IGNORED

Social Media's Effects On Our Minds & Lives

autopilot

this went down like a ton of bricks both for tiktoi boi and wrinkled ancients grilling him.

Edited by usagi

• 3 weeks later...

Weeks before the 2021 murder of an Ethiopian professor, his son and one of Facebook's trusted partners say they warned Facebook about hateful posts threatening his life. In the wake of his murder, six Ethiopian partners tell Insider that Facebook routinely ignored their pleas to take down hateful content. 

https://www.businessinsider.com/facebooks-local-partners-say-hate-speech-stays-on-the-platform-2023-4

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, ignatius said:

interesting benn jordan video about influencers, meme accounts, marketing scumbags. 

i enjoyed it, was interesting to me getting to see the range of types of offers he gets, and the pricing as well…the unsurprising scumminess was made surprising in the breadth of those ‘marketing’ companies and the side businesses. very much a good watch imo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, auxien said:

i enjoyed it, was interesting to me getting to see the range of types of offers he gets, and the pricing as well…the unsurprising scumminess was made surprising in the breadth of those ‘marketing’ companies and the side businesses. very much a good watch imo.

the outright scamming going on via marketing meme accounts using youtube accounts they created to pressure creators into signing a shitty contract is just some super scumbag shit happening. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, vkxwz said:

Great video, I think what she's saying is spot on and it's definitely amplified by social media

If you liked that one he has another good one about social media. His instagram is @ ben_ditto and if you need context about the type of memes they talk about.

That "presentist"'s hair is on point. Literally.

And then he said that seeing a meme is the equivalent to reading a Ph.D. (by which I presume he means reading a doctoral dissertation) -  that's fucking stupid. The context and nuance that gets to the crystalized point (as expressed in the meme) is fucking half the importance - you can read/see the point but if you don't understand how the author got to that point you haven't really learned anything - you're just regurgitating something you read without any actual understanding.

I'll try and struggle through but so far, all signs point to:

Spoiler

Christ then the host starts talking about chasing clout....

Spoiler

Jesus - the aesthetic of war - it's brutal, harsh, and ugly. And no one who doesn't have clearance is doing signals intelligence, christ on a stick. Stopped watching there.

• Like 1

On 6/12/2023 at 9:18 AM, iococoi said:

The whole reddit shitshow is both entertaining and sad to witness. I have been extensively using a 3rd-party app (Reddit Sync) for the past 7 years, and this is what made the website enjoyable to me. I love how the users are fighting against the CEO, in a very reddit-y way, ironically (the blackout was a thing, but recently moderators of /r/InterestingAsFuck enabled posting NSFW content which is a great blow dealt to reddit's frontpage).

This made me delve deeper into the Fediverse, I am currently testing Kbin as a reddit alternative and it works well. The size of the community and overall kindness make it a very pleasant place. Quitting Reddit also led me to rediscover what I loved about WATMM - the only place on the Internet that really never disappointed me and will forever hold a special place in my heart :beer:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, chenGOD said:

That "presentist"'s hair is on point. Literally.

And then he said that seeing a meme is the equivalent to reading a Ph.D. (by which I presume he means reading a doctoral dissertation) -  that's fucking stupid. The context and nuance that gets to the crystalized point (as expressed in the meme) is fucking half the importance - you can read/see the point but if you don't understand how the author got to that point you haven't really learned anything - you're just regurgitating something you read without any actual understanding.

I'll try and struggle through but so far, all signs point to:

Reveal hidden contents

Christ then the host starts talking about chasing clout....

Reveal hidden contents

Jesus - the aesthetic of war - it's brutal, harsh, and ugly. And no one who doesn't have clearance is doing signals intelligence, christ on a stick. Stopped watching there.

Did you look at Ditto's instagram account? I think you've missed the point of the video on the first two things you said.

1 hour ago, Stock said:

The whole reddit shitshow is both entertaining and sad to witness. I have been extensively using a 3rd-party app (Reddit Sync) for the past 7 years, and this is what made the website enjoyable to me. I love how the users are fighting against the CEO, in a very reddit-y way, ironically (the blackout was a thing, but recently moderators of /r/InterestingAsFuck enabled posting NSFW content which is a great blow dealt to reddit's frontpage).

uld533nww07b1.jpg?width=792&auto=webp&v=

kj57o3b.png

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, milkface said:

Did you look at Ditto's instagram account? I think you've missed the point of the video on the first two things you said.

I don't see anything on his IG that counters what I wrote.

@milkface apologies if anything I said came off as aggressive - if it did it certainly wasn't directed at you.

Maybe the guy who runs that channel has done something more interesting that explores ideas more in depth? He seems like a bright guy, but like I said - all that analysis is very surface level (maybe that's just the point I'm missing?).

I'd like to link to this interview (text only - so old school) with Benedict Anderson (am incredible political scientist/sociologist who wrote one of the most amazing books ever called Imagined Communities - which is about nationalism as a constructed state, but has connotations far beyond the nation-state as well in my opinion). This was done in 1996 - but it's amazing how much of what he is saying then is still relevant to the world today. https://www.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-9711/msg00019.html

On 6/21/2023 at 1:20 AM, chenGOD said:

@milkface apologies if anything I said came off as aggressive - if it did it certainly wasn't directed at you.

Maybe the guy who runs that channel has done something more interesting that explores ideas more in depth? He seems like a bright guy, but like I said - all that analysis is very surface level (maybe that's just the point I'm missing?).

I'd like to link to this interview (text only - so old school) with Benedict Anderson (am incredible political scientist/sociologist who wrote one of the most amazing books ever called Imagined Communities - which is about nationalism as a constructed state, but has connotations far beyond the nation-state as well in my opinion). This was done in 1996 - but it's amazing how much of what he is saying then is still relevant to the world today. https://www.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-9711/msg00019.html

No it wasn't aggressive at all I just figured that the video was aimed at a slightly younger audience who never logs off of instagram as memes have changed so much since the various eras of memes that differ from each other greatly (2007/2012/2016). The video is hard to relate to without a strangely obscure and obsessive knowledge of the network of semi-niche instagram accounts that post a weird sort of dystopian content. The speaker exaggerates a lot obviously but with that in mind the video makes more sense than if the memes in question were the 'can i haz cheeseburger' type memes lol

Also I'll check out that interview

• Like 1

On 6/20/2023 at 7:02 AM, Stock said:

The whole reddit shitshow is both entertaining and sad to witness.

what's the endgame of this? I haven't really been following it since I managed to finally quit a while ago. I've despised that place (and particularly its college-age userbase) for over a decade at this point and yet it took forever to leach out the obsessive brain-chemical urge to browse it every day.

2 hours ago, usagi said:

what's the endgame of this? I haven't really been following it since I managed to finally quit a while ago. I've despised that place (and particularly its college-age userbase) for over a decade at this point and yet it took forever to leach out the obsessive brain-chemical urge to browse it every day.

It keeps on delivering. Apparently a big subreddit (/r/worldnews iirc) promoted everybody to moderation team.

In the meantime, some reddit 3rd party apps are moving to Lemmy (i.e., Fediverse Reddit). Lemmy and Kbin (another Fediverse alternative) are on the verge of hitting 1 million subscribers.

Conclusion: don't consider your userbase idiots.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stock said:

It keeps on delivering. Apparently a big subreddit (/r/worldnews iirc) promoted everybody to moderation team.

In the meantime, some reddit 3rd party apps are moving to Lemmy (i.e., Fediverse Reddit). Lemmy and Kbin (another Fediverse alternative) are on the verge of hitting 1 million subscribers.

Conclusion: don't consider your userbase idiots.

with the amount of traction reddit has I doubt this will change anything in the long run. I'd like to be wrong but it seems too intertwined in people's short term happy hormone rituals to really give reddit the boot

4 hours ago, milkface said:

No it wasn't aggressive at all I just figured that the video was aimed at a slightly younger audience who never logs off of instagram as memes have changed so much since the various eras of memes that differ from each other greatly (2007/2012/2016). The video is hard to relate to without a strangely obscure and obsessive knowledge of the network of semi-niche instagram accounts that post a weird sort of dystopian content. The speaker exaggerates a lot obviously but with that in mind the video makes more sense than if the memes in question were the 'can i haz cheeseburger' type memes lol

Also I'll check out that interview

That adds a lot, thanks.  
I was reading this interview with Chuck Klosterman and he made this point about how like an insta account or tik-tok account can have millions of followers, but unless you follow them, you wouldn’t know about them. Very different from pre-social media where like for example, everybody knew Nirvana. Similar to your point about knowing those insta accounts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chronical said:

with the amount of traction reddit has I doubt this will change anything in the long run. I'd like to be wrong but it seems too intertwined in people's short term happy hormone rituals to really give reddit the boot

I fully agree. From what I understand the idea is to hurt their credibility before their IPO. The other thing is that their CEO seem to take things on a very personal level, and that doesn't help. The only certain thing is that Reddit will not be the same after this episode!

On 6/22/2023 at 3:38 PM, chenGOD said:

That adds a lot, thanks.  
I was reading this interview with Chuck Klosterman and he made this point about how like an insta account or tik-tok account can have millions of followers, but unless you follow them, you wouldn’t know about them. Very different from pre-social media where like for example, everybody knew Nirvana. Similar to your point about knowing those insta accounts.

Yeah completely agreed - even in the video he mentions how back in the day social media was much less personal than it is now where popular users have become personalities. I guess the internet has created so many different small corners that many things are slightly famous rather than few things being extremely famous. For that reason I don't believe any artists can be bigger than Michael Jackson because peoples' attentions are so divided.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...