IGNORED

Rogue One: A Star Wars Story <Spoilers>

Rubin Farr

IMO, having 3PO and R2 on Yavin-4 made little sense, they were assigned to the Tantive IV by Bail Organa under the command of Captain Antilles, so there was little reason for them to disembark for some ground assignment.  Droids were assigned to ships like accessories, i.e. R2 came from Padme's Royal Starship and was then welcomed into the group of adventurers.  Since 3PO had his mind wiped at the end of EPIII, he was just another generic protocol droid, with what seemed like vague realizations he was working for the Rebel Alliance.  After they hooked up with Luke and Obi-Wan, it was a different story, but before that it seems like too much of a fan service cameo just to cram them into this film.

kind of a convoluted way of pointing out fan service innit

• Replies 419
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, having 3PO and R2 on Yavin-4 made little sense, they were assigned to the Tantive IV by Bail Organa under the command of Captain Antilles, so there was little reason for them to disembark for some ground assignment.  Droids were assigned to ships like accessories, i.e. R2 came from Padme's Royal Starship and was then welcomed into the group of adventurers.  Since 3PO had his mind wiped at the end of EPIII, he was just another generic protocol droid, with what seemed like vague realizations he was working for the Rebel Alliance.  After they hooked up with Luke and Obi-Wan, it was a different story, but before that it seems like too much of a fan service cameo just to cram them into this film.

kind of a convoluted way of pointing out fan service innit

well without getting "only REAL fans would get this" it would probably make sense to appeal to super-nerds whilst somehow "relating" to the audience with recognisable characters

but yeah god what an awkward cut, no reason for that scene to be there other than "Look! Star Wars!"

Here's the biggest "plot hole" in the entirety of Star Wars...

R2-D2 has seen it all - he's been there since the beginning, and has never had his memory wiped, etc. - so why hasn't he told EVERYBODY about what he's seen and experienced?

He knew who Darth Vader was - why not tell C-3P0 to tell Luke when Ben Kenobi was giving that bullshit story about how Darth Vader killed his father?

Probably loads more I can't be arsed to remember, but really - either R2 is a massive troll who wants to watch the world burn, or he's incapable of that kind of thing (unlikely).

Also, one thing that always bugged me - I get that droids can understand astromech droid vocalizations (aka R2's beeps and boops), but how in the hell could Luke, or any other humanoid? They talk with R2 like C-3P0 does.

Add to this that while docked in an X-Wing, R2's speech shows up as text on a monitor for Luke to read.

Yeah, I know, it's one of those "don't think too much about it" kind of things, but still...

this clearly needs an explainer spinoff.

R2 ORIGINS

Where we see how people take droid blerp language classes in high school

where we see why R2 doesn't tell the others (HINT: it's emotional)

Here's the biggest "plot hole" in the entirety of Star Wars...

R2-D2 has seen it all - he's been there since the beginning, and has never had his memory wiped, etc. - so why hasn't he told EVERYBODY about what he's seen and experienced?

He knew who Darth Vader was - why not tell C-3P0 to tell Luke when Ben Kenobi was giving that bullshit story about how Darth Vader killed his father?

Probably loads more I can't be arsed to remember, but really - either R2 is a massive troll who wants to watch the world burn, or he's incapable of that kind of thing (unlikely)...

First Darth Jar Jar, now R2 'let the motherfuckers burn' D2

Fuck.

Perhaps R2D2 can't actually speak, perhaps people just hear what they want to hear...

'Beep beep boop beep'

I agree R2 Obi-Wan hasn't aged well.

'Beep beep boop beep'

Well I'm glad you asked R2, if I had to choose then I guess 'little German boy sitting in apple tree' is my all time favourite Humble figurine.

The mid season premiere of Rebels explained what happened to the Geonosians and why they're never mentioned in Rogue One (since they designed the Death Star) or the original trilogy. The Empire used poison gas to sterilize the entire planet and wipe out their race in a genocide, to cover their tracks from the Senate. One or possibly a few bugs survived underground, protecting the last queen egg for repopulation.

Now you come to mention it, I've seen it twice and I couldn't tell you any of the characters names :/

I believe the girl was called Elsa Quinn?

Donnie Yen reprised his role as Ip Man.

The mid season premiere of Rebels explained what happened to the Geonosians and why they're never mentioned in Rogue One (since they designed the Death Star) or the original trilogy. The Empire used poison gas to sterilize the entire planet and wipe out their race in a genocide, to cover their tracks from the Senate. One or possibly a few bugs survived underground, protecting the last queen egg for repopulation.

Geonosicide? :dadjoke:

twas ok I guess.

There was a longish scene from upcoming Nolan film "Dunkirk" running during trailer time which was far more exciting than the entire Star Wars movie tbqh

Oh, you gotta do better than that, phling! Waiting for OPINION.

ok... I dunno if that Dunkirk scene is available online. So it's a WW2 movie with ships and fighter planes, Spitfire type I believe. That extended scene was actually cross cutting between 3 scenes: aerial combat, some soldiers waiting in a queue to get on a ship, and some other people on some docks. It was really fucking intense! Almost nothing really happened, but the shots, editing and sound was A+ perfect, it had suspense rising and rising and then BAM, over. My heart was racing and I would like to see that movie!

The aerial stuff especially was really good. I think it was not CGI, they just strapped expensive cameras on these planes. So you saw the face of a pilot while he was doing a maneuver and it was a bit blurry from the plane's vibrations. Detail! Again, very intense. Just planes chasing each other and making you feel very close to that. Kind of like the car chase scene in Bullit?

Just posting this because that Star Wars is a war drama too. but it was kinda not easy to stay entertained, the battle scenes were satisfying but looked like plastic. Which is ok, but not great.

just got back from seeing this in 3D. thought it was ok yeah, but just ok...not as good as force awakens. didn't think the 3D added anything, would say not to bother with it if you're thinking of going... as many have already said, the first two thirds of the film are quite slow and a little boring, final act is great though. cool to see vader lightsabering people, should have been maybe a bit more of that imo. so yeah overall a bit lacking in action and emotion but decent end battle.

I thought this was good, but seriously lacking decent banter and interesting characters.

Archived