IGNORED

Social Media's Effects On Our Minds & Lives

autopilot

3 hours ago, Walter Ostanek said:

How long before people watch a deepfake version on their shitty goggles of an actual event that's happening in front of them, and believe the goggles over their own eyes?

via @prdctvsm the dank memes thread

4e0562ba5f39d79d8efb81d513b9e329623b217b

• Like 2

On 2/10/2024 at 12:24 AM, Alcofribas said:

The user experiences the pleasure of using the goggles 

So there is no docking?

Another problem with these goggles is it’s hard to tell if a woman is that attractive with them on.  
So, it’s like end of the night she comes to your place, and she takes off her goggles and she’s fugly, what do you do? :whistling:

• Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, YEK said:

Another problem with these goggles is it’s hard to tell if a woman is that attractive with them on.  
So, it’s like end of the night she comes to your place, and she takes off her goggles and she’s fugly, what do you do? :whistling:

You keep yours.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, YEK said:

"leave the goggles on. it's hot"

seems like ya could multi task. go half screen. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 2

I find it really bizarre that the only social media Biden has a visible account that I am aware of is X which is controlled by a guy who openly supports Trump and puts the putin interview on sticky. I wouldn’t be surprised if he also limits or manipulates bidens reach on the network.

Obama often mentioned how social media and reach on the internet helped him win the election and I am pretty sure what is happening right now was elons plan all along as he hates Biden for serval reasons

Edited by o00o
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, o00o said:

I find it really bizarre that the only social media Biden has a visible account that I am aware of is X which is controlled by a guy who openly supports Trump and puts the putin interview on sticky. I wouldn’t be surprised if he also limits or manipulates bidens reach on the network.

Obama often mentioned how social media and reach on the internet helped him win the election and I am pretty sure what is happening right now was elons plan all along as he hates Biden for serval reasons

the Biden administration just joined Tiktok actually, happened over the last couple days or something

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/politics/biden-campaign-joins-tiktok-but-administration-still-warns-of-apps-national-security-concerns

5 minutes ago, o00o said:

Biden on tik tok as of yesterday: https://www.axios.com/2024/02/12/biden-campaign-tiktok-account-first-video

In a video captioned "lol hey guys," Biden answered fun Super Bowl related questions such as "game or commercials" and "Jason Kelce or Travis Kelce."

lol hey guys - hey all you palestinian women and children - sorry the bombs we made here in America blew apart your bodies straight through, so much tonnage of heavy weapons, non-precision ones as well - lol - hey - oh hey Michigan swing voters with large Muslim population - hey - sorry if those bombs literally cooked your relatives internal organs in Gaza and if the temperatures were so hot that your relatives eyeballs melted and that other ones directly hit there is nothing left of them now but the fillings that were in their teeth sorry lol hey - sorry hey lolo to the ones who survived and had to get amputated without anesthetic haha lol hey guys whoops -  all you young ones should vote for me this way we can prvent the fascismmm

• Like 2
  • Big Brain 1

I was already quite disgusted by how much kids - youg kids especially, like, 6 to 12 years old) are stuck on tiktok,

and above all absolutely afraid by how much time they spend watching it.

I watched, few days ago, a report that says  that average time-per-day spend watching tiktok stuff for kids was like 3 hours i.i.r.c.(from a french/german tv channel who is quite serious i.m.o. , i can copy url if someone want to check the source of the data )

well, for some reason, I took bus / tramway / walk everyday instead of car in the last weeks, and have observed that  every kids are really all stucked on a smartphone with tiktok while travelliing. tiktok on every phone down there.

I often could watch over their shoulder and what I saw is an insane amount of absolutely stupid shorts vids being watched like 3 to 10 seconds,

and then clicking "like" (more often than not)   even if they saw 5% of the full vid lenght. you can imagine how they will be fullfilled by shit by the algorythm of the platform furthjer down the way.

quite knew about it already, and was not expecting much more t.b.h,  but seeing it daily revealed to me that it's gone really crazy how stupid the content is, and how much time they spend on it. some kids admit they could spend 8 hours on sundays on tiktok (you can check used time on apps in your account or your phone).

like, spending the whole sunday scrolling 10-seconds-tiktok videos in their bedroom. seriously.

I even saw, last saturday, a kid, wich was no more than 5 year old, alone in the stand of the gymnasium, alone with a phone, browsing tiktok while his father was accompanying her older sister to the gymnastics lesson, for 45 minutes   even with a parental limitation of the browser or something (I guess (hope) this was activated ),  the videos where, ... well can't describe in a few worlds- it was just absolutely stupid, alienating and mentally negative for  5 year old kid.

This is really frightening to be honnest.

1 hour ago, decibal cooper said:

Biden on tik tok as of yesterday:

yeah and this in addition (he's far to be the first and only high-important politician doing this)

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 7:32 PM, YEK said:

didn't we just go through that with masks for covid

unless medical play is what gets you going, in which case...

On 2/10/2024 at 6:47 PM, ignatius said:

"leave the goggles on. it's hot"

seems like ya could multi task. go half screen. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, neurone said:

I was already quite disgusted by how much kids - youg kids especially, like, 6 to 12 years old) are stuck on tiktok,

did you try tiktok yourself? its pretty good and one of the best algorithms out there. I wouldn't call it social media. Its actually intelligent zapping. but yeah media consumption has to be parented. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, neurone said:

I watched, few days ago, a report that says  that average time-per-day spend watching tiktok stuff for kids was like 3 hours i.i.r.c.(from a french/german tv channel who is quite serious i.m.o. , i can copy url if someone want to check the source of the data )

I talked to my 15 year old nephew over the holidays about this, and I asked him to open his screen time on his phone and it was close to 8 hours daily. We had watched the Scorsese film The Wolf of Wall Street a few weeks prior, and I joked with him about his screen time the lines from that film: "Those are rookie numbers, you gotta get those numbers up." I did talk honestly with him after that, though, trying to help him understand that these apps are designed to be addictive in much the same way that other habit-forming behaviors (be it gambling, drugs, alcohol, etc.) are addictive. I always think too about what Thomas Pynchon said in Inherent Vice about drug addiction, opioids in this case, that there is something about American life that people are trying to escape, that they would rather not look at or engage with and that many maybe do not understand (especially the younger generations who spend so much time on these social media apps). 

I also love that quote from one of the Boards of Canada guys, think it was in NYT interview for Tomorrow's Harvest, where he basically said that these technologies give people the illusion that they are expressing themselves (and are developing a self of self through their participation in these apps) but in reality the outcome of these technologies is that they wind up "homogenizing the user base." I definitely agree that this is what happening, although I acknowledge that this is not the be-all-end-all of the effects and uses of technology, that there are positive uses as well.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, o00o said:

did you try tiktok yourself? its pretty good and one of the best algorithms out there.

ha ! I admit I did not fully ty it yet.   for shure I might find interesting thing, or have a nice time watching random vids for relaxing like I could do on youtube sometimes ,

so I'm not saying tiktok is the devil .   I was more about kids and screens.   - and lol maybe I'm frustrated not being able to spend a whole sunday watching stuff because I got lots of fuking things to get done these days so I might over-react as well.

9 hours ago, decibal cooper said:

they wind up "homogenizing the user base." I definitely agree that this is what happening

yeah, that's what's frightening.

9 hours ago, decibal cooper said:

I acknowledge that this is not the be-all-end-all of the effects and uses of technology, that there are positive uses as well.

yes surely. hopefully.

Edited by neurone
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, o00o said:

did you try tiktok yourself? its pretty good and one of the best algorithms out there. I wouldn't call it social media. Its actually intelligent zapping. but yeah media consumption has to be parented. 

it's a Chinese surveillance platform.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, usagi said:

it's a Chinese surveillance platform.

well the report I saw (wich brings me on talking about tiktok on this thread) was also  investigating about this fact, but I did't want to go about it there, because I have a lack of knowledge about it, and going into paranoid /disinform was not my point.   but yeah it's blurry. dunno.  

also, french students interviewed admitted having a side-job being hired by tiktok to browse posts, and then report to them some kind of content, upon some pre-defined crtieria, wich was then helping them to censor posts or ban users.

Edited by neurone
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, neurone said:

also, french students interviewed admitted having a side-job being hired by tiktok to browse posts, and then report to them some kind of content, upon some pre-defined crtieria, wich was then helping them to censor posts or ban users.

Do you remember a few months ago when Osama Bin Laden's 'letter to the west' went viral on tik tok, and a bunch of American teens were making posts sympathizing with Bin Laden? I of course have no idea how this stuff works, but it made me think that there are maybe content moderators that do the opposite of censoring and banning. Instead, they find things that will influence young people to have a negative view of their own government in America, and then they somehow use the technology and algorithms to amplify that content. This is all just speculation, but it would be a very Chinese thing to do (from a propaganda war perspective). Reminds me of that Sun Tzu quote: "To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting." Anyway, just some Dale Gribble ramblings here, but I doubt that CCP is not using Tik Tok for propaganda against US populace. Hopefully once the dust settles with this election there are stories that surface about how they do it (if indeed they do). This was the case with how Russia used Facebook to sow political division in American in the lead up to the 2016 election. 

Edited by decibal cooper
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, decibal cooper said:

Do you remember a few months ago when Osama Bin Laden's 'letter to the west' went viral on tik tok,

no I don't , and I can't read your link because it pops up cookies management and 'please unlock your ad block' or stuff , so have not time to deal with it right now,

but thank you for the link, will dig it a bit more after writing.

22 hours ago, decibal cooper said:

it made me think that there are maybe content moderators that do the opposite of censoring and banning. Instead, they find things that will influence young people to have a negative view of their own government in America, and then they somehow use the technology and algorithms to amplify that content. This is all just speculation, but it would be a very Chinese thing to do (from a propaganda war perspective).

yep, well those browsing/reporting side-jobs I was talking about, was all set-up to help china government to do their propaganda banning content that could be ambarrasing for them (for the chinese government I mean)

so not shure what's your point, ( I'm pretty shure we are on the same wavelenght about all this - andi if not, that's what discussion and arguing is made for - I mean it's ok I just wanna be shure to understand what you mean )

If someone will use tiktok as a backfire to fight agaisnt US gov propaganda, farewell,, but by doing this they'll also help integrist terrorist or chinese dictatorship to  legitimise their shit on the other side. I mean, well, this is all about propaganda right ? this, on both sides. don't wanna fall in the "it's all black or all white " manichean view of things but I assume thinking that facebook could be a US watching / propaganda tool as tikitok is a chinese propaganda tool. dunno, I'm pretty lost about this tbh.

It's really hard to sum-up in a few worlds but if I come back to my first point, kids being sticked on those kind of apps just tilt-up something wrong to me somehow.

I usually stick on - almost -talking strictly about music in there (watmm), but this subject has got me in recently, and as the title of this thread says, "social media and it effects on our minds and life", so I'm talking about this these days - (watmm is my social media in some ways   ha ha ) so this thread (as do others) is really interesting and get me upward. there's lots of topics I read, and even if I not comment back, there's been lots if very interesting readings in there for me.

I never had a facebook, twitter, intagram, tiktok account or whatsoever, ( shoul I ?)but I'm totally okay with people using those apps, I'm not a fucking regressive man or stupid boomer, it's just that I don't need it, I don't ever have a smartphone, but due to that siuation, it's hard to keep in touch and understand what's going on,in all this and that's why I keep on reading this thread and try to understand what's going on. (and also talking with people of course, I'm not sourcing only from watmm of course) - but very interesting posts from you folks all along the way.

- edit :  re, about kids, it's all about education and accompaniement, let them use everything, but let me being able to explain them what it is. so let me make the effort of understanding what's going on so I can be a bit objective.

Edited by neurone