IGNORED

Social Media's Effects On Our Minds & Lives

autopilot

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, logboy said:

malicious communications, probably.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1988/27/section/1

seems a bit much. i get it.. but showing up at some old guy's house to arrest him.. ugh. why not some kind of warning visit or a letter.. unless he said he was going to blow up big ben or rub one out in front of little kiddos maybe use cop time more wisely? but i suspect it's more about changing overall behavior than punishing individuals who are being "rude" on line. or whatever the fuck.

cops here do a halfassed job so often and seem to have no idea how to interact with people w/o shooting them.. sending them out on calls like this would be a disaster. 

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/instagram-remains-blocked-turkey-erdogan-accuses-social-media-112578755

ANKARA, Turkey -- Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan accused social media platforms of “digital fascism” on Monday for allegedly censoring photographs of Palestinian “martyrs.”

The Turkish leader’s comments came as Turkish officials were engaged in discussions with representatives of the social media platform, Instagram, to reinstate access to millions of its users in Turkey.

12 minutes ago, o00o said:

Is there a platform besides watmm and TikTok where I can completely avoid the election?

supposedly Threads has like a soft ban or something on political content? not used it tho

33 minutes ago, o00o said:

Is there a platform besides watmm and TikTok where I can completely avoid the election?

Literally just don't pay attention to it. But if you want a more precise way:

- Are.na

- Archive.org

- Kagi Search

- Non-/pol/ related boards in 4chan.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, geosmina said:

Literally just don't pay attention to it. But if you want a more precise way:

- Are.na

- Archive.org

- Kagi Search

- Non-/pol/ related boards in 4chan.

hn.premii.com is also pretty election free

reddit got so election bot infected its nearly unusable now. Most of the comments are just spammed into seeded topics. You can sometimes see one conversation branch where helpless users wonder what’s going on while the rest is just incoherent spambots creating dozens of branches. It’s wild 

Edited by o00o
  • Big Brain 1

48 minutes ago, o00o said:

hn.premii.com is also pretty election free

reddit got so election bot infected its nearly unusable now. Most of the comments are just spammed into seeded topics. You can sometimes see one conversation branch where helpless users wonder what’s going on while the rest is just incoherent spambots creating dozens of branches. It’s wild 

yeah honestly I believe the whole internet has become absolute shit. Instead I have been mostly offline reading books and stuff... 

• Like 3

i've had facebook since 2008, and always hated it. however, it's useful.

however ... i've lost my code generator for 2FA, and i'm locked out of it now.

anyone know any currently-viable tricks for retrieval?

submitting ID documentation reliably fails, 99% of the time.

only one that got a response seems to have been my UK voter ID, which it said had too much blank space. not my fault, that design.

Well, I think we hammered home in 30 pages the theme of "social media as cancer" but I have to come in with a plus. First, I have to confess my sins: I get hooked af on Instagram reels. It's a terrifyingly accurate web of exactly what I find entertaining. The fidelity is so high that it seems nearly clairvoyant/telepathic. Anyway, subtracting WATMM, it has been the biggest source of my music purchases in the past year or so. I got fed some silly reel of these trashy chicks in Florida or the like balancing water bottles with their feet and tits. A phone was playing music that made me hold up before swiping so I used Shazam while the reel was playing to find this:

I mean: the color scheme, the "God Fodder" font/design lift, the Cure-Slowdive-MBV slurry, I felt like a teenager again all weekend after I bought the album on Bandcamp. It made me notice that most of my purchases have been driven by either what's dubbed over the reel or by Shazaming what is playing in the reel itself. If anyone's interested, I posted my personal "hits" in the spoiler. So...I guess if it's brainrot season, the choons are at least bangin' 🤪

Spoiler

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

My Facebook timeline has gotten even better. Now it's fake movie news with AI generated photos from fake movies and sometimes AI generated photos from older films such as Salma Hayek in From Dusk Till Dawn where the panties make no sense in that AI-sorta-way. These posts have tens of thousands of likes. This is extremely cool.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Squee said:

My Facebook timeline has gotten even better. Now it's fake movie news with AI generated photos from fake movies and sometimes AI generated photos from older films such as Salma Hayek in From Dusk Till Dawn where the panties make no sense in that AI-sorta-way. These posts have tens of thousands of likes. This is extremely cool.

It’s just all fake groups and Ads now. Plus they disabled the ability to forward a photo URL via email, stupid.

Today just got a bit more exciting. Facebook has decided to show me nothing but World Trade Center stuff.
image.png

image.png

image.png

This is pretty good as well

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Squee said:

image.png

Ed Christenson remembers the good old days.

Too bad he can’t remember how to spells Kreme. 

also your Facebook feed is wild. Is there some setting to turn on to get the craziness?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Too bad he can’t remember how to spells Kreme. 

also your Facebook feed is wild. Is there some setting to turn on to get the craziness?

What you do is that you mute everyone on Facebook, which then prompts Facebook to show you updates from random groups. Over the next couple of years you tell Facebook that you have no interest in the stuff it shows you and then a couple of years later you end up with the most amazing junk.

image.png

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Crazing said:

I just got on Instagram and really don't see the point other than having my family on there to share pics with 

The random time line thing is horrible

you can make a group on google images that's private/invite only and share pics w/your family and also allow downloads etc... and other people can upload to the same photo pool