IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

jodey has released stuff on we-me and his own edm label. dave also released something on we-me? he also said something about digitals arriving soon? guess we'll have to wait to see, i imagine all the press aphex is about to get might rub off on his rephlex mates. someone like wisp i could imagine signing to warp/xl/ghostlyl.

Guest Abstract Daddy

aye that is a real shame, end of era, but at least there are these sublabels going on, hmmm, wonder who wisp will release with...

And Jodey and Dave? Does anyone know where I can keep an eye on these three?

Jodey: follow him on facebook, he releases on WeMe, Signals, has his own "sublabel" called EDM ( https://edmsoundwave.bandcamp.com/ ) with more upcoming, etc.

Dave: yeah, good one. No idea. He just released a remix through Love Love records. Also check out his facebook page.

Wisp: where are you man :)

Bless you sir.

How about these 'defunct' idmz labels, merck, sublight, now rephlex apparently, open up bandcamp pages? I don't know the financial particularities of them going bust (debt, creditors), but the brands are still strong.

How about these 'defunct' idmz labels, merck, sublight, now rephlex apparently, open up bandcamp pages? I don't know the financial particularities of them going bust (debt, creditors), but the brands are still strong.

"Me and him, we're from different ancient tribes. Now we're both almost extinct. Sometimes you gotta stick with the ancient ways, the old school ways. I know you understand me."

Can't wait to see the rest of it. Dig the Tuss confirmation... and it sounds like he's (re?)warming up to the big label doing the work for him. I've heard from several producers that releasing everything on your own label is a huge pain in the ass.

Trust me, it is - after doing the Kickstarter and my own digipak thing, I have experienced a bit of Grant's pain - a lot of people forget that Rephlex really is just Grant behind it all - it really is awesome he practically ran the label by himself for over 20 years...

No mention of bandcamp in this part of the interview. And he mentions his deal with warp: 50% of the net profit goes to him.

That's been standard WARP payouts for a long time now.

That just solves part of the digital distribution/storefront issues - you still deal with royalty payouts, license fees, publisher fees, etc. - and that's the bulk of the work. On top of that, physical distribution - you either pay a company to do fulfillment for you and reduce your already meager profit margins, or you suck it up and do it yourself, spending countless hours packaging, posting, etc.

And then deal with lost parcels, damage, refunds... blergh!

Guest jasondonervan

"Me and him, we're from different ancient tribes. Now we're both almost extinct. Sometimes you gotta stick with the ancient ways, the old school ways. I know you understand me."

Robert-de-Niro-Al-Pacino.jpg

I kind of feel that people are jumping to conclusions about Rephlex being no more:

1) Google translated a dutch word to "defunct". Well many parts of that translation are just gibberish, so I feel it's very possible that the word used was something more like "stasis", "hibernation", or maybe "broken", "confused", "errant" or something like that.

2) Richard doesn't really confirm or deny anything in his answer. He could very well have said something about their future plans, the text is "some outtakes
from our interview".

Although I agree that things have been awfully quiet...

I kind of feel that people are jumping to conclusions about Rephlex being no more:

1) Google translated a dutch word to "defunct". Well many parts of that translation are just gibberish, so I feel it's very possible that the word used was something more like "stasis", "hibernation", or maybe "broken", "confused", "errant" or something like that.

2) Richard doesn't really confirm or deny anything in his answer. He could very well have said something about their future plans, the text is "some outtakes

from our interview".

1) Defunct in Dutch means defunct in English. Exactly the same.

2) Richard goes along with the question in his sentence saying that the expensive Analord binders played a part in the now defunct Rephlex label. Translated exactly he said:

"Is that (the expensive binder) the reason for Rephlex now being defunct?"

It didn't help in any case, no, but there was more going on as well.

from our interview".

1) Defunct in Dutch means defunct in English. Exactly the same.

2) Richard goes along with the question in his sentence saying that the expensive Analord binders played a part in the now defunct Rephlex label. Translated exactly he said:

"Is that (the expensive binder) the reason for Rephlex now being defunct?"

It didn't help in any case, no, but there was more going on as well.

Aww shit :sad:

:braindance: :braindance: :braindance:

Also if there is ever a release of a "Making of Windowlicker"-video I would be so glad, that music video is a masterpiece.

I'd rather see the "Making of Windowlicker-track".

morning all:)

very new here; I lurked during the boctransmissions, good to share the excitement about the imminent shit. so how many of the live tracks are established as being n the record? I know the usual suspects: m,mz,St. is there a fourth?

I try to update the original post with useful information for as long as it feels relevant to do so. There is no track or performance apart from manchester, metz or singapore that's virtually confirmed, let alone suggested, although some members have baselessly suggested that the Barbican (suspended piano) performance might be aisatsana (track 12).

There are two recent interview snippets by fader mag and pitchfork if you check back with the OP.

Current news is that we have discovered the typeface on the album cover to be Norm Simple Regular.

Nah, the font is definitely Decima Mono. Look at Norm Simple's W, it's too wide, The serifs on the I are too narrow. The 'g' is totally different from the one seen in the album artwork. Compare the lowercase fonts..!

Here's Decima Mono Light

2iup05x.png

And regular, which is probably used for the vignette

2n7qzic.png

I'm a typography nerd

I'm not convinced, is there a high res version of the original artwork to go from?

Also if there is ever a release of a "Making of Windowlicker"-video I would be so glad, that music video is a masterpiece.

There are pictures floating about of Richard on set in Los Angeles where they filmed it playing chess...

There are pictures floating about of Richard on set in Los Angeles where they filmed it playing chess...

Can't remember that one! I did found these though:

windowtwin.jpg

windowtwin2.jpg

I'd rather see the "Making of Windowlicker-track".

It would like to see him sing it live.

"Oooh-oooh... Oooh-uuuh-wo-ooooh..."

Guest Tristan

Perhaps Rephlex stopped being a recordlabel and morphed into something else. Eitherway, much respect. One of the dopest labels ever