IGNORED

Favourite YouTube Videos

Joyrex

So, I recall the resurgence of the 1970s from '89-'95 but could anybody help me confirm if it was ever this direct? Everything about this video and song is a 100% direct lift from things like the Fly Girls from In Living Color, production in the vein of Cathy Dennis/Crystal Waters/etc. and wardrobe taken from what appears to have just been 20 year old backlot storage at a studio in LA. Granted, I love it for those reasons stated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESXgJ9-H-2U

Looooove this sound! I went on The Hype Machine to listen to some remixes and there are some great ones. early '90s house pop updated for the banger/r&b age :music:

So, I recall the resurgence of the 1970s from '89-'95 but could anybody help me confirm if it was ever this direct? Everything about this video and song is a 100% direct lift from things like the Fly Girls from In Living Color, production in the vein of Cathy Dennis/Crystal Waters/etc. and wardrobe taken from what appears to have just been 20 year old backlot storage at a studio in LA. Granted, I love it for those reasons stated.

Yah, this video is pretty good (in general for aesthetics! but some framing flaws with the one take and feet buuut...). Captures a subtle aspect of late-80's/early-90's-- average looking people and dryness (leftover from 80's). I've written some 80's era film shit, and every face is greasy, and all hair is dry or wet- cuz for some reason everything was like that.

As for 70's influence...- sparkly shit and bell bottoms were still coming back until like 2000. And a lot of the "diva" type images of the late 90's were influenced by disco aesthetic.

i saw a news report on it earlier this year. there's a clear house music revival going on, primarily in london, that relates to a relatively easy connection to 90's culture - in that house was dominant chart music at the time, when these people were very young children, and their parents were the party-goers travelling to ibiza at the time (the economy and need for a good time also factors in) - this, plus there's little that's come along that's defined the first decade of the 00's as particularly different to the previous one.

another good example, 'disclosure' >

very 90's, to me.

Edited by logboy