IGNORED

Social Media's Effects On Our Minds & Lives

autopilot

1 hour ago, o00o said:

Nice article about reasons behind the collapse of Reddit and Twitter and where to go from there:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/3/23782607/social-web-public-apps-end-reddit-twitter-mastodon

another article claiming twitter is dying / doomed to die soon, haven't we been seeing these for over 8 months at this point? but it still seems to be running fine...

It's like the people writing these articles think that if they just believe in it enough it'll actually happen, not the brightest bunch.

Edited by vkxwz
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, o00o said:

Nice article about reasons behind the collapse of Reddit and Twitter and where to go from there:

https://www.theverge.com/2023/7/3/23782607/social-web-public-apps-end-reddit-twitter-mastodon

Reddit is completely broken, even after the latest purge.

On 6/24/2023 at 3:50 PM, milkface said:

Yeah completely agreed - even in the video he mentions how back in the day social media was much less personal than it is now where popular users have become personalities. I guess the internet has created so many different small corners that many things are slightly famous rather than few things being extremely famous. For that reason I don't believe any artists can be bigger than Michael Jackson because peoples' attentions are so divided.

10 years ago being “internet famous” was a punchline, now they’re just famous.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, vkxwz said:

another article claiming twitter is dying / doomed to die soon, haven't we been seeing these for over 8 months at this point? but it still seems to be running fine...

It's like the people writing these articles think that if they just believe in it enough it'll actually happen, not the brightest bunch.

As for twitter people seem to be flocking to an app called Bluesky. Demand seems high but it's invite only right now but I'm seeing loads of people begging for invites.

• Big Brain 1

zuck says:

• "The world needs a friendly public space for conversation. If we do this well, then Threads can be that space. We're going to stay focused on that as our north star.

how long will this last?

On 7/4/2023 at 8:32 AM, vkxwz said:

Facebook is running as well but both are broken beyond repair. Sure they will not go offline soon but an exodus is still happening 

On 7/4/2023 at 7:32 AM, vkxwz said:

I dont use twitter and haven't been paying that much attention, and also wasn't arsed to read the article, but isn't it fucked? Links broken, can no longer see anything without account, apparently all accounts including new paid ones being throttled to fuck etc. Last time I followed a link to it to view in browser (when that still worked) it loaded up in hindi and chrome had to translate all the (english) tweets to english...

• Burger 1

27 minutes ago, exitonly said:

this is why i just stick with watmm. watmm will never go out of style….

….because watmm was never in style 

I've done did a lot of shit just to live this here lifestyle ?

• Big Brain 2

2 hours ago, exitonly said:

this is why i just stick with watmm. watmm will never go out of style….

seriously tho...there is something to be said for an online community of mostly anonymous people, who for some reason feel the need to return to this site to post whatever is on their mind... it's some psychological outlet for a side of ourselves, which can't be expressed out there in the wild. THAT imo is what separates the social media stuff having faces/names right there easily identifying who you are vs. what a forum like watmm is. like on forums, you can still easily separate your avatar/username self from who you are IRL. whereas on FB/twitter/and the like, your IRL self gets dragged into the stupid ass internet la-la land, which can have actual repercussions back IRL (I'm thinking of people who make dumbass social media political posts, then get fired from their jobs IRL). that shit is way too intertwined, and psychologically will fuck someone's mental state up way too much... which imo, is another factor in leading the charge in the degradation of society. we weren't mentally built to handle this shit. stop! but we can't. addicted to information...so c'est la vie. let it roll. yadda yadda..

• Like 4

Twidder is trash, and I haven't touched in over a year. And now Elongated Musk Ox is single-handedly killing the platform.

Read-It is only viable for memes. Still full of idiotic shit-monkeys and edgy teens, but there's still the occasional quality comment by a distinguished scholar.

I stopped using Instant Graham Crackers nearly three years ago, so idk.

Facetracking Book 'Em is the reason I was able to reunite with old high school classmates last weekend after 20 years, so I guess I owe a bit of gratitude for that. Otherwise it's boring af and a reminder that most of the friends I've made in life I've pretty much ceased communication with.

And MySpace...Tom, mah bruddah...we have abandoned thee. You were the one true paragon of collective sanity on this realm bestowed upon us by Tim Berners-Lee we refer to as the Innernet.

13 hours ago, Amen Warrior said:

I dont use twitter and haven't been paying that much attention, and also wasn't arsed to read the article, but isn't it fucked? Links broken, can no longer see anything without account, apparently all accounts including new paid ones being throttled to fuck etc. Last time I followed a link to it to view in browser (when that still worked) it loaded up in hindi and chrome had to translate all the (english) tweets to english...

I've never had any of those issues. I am logged into an account when I use it though. That said though, I've never actually posted and I'm only really in a smaller niche part of the platform so there are probably issues that do exist that I never come across.

14 hours ago, Amen Warrior said:

Embeds don’t work anymore, but the view limit isn’t all bad, it forces you to go outside!

7 hours ago, zero said:

seriously tho...there is something to be said for an online community of mostly anonymous people, who for some reason feel the need to return to this site to post whatever is on their mind... it's some psychological outlet for a side of ourselves, which can't be expressed out there in the wild. THAT imo is what separates the social media stuff having faces/names right there easily identifying who you are vs. what a forum like watmm is. like on forums, you can still easily separate your avatar/username self from who you are IRL. whereas on FB/twitter/and the like, your IRL self gets dragged into the stupid ass internet la-la land, which can have actual repercussions back IRL (I'm thinking of people who make dumbass social media political posts, then get fired from their jobs IRL). that shit is way too intertwined, and psychologically will fuck someone's mental state up way too much... which imo, is another factor in leading the charge in the degradation of society. we weren't mentally built to handle this shit. stop! but we can't. addicted to information...so c'est la vie. let it roll. yadda yadda..

I am just banned everywhere else

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ambermonk said:

And MySpace...Tom, mah bruddah...we have abandoned thee. You were the one true paragon of collective sanity on this realm bestowed upon us by Tim Berners-Lee we refer to as the Innernet.

don't forget about Friendster! that was the first one I used where I posted a face pic of myself. I remember when myspace overtook it, I was angry, and held steadfast with friendster. then it became obv that friendster was turning into a dumpster fire, and that was the end of my social media life. it was around this era when I found out about the quackery going on over at watmm.com, and lo and behold here we are.

• Like 2