IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

It's a fate a little worse than death really. At least death is an escape. You get your outrageous bill for $13,500* for a one night stay.

"I can't afford that" so you fill out a mountain of paperwork with proof of income and other invasive shit. 

"Good news, we've negotiated your bill to $6,200! How does $217 per month sound for the next 2.5 years?"

You do it because what fucking choice do you have, right? That was just one night with relatively conservative treatment. It scales up very quickly from there. 

*all values in post are based on a real life incident this year with my mom who is 1 year away from being Medicare eligible.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, xxx said:

It's a fate a little worse than death really. At least death is an escape. You get your outrageous bill for $13,500* for a one night stay.

"I can't afford that" so you fill out a mountain of paperwork with proof of income and other invasive shit. 

"Good news, we've negotiated your bill to $6,200! How does $217 per month sound for the next 2.5 years?"

You do it because what fucking choice do you have, right? That was just one night with relatively conservative treatment. It scales up very quickly from there. 

*all values in post are based on a real life incident this year with my mom who is 1 year away from being Medicare eligible.

It's a f-ing disgrace that that is considered a viable option for some kind of healthcare system in a modern western society.

Edited by goDel
  • Like 2

On 10/11/2017 at 11:10 AM, Nebraska said:

welp: it's over for weinstein. 

insurance companies representing the weinstein company  will pay his accusers (18 women) $6.2 million which they will split amongst them. another $18.5 million would be set aside as part of a class-action case.

he doesn't have to admit to any wrong doing and this would end all his civil lawsuits.

https://www.thewrap.com/harvey-weinstein-and-accusers-reach-tentative-25-million-settlement-report/

IOoA.gif

3 hours ago, Nebraska said:

insurance companies representing the weinstein company  will pay his accusers (18 women) $6.2 million which they will split amongst them. another $18.5 million would be set aside as part of a class-action case.

he doesn't have to admit to any wrong doing and this would end all his civil lawsuits.

https://www.thewrap.com/harvey-weinstein-and-accusers-reach-tentative-25-million-settlement-report/

IOoA.gif

he deal is tentative and has to be approved by a judge though right?  he still has criminal case pending in new york. 

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-entertainment/2019/12/11/judge-raises-harvey-weinsteins-bail-million-after-court-hearing/

It is unclear how many alleged victims would ultimately participate in the settlement. But at least four are not taking part, and some may oppose the deal in court. These include Alexandra Canosa, a television producer who has accused Weinstein of raping, threatening and sexually abusing her several times over the course of five years. Her attorney Thomas Giuffra said in a statement that there is “nothing fair or just” about the proposed deal.

I used to use "they" as a gender neutral singular all the time when I was in elementary school.  Then one day my mom wanted to know what group of people I was referring to, and when she realized I was talking about one friend she got all grammar nazi on me, and I stopped using it as a singular term.  Now when I do meet someone who identifies as "they" I have a very hard time getting passed the grammar thing that was beaten into me from childhood.  I do try though.

Edited by Zephyr_Nova

40 minutes ago, darreichungsform said:

Does using "they" as a singular pronoun sound weird to a native speaker's ear? I guess I can get away with using it because my English is weird anyway, but does it sound wrong? I use it all the time

overuse/use in the wrong context or to the wrong degree definitely sounds abnormal. but of course normal is ever-changing.

• Like 1

So, i guess the idea is it will get normal once more people (a majority?) indentifies themselves as gender fluid? ...and the old generation has passed away? ( is gender fluid ok, or should it be multiple genders?)

and out of curiosity, would a gender fluid person refer to themselve(s) as "we" and "our". Or are we going to confuse the F out of everyone and do they use "I", "me" and "mine" ?

and does a person with multiple genders consider themselves as having multiple identities? And if thats the case, should we also use singular "they" for all people with multiple identities, regardless of their gender?

i'm sure some people spent a lot of time thinking this through. From the moron perspective, me and mine, it's confusing as fuck, though. And i gotta say shapiro has a point here. I'll admit I'm being insensitive. But thats the thing. If people having multiple genders is not a thing you come across on a daily basis, the "they" will never catch on. It's too confusing and not intuitive. And I tend to believe people in general will remain insensitive. 

Similar to saying "Jesus Christ!" as a curse, and having to struggle to stop doing that if you insult the occasional religious person. Even if that religious person is someone you talk to on a daily basis. If it's the only religious person, the "Jesus!" curse is f-ing hard to get out of your system. And this is even without the extra confusion of using a plural "they" as a singular. Why the ambiguity!? Makes it even more confusing.

Please dont tell me I triggered half the forum with this post... ?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StephenG said:

Why not just call people by their name ?‍♂️

Why not call all people cunt?

32 minutes ago, goDel said:

So, i guess the idea is it will get normal once more people (a majority?) indentifies themselves as gender fluid? ...and the old generation has passed away? ( is gender fluid ok, or should it be multiple genders?)

and out of curiosity, would a gender fluid person refer to themselve(s) as "we" and "our". Or are we going to confuse the F out of everyone and do they use "I", "me" and "mine" ?

and does a person with multiple genders consider themselves as having multiple identities? And if thats the case, should we also use singular "they" for all people with multiple identities, regardless of their gender?

i'm sure some people spent a lot of time thinking this through. From the moron perspective, me and mine, it's confusing as fuck, though. And i gotta say shapiro has a point here. I'll admit I'm being insensitive. But thats the thing. If people having multiple genders is not a thing you come across on a daily basis, the "they" will never catch on. It's too confusing and not intuitive. And I tend to believe people in general will remain insensitive. 

Similar to saying "Jesus Christ!" as a curse, and having to struggle to stop doing that if you insult the occasional religious person. Even if that religious person is someone you talk to on a daily basis. If it's the only religious person, the "Jesus!" curse is f-ing hard to get out of your system. And this is even without the extra confusion of using a plural "they" as a singular. Why the ambiguity!? Makes it even more confusing.

Please dont tell me I triggered half the forum with this post... ?

I agree that this whole speaking / writing genderwise correctly thing can go way too far. The German language is much more affected by this because there are gender endings that get messed up by symbols like * or _ which looks totally out of place, e.g. Schüler_innen to combine the masculine Schüler with the feminine Schülerin, and if you want to include transgenders as well you use a *: Schüler*innen. Looks totally shitty and destroys the reading flow. Some people even invented a new ending "-ix" which if you use it makes you sound like a retard. Very unpractical.

But if a person wants to avoid saying "he or she" they can instead say "they" which is shorter. Very practical.  But if it sounds stupid I'm going to avoid it.

• Like 1

DeWitt R. Thomas, who has a Hawkins address, filed a federal lawsuit against Two Rivers Grocery Store & Market in Big Sandy because he believes his civil rights and religious freedom were violated when an African American sacker touched his groceries against his wishes.

"When I was going through the checkout line, a Negro had came to sack my groceries. My creed encompasses Vedism, which is precedent to Hindu. And I made it clear that I did not want someone black sacking my groceries. By law, I have equal access. I have freedom of religion and he is not supposed to refuse me regardless of my religion, and that is what he has done."

https://www.kltv.com/story/19185217/east-texan-files-racially-charged-lawsuit/

19185217_SA.jpg

• Facepalm 2