IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

why did warp put aphex (blinking logo) on the front page yesterday (briefly) and then take it down?

http://warp.net/records/aphex-twin

is still there for me

guess he means the warp front page, not the AFX page. I didn't notice it on the frontpage, but pretty sure the Aphex header didn't use to flash like that

I never saw the frontpage change...

no it never used to flash slowly like that afaik

That's incorrect. It's been flashing like that ever since the switch to warp.net (from warprecords.com).

I know this because I remember that logo animation from when he had the remote orchestra thing going on.

I noticed yesterday the lower 'fold' in the image looks like it's had digital noise added to it while the top bit hasn't. Could be some hidden info in there

If you fold a photo and then scan it (without pressing it hard against the glass plate), one part of the photo will be flush with the scanner and therefore sharper. And the other part will be a little distance away from the glass plate due to the folding, and therefore dimmer. I think that's what we're seeing here.

Quick verification of theory:

foldface2.jpg

thank you for doing this

Guest setanor

foldface-w.jpg is clearly an image that is meant to be prodded at

especially given the fact that it is gives a different result than foldface.jpg in stegdetect

Note the fake barcode

THAT BARCODE WILL BE CHANGED.

dude said that in the form of a hint

Guest skibby

The gif Aphex logo on Warp has been there for a while. Just saying.

the logo was always there but I don't think it was on a slow blink/flash?

jkgoxLX.jpg

Do you guys think there will be a leak before the official release? I'm not talking about fakes, but a "legit "leak? I don't recall seeing leaks of neither Æ nor BoC last records for example.

Do you guys think there will be a leak before the official release? I'm not talking about fakes, but a "legit "leak? I don't recall seeing leaks of neither Æ nor BoC last records for example.

after 13 years of Aphex Twin silence... I doubt it.

edit:

so will anything ever top Xtal

Edited by MIXL2

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

I noticed yesterday the lower 'fold' in the image looks like it's had digital noise added to it while the top bit hasn't. Could be some hidden info in there

If you fold a photo and then scan it (without pressing it hard against the glass plate), one part of the photo will be flush with the scanner and therefore sharper. And the other part will be a little distance away from the glass plate due to the folding, and therefore dimmer. I think that's what we're seeing here.

Quick verification of theory:

foldface2.jpg

If that's the case then it would only make the image in question an even better candidate for hiding info in wouldn't it?

...some images are much better than others when used a host file - plenty of fine detail is good. A cloudless blue sky over a snow covered ski paradise is bad. A waterfall in a forest is probably ideal.

don't you think you're going too far guys ?

bar code and crypted image ?

i mean the tease game has no limit but it has to be relevant.

i think the clue are more in logic and on what we have then on numbers and codes that are easy to find anywhere if you really want to

Edited by klore

i mean bar code and crypted image ?

i think the clue are more in logic and on what we have then on numbers and codes that are easy to find anywhere if you really want to

that's watmm klore

i like the underground promotion afx is doing for this album, some stickers, grafiti, a small blimp then the tor code

let's not go bocbocboc on this

Guest setanor

yeah no way a silly dude notorious for encoding his bigass grin into music would hide any data in an image as part of a teaser campaign

Guest Atom Dowry Firth

Detection is negative for foldface.jpg using stegdetect

Tried fake barcode as passphrase on foldface-w.jpg. Nothin'

so if foldface-w detects positive but foldface.jpg detects negative... hmm...

Wait there are two different images? Where did foldface.jpg come from? Was that from the .onion page or something? If there are differences between the two images there could be a message in there:

In a photograph, minor variations in color would often be unnoticable to the naked eye, or even if noticed, might easily be mistaken for flaws in the quality of the picture.

So to take a simple example, suppose you had a gray-scale GIF image where the pallette is arranged in order from white to black with a smooth range of grays in between. I'm not sure how much you know about graphic file formats, but in GIF you have one byte per pixel, with each possible byte value mapping to some specific color. So in this case we could say pallette #0=RGB(0,0,0), pallette #1=RGB(1,1,1), ... palette #255=RGB(255,255,255).

Then you take an ordinary, real photograph. Break your secret message into individual bits. Set the last bit of each pallette index number to successive bits of your message.

For example, suppose the first eight pixels of the original photo are, say, 01 00 C9 FF FF C8 42 43. Your message begins with the letter "C", ascii code 0110 0111. So you change the last bit of the first byte to 0, changing the byte from 01 to 00. You change the last bit of the second byte to 1, changing the byte from 00 to 01. You change the last bit of the third byte to 1. It's already 1, so that makes no difference. Etc. You end up with the coded 8 bytes being 00 01 C9 FE FF C9 43 43.

The changes to the colors would be so subtle that it's unlikely that anyone looking at the picture would notice. Even if they did notice, unless they had a reason to be suspicious, they would likely just conclude that the picture was of less-than-perfect quality.

Of course nothing says you have to use 1 bit per byte for the secret message. Depending on how much degradation in quality you think you can get away with, you could use 2 bits per byte, or just change 1 bit in every other byte, etc.

Of course the same technique can be used with color photos: change the last bit in each of the RGB components to encode 3 bits per pixel, etc.

Not really. Hiding info in a picture of his face is definitely something he would do