IGNORED

Massive Successes From Artists you Hate

maxd98

was going to reply but I can't recall any massive seccesses from the flahbulb

I thought I liked a song of his at first but it was probably just the accompanying youtube video/youtube audio quality made it seem warm or something

I'll start.

MONO - Hymn to the Immortal Wind

MONO seem to be doing the same thing over and over again, but HIW is solid gold, especially the first track.

Mono do generic build-build-build-crescendo post-rock but they do it better than most. i saw them at a festival recently and they were one of the best bands i saw, they really surprised me. all that building feedback is just fantastic live.

lol at idea of thread

The Oasis bros imho have generally been pretentious purveyors of wank save for some of their early stuff - this was a live cover of I am the Walrus from a show in 1994... and I hate to admit that it destroys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_urcKouwmz0

Easy for me. RHCP. I hate them and their music (in that order) with a passion and have done since they ever appeared on my radar. But through gritted teeth I have to admit I like a few of their tracks made with John Frusciante.....

Drake is really successful but he's like that rich kid in high school that no one actually likes, but his parents mansion is great for parties so don't say what you really think about him or you won't be invited. My analogy for hiphop these days.

i generally find the popularity of tim hecker befuddling - at least here in the states. his lives in that bizarre zone - one "of those artists" that "music fans" namedrop as "really good, challenging ambient" while I find his music in fact quite rote and uninventive but not bad or offensive in any way. I was buying two or three supersilent releases once at a record store and then this hipper than thou asian dude behind me called out to either me or the cashier "yeah i'm trying to book *tim hecker* to come here" lol ok. 

His releases always get pretty serious online music journal fanfare but there have now been at least 4 or 5 albums since HiU (which was pleasant) that have done next to nothing for me. So why then, does your average american "concerned music listener" seem to know the name TIM HECKER even over similar artists like stars of the lid or your stable of Raster-Noton artists that consistently crank out far more interesting minutia-filled ambient music? How has he come to be selected from this group as "the namedropper" Is it because he is Canadian and so his support in the states is some sort of misguided North American camaraderie? 

i generally find the popularity of tim hecker befuddling - at least here in the states. his lives in that bizarre zone - one "of those artists" that "music fans" namedrop as "really good, challenging ambient" while I find his music in fact quite rote and uninventive but not bad or offensive in any way. I was buying two or three supersilent releases once at a record store and then this hipper than thou asian dude behind me called out to either me or the cashier "yeah i'm trying to book *tim hecker* to come here" lol ok.

His releases always get pretty serious online music journal fanfare but there have now been at least 4 or 5 albums since HiU (which was pleasant) that have done next to nothing for me. So why then, does your average american "concerned music listener" seem to know the name TIM HECKER even over similar artists like stars of the lid or your stable of Raster-Noton artists that consistently crank out far more interesting minutia-filled ambient music? How has he come to be selected from this group as "the namedropper" Is it because he is Canadian and so his support in the states is some sort of misguided North American camaraderie?

lol this is so spot-on. back in my bookseller days there was this couple from new york (they let me know they were from brooklyn pretty much right away) that used to come in and no matter what music i was playing the dude would invariably bring the discussion to tim hecker, who was his "favorite artist." once he told me he had graduated from art school and was trying to book tim hecker at the art school so he could perform for an "art audience."

i'm preparing my memoirs and am considering the title "booking tim hecker." perhaps i'll arrange the index such that the entry for "hecker, tim" will say "see lovesliescrushing."

way to contribute to the thread "i hate this artist oh and i hate everything they've ever done" flol

ANYWAY

are you really meeting anyone who knows who tim hecker is? i don't know a single person who has heard of him outside the internet and a couple of friends who are "into music" but those guys also are aware of stars of the lid and alva noto and whatever else. also, everything prior to and including harmony in ultraviolet is solid as fuck. radio amor is top ten of decade material. as his pr machine got better his music got shittier, ironically enough. now he's ambient famous and his music is terrible.

see sig for more info.

Flol at 'ambient famous'

lol this is so spot-on. back in my bookseller days there was this couple from new york (they let me know they were from brooklyn pretty much right away) that used to come in and no matter what music i was playing the dude would invariably bring the discussion to tim hecker, who was his "favorite artist." once he told me he had graduated from art school and was trying to book tim hecker at the art school so he could perform for an "art audience."

i'm preparing my memoirs and am considering the title "booking tim hecker." perhaps i'll arrange the index such that the entry for "hecker, tim" will say "see lovesliescrushing."

:catbed:

Drake is really successful but he's like that rich kid in high school that no one actually likes, but his parents mansion is great for parties so don't say what you really think about him or you won't be invited. My analogy for hiphop these days.

I don't hate the guy but I find his blandness coupled with certain friends of mine lauding his music, as well as all the bullshit meta commentary surrounding his fame, a baffling circlejerk to behold. 

Even as a Kanye apologist for many years I find him annoying of late (dull last album too). I can't be bothered to pay attention to any of it.

I was in a bookstore in Marfa, TX and some pretty ambient was playing in the background. Nothing I had to know right that second but I figured there was an off chance the were playing a local artist or someone who was doing a sound installation that week. Or I wondered if the guy working there was the same one who DJ'd a drone/ambient show on the small local NPR station. Small town after all. Anyway, so I asked while he was ringing me up at the register.

Turns out it was Tim Hecker

are you really meeting anyone who knows who tim hecker is?

yes thats what im saying - regardless of whether they have even heard his music or most of his music (which I sincerely doubt) they know the name tim hecker and almost immediately try and book him for whatever event they are hosting in the near future. alco's story confirms this.

I just two weeks ago met a real classic case study at a friend's party "no man i i i i actually find wilco's music... maybe too commercial. Califone - also from chicago.. now their production was really just messing with the paradigm." i shit you not. when i said i liked electronic music - "ah yeah tim hecker and basinksi... love disintegration loops"

I wish I could vomit on command. pfol

Archived