IGNORED

How does the World view America these days?

Rubin Farr

Everyone should be proud of their country, but their country should stay within its own borders. The United States leads a very poor example of this and it's shameful.

Why? "your country" is an accident of birth. What a ridiculous thing to be proud of.

There's nothing wrong with being proud of something that you were just born into. Every country has had an impact on history and it should be celebrated that you are apart of that.

Everyone should be proud of their country, but their country should stay within its own borders. The United States leads a very poor example of this and it's shameful.

Why? "your country" is an accident of birth. What a ridiculous thing to be proud of.

There's nothing wrong with being proud of something that you were just born into. Every country has had an impact on history and it should be celebrated that you are apart of that.

what? I can understand being proud of the current situation of your country cause you're playing an active part in it (to a degree), but why would you be proud of something you had nothing to do with?

Edited by ThatSpanishGuy

Guest Chesney

Pride? Wow.

I live where I live because I got shit out of a mimsy which happened to be here.

I'm proud of my mum for giving me what I have now but in no way am I proud to be where I live. That's just lucky or unlucky.

Fuck anyone with this fake pride. Get a hobby and do something real to be proud of.

And thus was born classism.

What active role are you playing in "making 'murica great again, again"?

I never said anything about playing a role. It's not about past or current governments, It's only about history. Mainly because my family was apart of it.

I don't get what's wrong with a personal belief that someone may hold.

Edited by clarktrent

What did your family do to make America great? Were they white slavers?

Are you being serious? Why are you trying to make this personal? But to answer your question, I'm not sure. It's not even about them making anything "great". One of my past family members was Cotton Mather. I wouldn't necessarily he made America great by encouraging witch trials, but that isn't my point. I'm saying that history is an amazing thing and I don't think that it should be looked down upon.

EDIT: Why did you feel the need to add the word "white"? It's unnecessary.

Edited by clarktrent

What did your family do to make America great? Were they white slavers?

Are you being serious? Why are you trying to make this personal? But to answer your question, I'm not sure. It's not even about them making anything "great". One of my past family members was Cotton Mather. I wouldn't necessarily he made America great by encouraging witch trials, but that isn't my point. I'm saying that history is an amazing thing and I don't think that it should be looked down upon.

EDIT: Why did you feel the need to add the word "white"? It's unnecessary.

History and being proud of your country are two totally different things.

Cotton Mather being in your family tree does explain something though. And yeah encouraging witch trials didn't make America great, lol.

I can understand having an appreciation for my country's history, as I can also appreciate Japan's, or Germany's, or Argentina's histories, but I'm not proud of any of them.

I can understand having an appreciation for my country's history, as I can also appreciate Japan's, or Germany's, or Argentina's histories, but I'm not proud of any of them.

Exactly. Thank you for saying what I was trying to (and failing) explain.

when you've grown up not having lived anywhere you really belonged, you're kind of forced to have this view. and it's a perk in some ways, I realise. it still sucks that you don't feel like one with any particular community but being an outsider means you're naturally inclined to look at everything neutrally.

when you've grown up not having lived anywhere you really belonged, you're kind of forced to have this view. and it's a perk in some ways, I realise. it still sucks that you don't feel like one with any particular community but being an outsider means you're naturally inclined to look at everything neutrally.

Not to speak for Braintree or chenGOD but I think you're missing the point. That Doug Stanhope video sums it up pretty nicely too - stuff that happened in the past has jack shit to do with our individual (or really even collective) efforts, all it does is provide more context/complexity/baggage/twisted-karma to the respective situation each of us is thrust into. Why be proud of it?

I'm tempted to request a definition of the word "proud" here. If you can say this with any degree of sincerity you're not thinking very hard.

aren't we still talking about roots, basically? where you're from and how it shapes you? national pride comes from that. if you've lived uprooted your whole life it doesn't really have a chance to settle in, which is the point I was making. I think it's increasingly common, which is why we now question things like taking pride in your country or whatever when 50 years ago/in our parents' generation it would've been the norm. globalisation has ended that.

That's the problem with shitheads who carry guns; it solves all their problems for them, even the ones they create. Got his ass beat silly by some sixteen year olds because he brought the fight to them, and responds by flashing a gun. I've no doubt the kids probably were driving like idiots, but his handling of his rage/the situation was terrible, and it's exactly those types of people who don't need to be walking around with a gun (even if he had the sense not to pull it out right away).

I've had this same exact discussion on this forum and it didn't end well.

Applies to literally any conversation ever had on WATMM. :watmm:

aren't we still talking about roots, basically? where you're from and how it shapes you? national pride comes from that. if you've lived uprooted your whole life it doesn't really have a chance to settle in, which is the point I was making. I think it's increasingly common, which is why we now question things like taking pride in your country or whatever when 50 years ago/in our parents' generation it would've been the norm. globalisation has ended that.

Those subtle differences are hugely important, regional cultural differences were bigger deals last century than now, even among allied nations. Internet completely shattered it. They have eroded a lot to the point where people almost seem to exaggerate or manufacture "local" culture or pride...in fact i think a lot of this misplaced ethos seeps into sports fandom.

Look at accents for example, they used to be attached to geography and class almost 100%. Now for generations its not unusual for suburban and urban kids to have non accents or, ironically, for people in the US to speak with faux country/southern accents or exaggerated urban ones. Idioms still seem persistent though. Many of my peers here in Texas sound like we could be from any US state but we say y'all and 'fixin' without even thinking about it

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Huge irony about many nationalist and self proclaimed patriots in the US us they are the same ones who bash other states and regions or call for things like Texas secession or insist on the right for people to fly the confederate flag. That shit does actually make me feel like defending the idea of America, yet they scoff at payriotic liberals. Those fringe assholes literally want to have it both ways.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I will say, though: if you move to the United States and pass that test to become an American citizen, you're entitled to be proud to be an American.

I don't think that's not what Lee Greenwood had in mind, though...

George Zimmerman on Trayvon Martin’s Parents: ‘They Didn’t Raise Their Son Right’

In a recent interview with the Daily Beast, Zimmerman claims that he, not Trayvon, is the real victim and questioned Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin's parenting skills.

"They didn't raise their son right. He attacked a complete stranger and attempted to kill him," Zimmerman said.
"Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin did everything they could to capitalize on her son's death," he said. "She was never a mother figure to him. Tracy Martin couldn't have cared less about their son. He treated him like a dog without a leash."

http://www.theroot.com/articles/news/2016/05/george_zimmerman_on_trayvon_martin_s_parents_they_didn_t_raise_their_son.html