IGNORED

The Obligatory iPhone 7/Apple Watch "Series 2" Thread

Joyrex

the google keyboard for ios has allowed you to search gifs and shit for a while. i really hate the new texting app updates. i accidentally texted my wife's boss the kiss mouth because it doesn't let you preview shit it just sends it. none of that shit even seems to work right.

i swear it was an accident

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

all the wonky things in iOS 10 have been wonky since beta 1. I tried to report many issues, but the feedback reporter app is so buggy, it simply gets stuck when trying to send feedback. So probably apple thinks iOS 10 works just fine because they receive no bug reports at all but there's a lot of little nuggets of crap which they haven't fixed in the last 3 months.

i have a g5 from like a dozen years ago. it runs on osx 10.4.11. works perfectly for music-making. however, it pretty much doesn't work on the internet and my phone no longer even connects. 10.4.11 is the highest OS it will go up to bc after that my hardware is no longer compatible with newer osx versions. this is something of a saving grace imo.

i have an iphone 5. i've never updated the os it came with and always delete them from my device as soon as i get the notification that they're available (bc, yeah, apple just shoves a 1gb update into your phone without asking. also works fine and i've had it longer than any of my other iphones.

every other iphone or macbook i've had i've updated to keep up with the freshest os and without fail the machines became progressively more useless. 

fuck that shit.

i am making it a point to not update my phone like i do now once i get my next one. There is no question at all that their last update is deteriorating my phones performance just in time for the new one. no question at all.

Do you honestly believe that Apple is purposely coding their OS to run poorly on older hardware, and you are the only person who has discovered this? If that were true, there would be a class-action lawsuit by now.

The reason the latest OS update causes your phone to run poorly could be a multitude of reasons (caches are being rebuilt, a third-party app hasn't been optimized for the new OS, etc.), but most likely is the OS is geared to take advantage of more powerful hardware, just like any OS or any software for that matter is designed to do. Apple does ensure the software runs in an acceptable manner on older devices (to an extent), but the reality is if there is newer hardware, the OS is going to be optimized to use that newer hardware first and foremost, and older hardware second by making concessions in performance.

There are ways to roll your phone back to the stock OS it came with, and leave it at the state it was created for that hardware, but you will eventually run into apps that will only run on the newer OS, and of course the newer hardware.

It would be like trying to run Windows 10 on hardware designed for Windows XP - it will probably run, but you are not going to get the same performance.

the google keyboard for ios has allowed you to search gifs and shit for a while. i really hate the new texting app updates. i accidentally texted my wife's boss the kiss mouth because it doesn't let you preview shit it just sends it. none of that shit even seems to work right.

i swear it was an accident

Yeah, I used GBoard when it came out, but now that's built into the OS, there's no need for GBoard, although I noticed you cannot change Messages default search engine from Bing (last I looked), despite setting the default search engine in Safari.

Apple often has class action lawsuits against them so I definitely wouldn't put it past them.

I seem to recall iTunes deleting a ton of my music that wasn't purchased via iTunes and the developers being aware and not saying anything, starting a class action lawsuit?

Them poorly coding OS to force people into upgrades ala the economics of planned obsolescence isn't even a far fetched idea. It is more than likely. 

What problems are you having?

off the top of my head:

- rotation bugs, such as iPad being stuck in portrait mode, or the software keyboard being the wrong rotation, needing reboot to return to normal.

- text selection & copy/paste is pretty bad right now in Safari (such as in watmm post text fields).

- Safari sometimes not showing fav sites & history.

- lock screen widgets slow/hanging/jerky, some of them dysfunctional (talking 1st party apple widgets)

- don't get me started on the music app

yeh I like the style of the music app, it looks neat on the iPad...

but it's the little things. E.g. it doesn't respect custom name sorting for albums, so I cannot sort the AE_LIVE albums chronologically. Had a custom sorting made in iTunes for Mac, and iOS 9 totally applies that sorting. Not on iOS 10 anymore. Have to look at AE_LIVE alphabetically, LIKE AN ANIMAL.

How likely is it that this will be fixed? Looking at the app, I'd say not very high. It's also quite choppy scrolling through the album grid. And somehow the navigation is still kinda off.

It's kind of ridiculous that this rotation stuff still happens imo, one would think they would sit down an engineer for an hour or a day and have this fixed for good.

How big is your interval, guys, before changing a phone again?

Every two years thanks to Apple

What does it mean "thanks to Apple"? I don't understand.

Apple has carefully crafted the culture around smartphones to introduce year-over-year upgrades - I myself only upgrade every non-S model year, although I might pass on the 7 in lieu of next year's model.

Before the iPhone, people hung onto their mobiles for way longer.

Sorry, I still don't understand what drives you to upgrade. Can you explain?

Honestly for me I happen to like most of what Apple comes out with, both software and design-wise. I don't treat the phone as a status symbol or anything, but as a tool, and if the newer model offers tools and features I see worth having, I upgrade.

For example, in iOS 10, the Messages app now shows previews of links in the message - I really like that and find it very useful. Also, the integrated search in Messages is damn handy when I'm trying to find a meme to bug my kids with :dadjoke:

Also, in my line of work I do responsive design, so having a mobile device to test with is a must, and thankfully my job provides my phone (up to this point) for free, and the service as well.

I just started doodling in iMessage, by far the coolest new feature.

i have a g5 from like a dozen years ago. it runs on osx 10.4.11. works perfectly for music-making. however, it pretty much doesn't work on the internet and my phone no longer even connects. 10.4.11 is the highest OS it will go up to bc after that my hardware is no longer compatible with newer osx versions. this is something of a saving grace imo.

i have an iphone 5. i've never updated the os it came with and always delete them from my device as soon as i get the notification that they're available (bc, yeah, apple just shoves a 1gb update into your phone without asking. also works fine and i've had it longer than any of my other iphones.

every other iphone or macbook i've had i've updated to keep up with the freshest os and without fail the machines became progressively more useless. 

fuck that shit.

i am making it a point to not update my phone like i do now once i get my next one. There is no question at all that their last update is deteriorating my phones performance just in time for the new one. no question at all.

Do you honestly believe that Apple is purposely coding their OS to run poorly on older hardware, and you are the only person who has discovered this? If that were true, there would be a class-action lawsuit by now.

The reason the latest OS update causes your phone to run poorly could be a multitude of reasons (caches are being rebuilt, a third-party app hasn't been optimized for the new OS, etc.), but most likely is the OS is geared to take advantage of more powerful hardware, just like any OS or any software for that matter is designed to do. Apple does ensure the software runs in an acceptable manner on older devices (to an extent), but the reality is if there is newer hardware, the OS is going to be optimized to use that newer hardware first and foremost, and older hardware second by making concessions in performance.

There are ways to roll your phone back to the stock OS it came with, and leave it at the state it was created for that hardware, but you will eventually run into apps that will only run on the newer OS, and of course the newer hardware.

It would be like trying to run Windows 10 on hardware designed for Windows XP - it will probably run, but you are not going to get the same performance.

actually i do think that. i am far from the only one. i laughed before but this time, it is almost undeniable. my battery life has dropped by significant margins. i charged to 100% last night before i went to sleep and woke up with it at 48%. that is sitting on my nightstand doing nothing. 

A good rule of thumb with ios devices is, never upgrade it to the next whole number, your next device will come with that. I broke this rule this time bc my 6s has 2gb of RAM, which I believe is the first time they have done a substantial hardware upgrade like that on an S year. So I thought it could handle ios 10, plus the vids I saw benchmarked it as having longer battery life than ios 9.3.5. YMMV

Yeah it is quite likely a marketing strategy. If they're concerned about performance, they shouldn't allow their older devices to be upgraded beyond a certain point (I mean an earlier point than is currently enforced). I still have a 1st gen ipod touch that works fine, because it's still running something ridiculous like ios 3 or 4 or something, and can't be upgraded beyond that. Somewhere along the line, this changed and their newer devices started supporting os versions they couldn't handle.

Fuck yer planned obsolesence. Had one of these for the last 8 years or so:

63181.jpg

Now severely scratched and ink-stained from pen-leaking-in-pocket moments; missing the direction button so that you have to press the little soldered nubs underneath to navigate. We've had many adventures and I'll be bereft when it finally stops working.

Nice. I plan to use my brickphone until it dies too. And then I will probably buy another brickphone...

Honestly for me I happen to like most of what Apple comes out with, both software and design-wise. I don't treat the phone as a status symbol or anything, but as a tool, and if the newer model offers tools and features I see worth having, I upgrade.

For example, in iOS 10, the Messages app now shows previews of links in the message - I really like that and find it very useful. Also, the integrated search in Messages is damn handy when I'm trying to find a meme to bug my kids with :dadjoke:

Also, in my line of work I do responsive design, so having a mobile device to test with is a must, and thankfully my job provides my phone (up to this point) for free, and the service as well.

I see.

This actually makes sense - I think having a TOSLink out would make more sense from a "Pro" perspective, since a digital audio out would appeal to music makers, no?

If they got rid of it and replaced it with a Lightning connector, that would be a digital audio out and serve as an extra I/O port for devices.

the jack is too damn big! unprofitable

fixed

Yeah, I used GBoard when it came out, but now that's built into the OS, there's no need for GBoard, although I noticed you cannot change Messages default search engine from Bing (last I looked), despite setting the default search engine in Safari.

i'm still using gboard because it lets you use android style swipe to text. does google own the patent on hold top row keys for quick numbers? really fucking annoying to not have that on iphone 

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

fuck this. And they can shove their stupid touch strip up theirs imo.

well the thing is, the MB Pro, if it comes out this year, is definitely already designed.

So either this survey is about a future MB Pro (why?) or it's for this year's. So imo, this could mean that the MB Pro has a single motherfucking USB-C port, and they want to find out if they can get away without including a breakout box with SD card / headphone / USB connectivity or if they can charge extra for that. Or something.

i have a 4s that is currently running ios 9.3.5

I upgraded to the 4s earlier this summer from a iphone 4 that would only run ios6.  So far I am loving being able to use current apps, but I am weary about upgrading the 4s to ios10.  I don't have a cellphone, I just use this on wifi at work and at home usually it's plugged into my stereo, or car.

Basically wondering if anyone else has the 4s and has upgraded, or if the 4s is even supported for ios10.

Archived