IGNORED

Social Media's Effects On Our Minds & Lives

autopilot

1 hour ago, o00o said:

can‘t wait until this is the new normal. Looks exactly like it did when people started using a mobile phone or a smartphone 

"watching a mr. beast video on a subway platform is a pretty special experience"

ugh. is it really?  there's probably something cool about this thing but for everyday things walking around in a city i don't know what it offers over a smart phone other than eye protection. 

• Like 2

"you can design your wing ding hoo ha over breakfast.. always be working! then go right into entertainment mode and enjoy some content! stay focused and in your individual space never talking to other human beings. it's great!"

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, o00o said:

can‘t wait until this is the new normal. Looks exactly like it did when people started using a mobile phone or a smartphone 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Farnsworth 1

4 hours ago, MaartenVC said:

I want to be excited about new tech... but it seems so very dystopian to me.

It almost activates a primal fear in me. Weird. Can't really explain it.

Maybe this tech really is inevitable. In that case we better get used to it.

Maybe a bit too distracting to use this in public? But then again, so were smartphones.

Or will this tech stay more confined to work and home-entertainment, and these are just early adopters testing the waters?

Anyone here has this, and willing to share their experiences?

this is quite dystopian yeah. the all screens all the time thing is pretty close already, and as much as i'm a part of the problem for all that, i can't imagine stepping over that line into AR/VR any time soon. i've played with AR on my phone briefly and it's...kind of silly at the moment. i'm sure there's some good uses for it already, but i ain't seen them for me.

the primal fear thing may be related to the obstruction of the face, which really is key for most general common societal interaction (among most people). hiding the face in any way is automatically related to games/acting/religiousness/etc., it's taking oneself away from the basic human interaction space as long as we've had tribes i'm sure...but the full taking away of the eyes is a pretty stark step. replacing them with a false version of that person's eyes really is a new level of inhuman, very dystopian.

i think this is a level far past having a cell phone, and i was pretty anti-cell phones for a lot of years...

it'll find a place at home/office (for particular types of work maybe, occasionally)

4 hours ago, ignatius said:

"watching a mr. beast video on a subway platform is a pretty special experience"

ugh. is it really?  there's probably something cool about this thing but for everyday things walking around in a city i don't know what it offers over a smart phone other than eye protection. 

the cool stuff with this will likely be gaming, science, engineering, stuff like that. it'll have professional and casual use cases but there'll be a much better version of this down the way that look like regular glasses, and those may become ubiquitous...but this is the car phone/sat phone progenitor to that tech.

4 hours ago, logakght said:

VR is the most useless shit ever pushed by stupid fucking idiots Silicon Valley. 

^p much, minus NFTs/blockchain BS. this is probably another way of trying to push that type of tech on the general populace tho

6 hours ago, o00o said:

Looks exactly like it did when people started using a mobile phone or a smartphone 

not really. a cell you can slip in a pocket or purse, ever since they became popular among the masses, can silence them, etc. this thing is a notch down from a goddamned motorcycle helmet, you can't just stow it away in a split second...it's on your face, tethered to you...it's not designed for public use.

Spoiler

Screenshot2024-02-04at12_14_14PM.png.2bc18930ab814a6d6d1a62358359dc21.png

Edited by auxien
forgot to respond to logakght's post
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, auxien said:

the cool stuff with this will likely be gaming, science, engineering, stuff like that. it'll have professional and casual use cases but there'll be a much better version of this down the way that look like regular glasses, and those may become ubiquitous...but this is the car phone/sat phone progenitor to that tech.

oh for sure.. once we get to contact lens implants like the spy in the expanse i think it'll be super cool but when will that happen if ever? who knows. 

but seems a good thing for certain types of work and perhaps interesting for the visually impaired. right now it's a tech gadget for most people except someone who was already needing it as a solution for something essential to their lives. 

1 minute ago, Wunderbar said:

until it shatters in your face and the glass gets in your eyes.

"apple recalls all Vision Pro devices after class action lawsuit over people falling forward onto their faces"

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ignatius said:

there's probably something cool about this thing but for everyday things walking around in a city i don't know what it offers over a smart phone other than eye protection. 

In thinking about possible silver lining, I thought about how it might work to mix a song in a DAW after all of the recording is finished. Like being able to swipe to get different tracks or groups of tracks, but they would appear as their own portion of the screen, and being able to adjust values of plugins and to record automation with the simulated touchscreen thing that the tech is able to accomplish. It's easy enough to do this just with a regular laptop, and I'd never pay $3500 to get something like this, but there might be a lot of cool things that could be done with this. I'm not much of a gamer, but these things must be really fun for gaming.

2 minutes ago, decibal cooper said:

In thinking about possible silver lining, I thought about how it might work to mix a song in a DAW after all of the recording is finished. Like being able to swipe to get different tracks or groups of tracks, but they would appear as their own portion of the screen, and being able to adjust values of plugins and to record automation with the simulated touchscreen thing that the tech is able to accomplish. It's easy enough to do this just with a regular laptop, and I'd never pay $3500 to get something like this, but there might be a lot of cool things that could be done with this. I'm not much of a gamer, but these things must be really fun for gaming.

i've seen the google tilt brush thing in their VR headset being used for immersive animation and 3D sketching to amazing results. cartoons where you go into the house and have access to rooms etc.. this gets used in interesting ways in a cartoon narrative.. so, i'm guessing immersive anime styled stuff would be pretty awesome and connect people in a deeper way to what's happening. some people anyways. 

also, this artist sougwen chung who works w/a robot assistant a lot.. a drawing arm she created/programmed to collaborate with.. she did some cool stuff in the google thing and then 3d printed it as sculpture which was pretty amazing. 

i guess, lidar type scanning and modeling things then reproducing them w/a 3d printer etc would be cool. capture a broken part, make it in the garage, fix the broken thing.. might be streamlined when the tech is there in something like this headset thinga mabob

• Like 1

1 hour ago, auxien said:

not really. a cell you can slip in a pocket or purse, ever since they became popular among the masses, can silence them, etc. this thing is a notch down from a goddamned motorcycle helmet, you can't just stow it away in a split second...it's on your face, tethered to you...it's not designed for public use

i am not talking about the point they got to mass market I am talking about the beginning:

IMG_3133.thumb.jpeg.b7ed4867fa72f986b73bdc65e839ca08.jpeg

There was a point mobile phones where called car phones as they where to large to transport 

Edited by o00o
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, o00o said:

c031ad50be0db997.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

the good news is that pretty much all of these over priced, over hyped tech gadgets rolled out at a retail level usually fail. remember 3dTV's? Google Glasses? this Apple vision thing looks cut from the same cloth as products like that.

the "primal fear" thing mentioned is an intrinsic safeguard mechanism the mind taps into, which helps the human experiencing it to steer clear of making a dumb decision...like buying a $3500 pair of ski goggles.

Edited by zero
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

to me, this is worth $3,500 if I can virtually jack my penis and it will experience the pleasure for me. 

You will

• Jack your penis
  • virtually jack your penis
  • jack your virtual penis
  • virtually jack your virtual penis

Fourfold pleasure, with all pleasure experienced uploaded to the cloud in lossless quality, downloadable for all humanity until the end of time.

• Haha 1
  • Farnsworth 2

1 hour ago, BlockUser said:

You will

• Jack your penis
  • virtually jack your penis
  • jack your virtual penis
  • virtually jack your virtual penis

Fourfold pleasure, with all pleasure experienced uploaded to the cloud in lossless quality, downloadable for all humanity until the end of time.

siri, jack penis

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Alcofribas said:

to me, this is worth $3,500 if I can virtually jack my penis and it will experience the pleasure for me. 

if you pray a lot.. jesus will make you born again but this time you'll be able to reach your penis with your mouth. 

• Haha 2
  • Farnsworth 1

7 hours ago, zero said:

buying a $3500 pair of ski goggles

People pay $3500 and more for a tv screen. When I think of it as a very large screen that is also very portable the price is totally ok. I personally have a high need for a large portable screen like this for work to exend my laptop but I think it’s a bit early yet. Also buying a screen like this for work for this price is not very far fetched 

Edited by o00o

54 minutes ago, o00o said:

People pay $3500 and more for a tv screen. When I think of it as a very large screen that is also very portable the price is totally ok. I personally have a high need for a large portable screen like this for work to exend my laptop but I think it’s a bit early yet. Also buying a screen like this for work for this price is not very far fetched 

32inch LCD TVs were around $5000 for a decent brand back in 2003 or so.  The tv I bought a few years ago was like $400 and it’s 50+ inches and has many more features than tvs of that era. 

the market for $3500 tvs today probably overlaps some with the various VR goggles that currently exist. Meaning it’s small. 

I can see how there’s lots of specific uses for apple goggles now in various careers. Otherwise it seems like a solution in search of a problem. High end consumer gadget that some people will really enjoy and others will hope to discover life hacks or whatever. But people who want to enter a space and mock up lighting for a performance… museum installations etc. anything where someone would benefit from seeing something in a space before they build it will probably find a way to do that with AR and VR goggles and the relevant app. This saving time and money

edit: also, if say ya want to see what the Sheraton hotel in 1993 downtown New Orleans looks like on fire during Mardi Gras without actually hallucinating it then VR goggles might make that possible. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 2

On 2/5/2024 at 1:57 AM, ignatius said:

But people who want to enter a space and mock up lighting for a performance… museum installations etc. anything where someone would benefit from seeing something in a space before they build it will probably find a way to do that with AR and VR goggles and the relevant app. This saving time and money

edit: also, if say ya want to see what the Sheraton hotel in 1993 downtown New Orleans looks like on fire during Mardi Gras without actually hallucinating it then VR goggles might make that possible. 

These are great points, makes me think that these gadgets could prove beneficial in an educational context, like visualizations of Napoleon's war strategies and tactics in real time, or learning about gothic architecture with virtual tours of the best cathedrals or something. Would probably be even better to have software that can help with literacy and math and whatnot that really channels the visual and tactile features of the technology, but if I could virtually 'be there' in any event, I'd definitely want to experience warfare of some kind, like the fire bombing of Japan from both the aerial perspective of the pilots, the people on the ground during the bombing, and then just kind of wandering throughout Tokyo after the dust has settled. I think it is probably true that people in 'developed' countries do not have strong opinions against war because the total glut of images and enraged opinions on the net kinda desensitize people, with visions of carnage in the feed just another thing to look at and be entertained by quickly before more scrolling. I guess the VR and AR stuff could definitely just end up exacerbating that, new and deeper levels of desensitization, but I hope not.

On 2/5/2024 at 8:41 AM, Alcofribas said:

siri, jack penis

This sounds like the second part of an introduction.

Jack, meet Siri.

Siri, jack penis.

On 2/5/2024 at 6:47 AM, Alcofribas said:

is the penis experiencing the virtual pleasure or are the goggles experiencing the actual pleasure and when does the docking happen?

7 hours ago, chenGOD said:

This sounds like the second part of an introduction.

Jack, meet Siri.

Siri, jack penis.

is the penis experiencing the virtual pleasure or are the goggles experiencing the actual pleasure and when does the docking happen?

The user experiences the pleasure of using the goggles 

On 2/4/2024 at 12:28 PM, MaartenVC said:

I want to be excited about new tech... but it seems so very dystopian to me.

It almost activates a primal fear in me. Weird. Can't really explain it.

Maybe this tech really is inevitable. In that case we better get used to it.

Maybe a bit too distracting to use this in public? But then again, so were smartphones.

Or will this tech stay more confined to work and home-entertainment, and these are just early adopters testing the waters?

Anyone here has this, and willing to share their experiences?