IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

33 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

he'll almost certainly get covid based on the 900x he touched his nose in this vidja. 

either that or he did a ton of coke before filming

licked his thumb a few times to help w/the papers too. 

Buchanan’s view of human nature was distinctly dismal. Adam Smith saw human beings as self-interested and hungry for personal power and material comfort, but he also acknowledged social instincts like compassion and fairness. Buchanan, in contrast, insisted that people were primarily driven by venal self-interest. Crediting people with altruism or a desire to serve others was “romantic” fantasy: politicians and government workers were out for themselves, and so, for that matter, were teachers, doctors, and civil rights activists. They wanted to control others and wrest away their resources: “Each person seeks mastery over a world of slaves,” he wrote in his 1975 book, The Limits of Liberty.

Does that sound like your kindergarten teacher? It did to Buchanan.

The people who needed protection were property owners, and their rights could only be secured though constitutional limits to prevent the majority of voters from encroaching on them, an idea Buchanan lays out in works like Property as a Guarantor of Liberty (1993). MacLean observes that Buchanan saw society as a cutthroat realm of makers (entrepreneurs) constantly under siege by takers (everybody else) His own language was often more stark, warning the alleged “prey” of “parasites” and “predators” out to fleece them.

In 1965 the economist launched a center dedicated to his theories at the University of Virginia, which later relocated to George Mason University. MacLean describes how he trained thinkers to push back against the Brown v. Board of Education decision to desegregate America’s public schools and to challenge the constitutional perspectives and federal policy that enabled it. She notes that he took care to use economic and political precepts, rather than overtly racial arguments, to make his case, which nonetheless gave cover to racists who knew that spelling out their prejudices would alienate the country.

Meet the Hidden Architect Behind America's Racist Economics (Lynn Parramore/Institute for New Economic Thinking)

• Like 2

Pentagon Training Equates Whistleblower Chelsea Manning With Terrorists

...unclassified JS-US007 materials obtained by The Intercept show that the Pentagon’s anti-terrorism trainees are learning a far broader definition of terrorism, one that includes the entirely nonviolent acts of Manning. On a slide listing “Examples of attacks by individuals thought to be loyal to the US,” Manning’s “2010 leaking of over 500,000 documents concerning operations in Iraq and Afghanistan” is listed first, followed by three examples of murder: the “2009 active shooter attack at Fort Hood,” the “2003 active shooter attack at Camp Pennsylvania,” and the “2001 anthrax attacks against Government facilities” that closely followed the attacks of September 11.

1 hour ago, Braintree said:

To be fair, that has been fairly standard since it occurred. Anti-terrorism would encompass security clearance conduct, home security, espionage, cyberhack, smuggling, etc. and Manning from the outset was a good example of extreme and senseless breach. “Whistleblower...Equates...with terrorists” is deliberately a bit vague and biased. That said, I’m talking early 10s in a different country, Trump era America who knows, and Americans can tend to have more specific jobs with a smaller purview in my experience.

Edited by Roo

8 minutes ago, Roo said:

To be fair, that has been fairly standard since it occurred. Anti-terrorism would encompass security clearance conduct, home security, espionage, cyberhack, smuggling, etc. and Manning from the outset was a good example of extreme and senseless breach. “Whistleblower...Equates...with terrorists” is deliberately a bit vague and biased. That said, I’m talking early 10s in a different country, Trump era America who knows, and Americans can tend to have more specific jobs with a smaller purview in my experience.

It's a really bad precedent to set, especially since whistleblowers aren't terrorists.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Braintree said:

It's a really bad precedent to set, especially since whistleblowers aren't terrorists.

I agree that seeming to equate whistleblowers with terrorists is a dodgy precedent to set. I read that slide in the article and it was made in poor taste imo, especially the shared conclusions. That said, counter-terrorism operations may be impacted by such an act as that, and it is an instructive case to people in a similar situation under the law with comparable access. 'Anti-terrorism' isn't just about explicit terrorist agents after all, and people involved in that space might also be transferably trained in broader security roles.

That said, Manning falls outside my definition of a genuine whistleblower.

But where lies the line between whistleblowing and stating the facts of something worrying unearthed of which the public has a right to know about?
In both cases it has consequences.
When is something harmful to the nation? When someone in power sees fit?
Has the public a right to know buried secrets? Which ones are okay and which ones are not?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, mister miller said:

that's my best guess. someone who was afraid of 5G towers creating covid and decided to take matters into their own hands.

apparently dude was really depressed and made a spectacle of his suicide. 'private reasons' seems most likely for the explosion. i'm sure more details will come. 

14 minutes ago, ignatius said:

apparently dude was really depressed and made a spectacle of his suicide. 'private reasons' seems most likely for the explosion. i'm sure more details will come. 

wow. some joker shit. 

thats terrible

On 12/27/2020 at 12:22 PM, ignatius said:

im sorry but this is all I can hear rn

• Haha 1