IGNORED

Hangable Auto Bulb 2 - 20th Anniversary

JS20

Every Day is a god damn phenomenal tune, my favourite of the whole HAB bunch. I'm working on the MIDI for the majority of the song, should be done soon.

ps. Please give us HAB3-4 soon Rich, I'm craving those Cutting beats/melodies.

Probably everyone knows this but:

Hangable Auto Bulb = anagram of 'analogu bubbleath' which is very nearly analogue bubblebath

Laughable Butane Bob = anagram of 'analogue bubblebath'

This came out in the days before the upcoming release of everything was known on the internet. And music wasnt being sold online in any great quantity. You used to have to go to actual record shops and rummage through the shelves to see if anything new had appeared. Or you could go and ask the guy behind the counter if he knew when the new whatever was coming out. Sometimes they knew.

I used to go to Selectadisc and SisterRay on Berwick St and look through the 'Aphex/Reflex records' section. One day I found a new one by Aphex! Hangable auto Bulb for £20, had never heard of it. That was expensive for a vinyl but I just had to get it. Some time later found HAB2, for £25 I think. Both mindblowing on the first listen.

(This may sound nostalgic but I think its much better now - there loads of quality music everywhere and its much easier to find good stuff and not waste money on stuff you dont like.)

edit: spelling! thanks modey

One day I found a new one by Aphex! Hangable auto Bulb for £20, had never heard of it. That was expensive for a vinyl but I just had to get it. Some time later found HAB2, for £25 I think. Both mindblowing on the first listen.

Well you can thank your past self because that's a great money investment he did there ! :beer:

Would love a vinyl repress of those but it doesn't seem likely to happen doesn't it ?

I used to go to Selectadisc and SisterRay on Berwick St and look through the 'Aphex/Reflex records' section. One day I found a new one by Aphex! Hangable auto Bulb for £20, had never heard of it. That was expensive for a vinyl but I just had to get it. Some time later found HAB2, for £25 I think. Both mindblowing on the first listen.

Used to fucking love Selectadisc back in the day, wasn't the same when Sister Ray took it over.

I had one copy of first HAB that I bought in my first mail order ever from Modern Music in Baltimore, and then later I found 5 sealed copies of HAB at Albums Up on Bolder Colorado and ordered all of them! So I had like 6 of them at one point that I traded off for different things over the years. HAB 2 I got from some guy in Canada. I offered him $40 for it and he sent it right out. This was probably all between 96-99. Good times.

Hangable Auto Bulb = anagram of 'analogu bubbleath' which is very nearly analogue bubblebath

This came out in the days before the upcoming release of everything was known on the internet. And music wasnt being sold online in any great quantity. You used to have to go to actual record shops and rummage through the shelves to see if anything new had appeared. Or you could go and ask the guy behind the counter if he knew when the new whatever was coming out. Sometimes they knew.

(This may sound nostalgic but I think its much better now - there loads of quality music everywhere and its much easier to find good stuff and not waste money on stuff you dont like.)

Heh I remember rifling through the sister ray racks and agonising over that £20 copy of HAB they had there. Was always a bit pricey for me.

Still, picked up most of the early Skam releases for a fiver a piece so can't complain.

Used to fucking love Selectadisc back in the day, wasn't the same when Sister Ray took it over.

With you on that Hello Spiral. It was a fantastic shop indeed. I was a bit bamboozled when I wandered down Berwick Street and everything was arse about face. I walked and I remember just feeling a little deflated. It just wasn't the same. Not that I'm a connoisseur of record shops, but just saying.

sisterray used to advertise in the NME, of course. it was the first page to look at each week when i picked it up as it was the most reliable source for finding out what stuff had been released or was due soon. i remember phoning them to ask about getting a copy on the week of release, and the guy in the shop said they'd had a considerable slice of the run supplied (into three figures, apparently) to them and they'd pretty much sold out straight away. the £20 copies would have been from a small number held back or restocked slightly later.

you could have had it for £5 or so, if i remember correctly - they'd have burnt their bridges with suppliers and customers pretty quickly if they'd been doing nothing but pricing it highly. lots of the more unusual rephlex stuff could be had there for years without much interest - GAK (on CD or vinyl) was there for several years, easily, if not more ... then it became suddenly quite hard to find.

i got two copies of each HAB vinyl at the time of release, from a supplier i'd not used before (also advertising in the NME) and eventually sold mine around 5 years or so after release, when it had already gathered some value.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived