea of an artist changing something to appeal to a larger audience? Because if so Star Wars might not be for you. We do know that Lucas cast Billy Dee because of complaints. I'm actually glad he did. I think the movie was better for it.

We don't know if it was pandering, but Phasma was designed as a male character, and after they were done, JJ quotes himself as something like "Wouldn't it be cool to make him female?" Take that with a grain of salt, Disney focus tests their demographics to death, to target every segment of Western society, so maybe they thought she would appeal to LGBT segments? That's a wild guess but they have progressive and regressive elements inside that company. Look how they've white washed Walt's life to death and made it squeaky clean.

a screenplay isn't finished 'til they wrap production, so it doesn't really matter what the character did and didn't start life as. might also be a good idea to wait until the movie is actually out before everyone starts criticising it.

We don't know if it was pandering, but Phasma was designed as a male character, and after they were done, JJ quotes himself as something like "Wouldn't it be cool to make him female?" Take that with a grain of salt, Disney focus tests their demographics to death, to target every segment of Western society, so maybe they thought she would appeal to LGBT segments? That's a wild guess but they have progressive and regressive elements inside that company. Look how they've white washed Walt's life to death and made it squeaky clean.

you know this and you still buy every single toy?

like donating money to hitler!

I just don't like the fact they made Captain Phasma a woman just because people were complaining there were no major female characters in the movie - except, you know, Rey and Leia, which is typically 1 more than all the other Star Wars movies had.

what difference does it make whether she's a woman or not? it's a silly space nonsense movie filled with silly nonsensical aliens, why would having a female imperial soldier be in any way odd?

That's just it - it doesn't - I feel like they were pandering to the folks complaining, and instead should have left things as they were.

This is the first time I've even seen her interviewed so far

I just don't like the fact they made Captain Phasma a woman just because people were complaining there were no major female characters in the movie - except, you know, Rey and Leia, which is typically 1 more than all the other Star Wars movies had.

even if they did, which i think is true, who cares? it takes me maybe 1 second to consider having a high ranking evil female character in star wars and think "yeah seems legit"

you sound fucking sexist lol

If the character was envisioned as female to begin with, that's fine - but don't go changing character gender just to satisfy some imaginary requirement that there is an equitable balance of va-jay-jays versus pee-peens.

jesus fucking christ leave it to middle-aged white men to fucking COMPLAIN about diversity lol wtf i literally cannot wrap my mind around this

you know this and you still buy every single toy?

like donating money to hitler!

Are you talkin to me? Because I only have one piece of merchandise for this movie, and I bought it at Disney World months ago for charity.

2E3DFD5C-5516-4DA3-B1CA-448C1EB9FD2E_zps

I remember after the first photo of the cast reading together caused a slight stir because of 'omg mostly white guys ugh' reactions online. And soon after they announced a few other cast members who were non-white/female and it seemed to be a bit of crowd control to appease uber-PC folks. But some of that is assumption and hearsay.

sent using magic space waves

The photo in question: http://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-episode-vii-cast-announced

Boyega was there from the start. JJ Abrams was already a fan based on Attack the Block.

its true that cast photo does only have two female castmembers in it, and yeah I think there was lots of comment about that at the time. So maybe the Phasma thing came after that?

But then so what.

As Boyega says:

"You either enjoy it or you don’t," Boyega, who plays a young Jedi in the seventh installment of the franchise, told V Magazine in a new interview. "I’m not saying get used to the future, but what is already happening. People of color and women are increasingly being shown on-screen. For things to be whitewashed just doesn’t make sense."

This makes no sense:

So you don't care as long as the actor is good, but anyone playing someone in full body armour must be male because thats how its always been?

And if the gender of the character is not even clear in the movie (because you dont see their face) than its even worse if there's a female in the role?

You're essentially saying every character must be male unless there's a specific reason for them not to be.

Yeah, silly argument. I think there are plenty roles which are gender interchangable. It could be even more interesting if this change of gender would happen more often. All these stereotypical bad guys are mostly refurbed other bad guys. Give the role to a woman, and you've got yourself an entirely new set of fresh associations and options. Makes the story potentially that much more interesting.

This makes no sense:

So you don't care as long as the actor is good, but anyone playing someone in full body armour must be male because thats how its always been?

And if the gender of the character is not even clear in the movie (because you dont see their face) than its even worse if there's a female in the role?

You're essentially saying every character must be male unless there's a specific reason for them not to be.

No... not saying that at all - what I guess I didn't effectively communicate was the fact the character externally has no defining features that would identify as female, changing the character's gender is a bit pointless - why make Phasma female if you never know she is?

Long story short: if Phasma was female from the get-go, fine - because they change a character's gender just to pander to the critics, but as far as the character is concerned it doesn't matter (again, unless the character has a female voice, which I think we have yet to hear), then what's the point?

Movie was really good. Fuck the cold-peeing haters.

Do not read spoiler if have not seen!

Was Han's death earned or was it shite?

Movie was really good. Fuck the cold-peeing haters.

Do not read spoiler if have not seen!

Was Han's death earned or was it shite?

Yeah I don't really know about that yet. Execution did feel a bit gratuitous but I guess it works well as a symbol.

Anyway this movie is so many leagues ahead the prequels George Lucas should be ashamed.

Snoke does feel kind of rubbish though

very disappointed in the character design. Just looks like shit in every iteration. Don't get how during an early critique nobody said, "hey...JJ...that dude looks like complete shit & laughably retarded"..."handicapped".

Archived