IGNORED

APHEX TWIN - SYRO

chim

haven't even listened to my vinyl copy yet. here goes

edit: sounds fantastic, im not sure if there is actually less compression or that its just less noticeable than on the digital or CD but yeah It does sound nicer.

well.. its mastered differently (cd track is mastered by Beau Thomas, 2-12 mastered by Mandy Parnell. vinyl mastered 1-12 by Beau Thomas).

so format arguments aside, you technically are listening to something totally different to the CD :)

where did you find out that information?

Firstly, this thread is humungous... so much love for this album (who says love doesn't involve gnashing of teeth)

I've spun the first half of the album on mp3 320 about ten times and am massively into the Sy. Before it was released I was champing at the bit and thrashing SAWI, Analord and others. Syro on the whole is a more complex beast than Analord (other than something like xmd5a which is a comparable ripper)

Glorious return of the AT moniker and apart from waiting for My Bloody Valentine's follow up to Loveless last year, this has been the most EPIC wait, and like mbv, has delivered in spades!

Syro second half is more difficult to get my head around, more impenetrable synth lines to untangle and restless drum lines to awkwardly brain dance to. I think I have two left brains.

I understand how people might think they're disappointed with Syro to begin with - it is indeed a grower, people; once our brains attune to the tunes, you can enjoy the sounds more... And there is a non conventional gas fraccing abundance of tune.

What I think makes this album hard to get, and this is alluded to in the p4k interview, is that a lot of the record doesn't follow conventional tunings. So it's possible our brains are not wired yet to know what response to make. Anyone remember the first time they heard a 20 minute Indian raga or a long Philip Glass piece? Serious WTF moments :blink:

This is probably the main reason I think it's an important record, along with the envelope and texture detail in every (mostly) analog sound. How can it be that the vocoders sound so awesome, but that even in Minipops67 which we've all heard loads by now, it's so hard to work out what's being said? (I know, there's a thread for this)

One of my fave moments which I reckon is a typically playful tip of the hat to Warp, happens at 7:30(!) of XMAS_EVET10 where a very BoC sounding synth comes in - ah, the serenity - which lasts a few seconds before a "bonk" disrupts beautifully and the acid synth bounces on.

Also love the delay sound which creeps in and beautifully grounds the track from this point on.

Listened to the full album on 24bit last night on some KRK monitors with a friend and the requisite imbibements and MAN I can recommend this particular experience... Sounded so punchy but warm, no mastering problems to my ears.. But it was a lot easier to have the first half up loud, whereas the second half overwhelmed and we had to lower the volume! Rinse, repeat, I know

180db was particularly bangin', this track may be out of kilter with some of the album, but it's a collection of tracks from a wide period, an AT catchup, so it was never going to be as disciplined as Drukqs. IMHO it is better than Classics!

Bounty is within. If you don't like it, sell your rotten ovaries.

Good find, but I signed up to order MARCHROMT30A and it wouldn't let me add the track to my cart because of my location.

I just ordered MARCHROMT30A from ototoy.jp with my CC and had no trouble at all. You have to create an account, do a bit of google translating etc but it's not a biiig deal. It's also the 24-bit WAV version.

Guest BasDirks

As time went, we have discovered almost everything about sound synthesis, heard almost all possible combination of waveforms and beats imaginable. It's not that album isnt innovative by itself, it's the nature of sound that is creating the barrier. We can't jump higher because focking physics and laws of nature. Before it was much easier to invent and shock people with new shit. Now it's not..

That's so blatantly false.

tl;dr: typical fanboy fapoff

CD arrived yesterday evening. Took a nice day road trip through winding hills and farmland and listened to Syro in the whip. The CD sounded so great I kept pushing my amps until Produk 29 blew one of my speakers. The bass in that track is so beautiful. The hits are real tight and sweep low. For sure there's some 25-30khz sweeping kicks that were wobbling my windshield. I fucking love that song. Track starts off on some vibert funk tip and ends like a dancey psychedelic boc track.

Going to have to replace my speaker and not push syro to hard. Also there's some very abrupt high frequency drum samples in 4bit( I love love love those crystal synth melodies that come in).

The track 180db has some brain slappingly loud drums and almost so many layers of synths I get lost trying to hear them all. But actually 180db, which I only wish my system could reach, would probably stop your heart at a certain khz. To be honest that's championship competition car decibels right there. Car audio junkies at that level don't even sit in their vehicle or play more than a second of audio to get that high of a reading. Could it be possible Aphex has a system that pushes 180db?

I want to make a loop of Anastasia that has a 20 sec slow verbed fade out to silence before it loops, and let it last a few hours. I think I could sleep to that.

My favorite track as a whole is the title track, Syro. Aphex fusion is unexpected and hits home. I want an official Rich & Tom project album made up of ideas of syro & ufabulum.

My favorite moment of Syro is the last half of the xmas track. The first half is great, but when that groove hits, I get the same sense of awe I feel when listening to grooves like Alberto Balsalm.

My favorite section of that album is the Circlon twins with the timestretch interlude. Makes me want to dance and have an aphexian wigout. The repeating female vocal in the second half echos in my brain often now. Sounds like "sotchski"? So beautiful as it repeats. That vibe feels good, and the rolling beats and emotional synths force me to get down.

Beautiful album. Seems to fit well in it's place in time amongst other Aphex releases since I first discovered the RDJ album in 96. It all flows so well. There's a level of maturity, patience, and care with the entire hour that will be a treasure to cherish for the rest of my days. Thanks.

:cisfor:

As time went, we have discovered almost everything about sound synthesis, heard almost all possible combination of waveforms and beats imaginable. It's not that album isnt innovative by itself, it's the nature of sound that is creating the barrier. We can't jump higher because focking physics and laws of nature.

I'll just leave this excerpt from Bill Bryson's wonderful book A Short History of Nearly Everything here:

The whole world clanged and chuffed with the machinery and instruments that their ingenuity had produced. Many wise people believed that there was nothing much left for science to do.

In 1875, when a young German in Kiel named Max Planck was deciding whether to devote his life to mathematics or to physics, he was urged most heartily not to choose physics because the breakthroughs had all been made there. The coming century, he was assured, would be one of consolidation and refinement, not revolution. Planck didn't listen.

Good find, but I signed up to order MARCHROMT30A and it wouldn't let me add the track to my cart because of my location.

I just ordered MARCHROMT30A from ototoy.jp with my CC and had no trouble at all. You have to create an account, do a bit of google translating etc but it's not a biiig deal. It's also the 24-bit WAV version.

alac or flac or wave from ototoy are in 24-bit version, saw the price, it's the same for these formats... i would like to have in normal quality as cd... but thanks! this will prevent me from having/buying the Japanese import in addition to my CD and LP...

Guest jasondonervan

Done! Registered, paid and downloaded within 5 minutes. It cost me the grand sum of £1.60, you can download all formats for the one price as well. Great find, thanks very much! :beer:

ixiFoNR2RTSqI.jpg

ibqcV2OrQiKfl3.jpg

As time went, we have discovered almost everything about sound synthesis, heard almost all possible combination of waveforms and beats imaginable. It's not that album isnt innovative by itself, it's the nature of sound that is creating the barrier. We can't jump higher because focking physics and laws of nature.

I'll just leave this excerpt from Bill Bryson's wonderful book A Short History of Nearly Everything here:

The whole world clanged and chuffed with the machinery and instruments that their ingenuity had produced. Many wise people believed that there was nothing much left for science to do.

In 1875, when a young German in Kiel named Max Planck was deciding whether to devote his life to mathematics or to physics, he was urged most heartily not to choose physics because the breakthroughs had all been made there. The coming century, he was assured, would be one of consolidation and refinement, not revolution. Planck didn't listen.

sorry, if i haven't made my thought very clear. I've never said there's no room to grow - there is, of course. It's just more challenging because there is so much done already. And "innovations" are not in your face like they were in 90s. Syro is new for me in terms of composition - it's so alive and morphing like nothing out there. We've heard all synths and percussion before, basically, and maybe that's why people are complaining that it sounds like tuss outtakes on the first listen. But when you get used to it and start listening to album as a whole new experience (not in comparsion to tuss or drukqs), you start discovering that besides alike sounds, it's actually a really different beast with different ideas. It's really fresh to me, and Im sure he will do something even more experimental and new.

Done! Registered, paid and downloaded within 5 minutes. It cost me the grand sum of £1.60, you can download all formats for the one price as well. Great find, thanks very much! :beer:

ixiFoNR2RTSqI.jpg

ibqcV2OrQiKfl3.jpg

Yay

Guest jasondonervan

Should i get an email from http://ototoy.jp/ with download link?

(pretty sure i just purchased the thing after registering)

I had a confirmation of purchase email, then about a minute later another mail with a direct link to the file - downloads as a zip file, job done!

Edited by jasondonervan

yeah 24-bit... there is not 16-bit from ototoy?

16-bit is here, my man: http://ototoy.jp/_/default/p/45511

Oh my lovely man, how can I thank you! Great! Cool! Yeah! Wooow! Youhou! happy am i, may the force be with me & i go! yo!

I can not describe my state you or you'll be afraid...

:spiteful:

to jasondonervan : ;-) :beer: thanks again! promised, i will learn the japanese!

Guest jasondonervan

Oh my lovely man, how can I thank you! Great! Cool! Yeah! Wooow! Youhou! happy am i, may the force be with me & i go! yo!

I can not describe my state you or you'll be afraid...

:spiteful:

to jasondonervan : ;-) :beer: thanks again! promised, i will learn the japanese!

i30eSKlI6ZbSr.jpg

:beer:

Shit on a stick... got the website message.... but no email d/l yet.....

Processing has been completed Notice of purchase already message please confirm so we arrived as. Also,OTOTOY app (iOS version / free) in, you can enjoy immediate streaming track you purchased right now. Please check the list "song was recently acquired" and "library" to launch the app you have a iOS device.

Payment OK (success)

Thank you for your use
We are looking forward to using you again. OTOTOY top to

And "innovations" are not in your face like they were in 90s. Syro is new for me in terms of composition - it's so alive and morphing like nothing out there. We've heard all synths and percussion before, basically, and maybe that's why people are complaining that it sounds like tuss outtakes on the first listen.

If you're suggesting there haven't been many real innovations in music making technology lately, then you're probably right. Additive, subtractive, amplitude modulation, frequency modulation, phase modulation, phase distortion, wavetable, pulse code modulation (sampling), and physical modelling synthesis have all been around long enough for their patents to have expired, and although we're starting to get a lot more processing power and some nice new interfaces, it's been a while since anyone's discovered or invented a whole new method of synthesis, to my knowledge.

But I'm sure there are plenty of alternative methods of synthesis out there, we just haven't thought of them yet. It would be naïve to assume we've just about finished work on pretty much anything. Of course, this has nothing to do with musicians releasing albums, and everything to do with engineers releasing synthesisers. Although musicians drive the demand, and most people (myself included) seem to be getting really into old school synthesis methods right now.

Having said that, musicians as a whole still haven't really pushed samplers anywhere near as far as they can go. They can turn any sound in the world into a musical instrument, but most people seem to just want to play the Amen break on them.

Come to think of it, one of the nice things about Syro is the use of acoustic percussive instruments that are pretty obscure in popular music. That's good lateral thinking.