IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

On 12/30/2020 at 1:27 AM, ignatius said:

typical. 

Must have had a hard time hearing her over the chewing of a powdered doughnut.

• Farnsworth 1

3 hours ago, marf said:

People in other countries. Does your government's paper work ask you if you are white, black, hispanic, or asian?

Nah

19 hours ago, marf said:

People in other countries. Does your government's paper work ask you if you are white, black, hispanic, or asian?

I don't think the Belgian government is allowed to ask for ones 'race'.
I think they can ask for:
 - your second nationality if you have one
 - your country of origin if you moved here
But I'm not completely sure.

Besides that there are quite some anti-discrimination-laws over here:
(found on the website of the Belgian government, auto google translate)
"It is prohibited to discriminate against any person or group of persons on the basis of:
     their race, his skin color, his origin, his national or ethnic origin
     their sex
     their sexual orientation
     their civil status
     their birth
     their age
     their capital
     their religion or philosophy
     their current or future health condition
     their disability or special physical characteristics
Any discrimination based on these characteristics can be punished with a fine or even imprisonment."

This is especially important for the government itself, people working in public government buildings, employers, employees, and landlords.

Though discrimination does still happen here, I'm sure...
And there are some politicians who occasionally do dare to make racist remarks in public...
And there are quite some people who do dare to make racist remarks in private...

Sadly, discrimination in general is on the rise in Europe I think.

Edited by MaartenVC

20 hours ago, marf said:

Only on census forms. Hispanic isn't used outside of North America as far as I know.

Edited by Enthusiast

21 hours ago, marf said:

Only if indigenous (aboriginal or Torres Strait islander) or non-indigenous. The others never come up in paperwork in that way, LOTE first/second language accounts better there.

1 hour ago, prdctvsm said:

'm not on any social media sry, only hang out online on da watmm ((:: 

oflww5ep7l861.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&aewjsg7ep7l861.jpg?width=10800&format=pjp

Yeah, me neither; I don't even like when people repost stuff from Twitter here, feels like cheating, lol.

Also, cool pictures, remind me of Keith Haring.

On 12/31/2020 at 8:45 PM, Silent Member said:

Nah

Stop talking our ears off, @Silent Member.

• Thanks 1

what kids would say to joe biden if he called them. some funny answers like "How'd you get my number?" and "I'd rather Kamala call me instead of Joe"

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/31/business/how-11-kids-think-the-biden-administration-should-spend-our-money.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share

UQttnEt.jpg

• Like 1

It's sad that a lot of teachers can't even live in the same city as the school they teach in because their salaries are too low. They really ought to pay these people like doctors.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Braintree said:

It's sad that a lot of teachers can't even live in the same city as the school they teach in because their salaries are too low. They really ought to pay these people like doctors.

there's a whole bunch of fuckery around all that. cops can't often live in the same places they patrol.. or won't live in those places.. which fucks up the tax base thus means the money leaves teh district so poor people pay to have police come from the suburbs to oppress them. this obviously engenders some fucked up attitudes. same for when the police can't afford to live there.. the bay area is so expense the police have to cmmute from wherever to go to work.. they often act out against the people who live there.. young people working in tech etc. 

it's all fucked up. america is fucked up and needs some pragmatism and common sense rules. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

The America we are living in today is starting to trend toward the version shown in Brave New World. We’re on our way.

a highly technological existence with no meaning other than fulfilling the day day tasks for the continued existence of the society? no children. just test tube babies. no art or culture. just drugs and intense multimedia experiences followed up by pleasure with physically ideal but endlessly similar sexual partners in a utopia city? and all the rest living on the outskirts of that city. excluded. choosing to live in human simplicity without any tech and totally relying on their own wit for survival? 

if there's some kind of fascist technology fueled pragmatism that leads us there i don't see it yet. if that's where we're headed there's one big environmental apocalypse between then and now. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ignatius said:

there's a whole bunch of fuckery around all that. cops can't often live in the same places they patrol.. or won't live in those places.. which fucks up the tax base thus means the money leaves teh district so poor people pay to have police come from the suburbs to oppress them. this obviously engenders some fucked up attitudes. same for when the police can't afford to live there.. the bay area is so expense the police have to cmmute from wherever to go to work.. they often act out against the people who live there.. young people working in tech etc. 

it's all fucked up. america is fucked up and needs some pragmatism and common sense rules. 

Kind of a moot point since the police should be defunded anyway :emotawesomepm9:

• Farnsworth 1

10 hours ago, ignatius said:

a highly technological existence with no meaning other than fulfilling the day day tasks for the continued existence of the society? no children. just test tube babies. no art or culture. just drugs and intense multimedia experiences followed up by pleasure with physically ideal but endlessly similar sexual partners in a utopia city? and all the rest living on the outskirts of that city. excluded. choosing to live in human simplicity without any tech and totally relying on their own wit for survival? 

if there's some kind of fascist technology fueled pragmatism that leads us there i don't see it yet. if that's where we're headed there's one big environmental apocalypse between then and now. 

London was the World State, New Mexico, etc was the wasteland. This is heading toward being a cultural wasteland somewhat IMO. Maybe we can still save it, but if COVID lingers for a decade, cracks will continue to grow in the culture.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Nebraska said:

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

lols. that's classic. made an appearance in the 'reddit try not to laugh challenge' that year.