IGNORED

The Obligatory iPhone 7/Apple Watch "Series 2" Thread

Joyrex

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tim Cook's Apple:

- incremental iPhone / iPad releases where the improvements are questionable or obvious, aka milking it

- Appl watch (lol...?)

- appl TV (...?)

- useless OS X releases where they don't really improve things but graft on silly bullshit

- no Mac hardware for several years

- Bono Music

conclusion: meh

it's like he might have an identity crisis where he's pressured all the time to come up with something revolutionary - his answer: Bluetooth headphones.

Tim Cook's Apple:

- incremental iPhone / iPad releases where the improvements are questionable or obvious, aka milking it

- Appl watch (lol...?)

- appl TV (...?)

- useless OS X releases where they don't really improve things but graft on silly bullshit

- Bono Music

it's like he might have an identity crisis where he's pressured all the time to come up with something revolutionary - his answer: Bluetooth headphones.

I think that's a bit harsh. Apple's problem is the same as Samsung, Microsoft and all the others.

They're all waiting (and looking) for the next big thing.

Apple was in the right place at the right time to capitalise on mobile computing. It may be many years before we see really revolutionary products again from Apple - or indeed anyone. 

I was absolutely stunned at the price of those airpods here in the UK - £160 ($211).

Lol. They're like ear-phones with an audio quality of about fifteen quid. I bet the markup on those is about 1000%.

I hope they're a disaster sales-wise.

agreed, post was exaggerated.

They did navigate themselves into certain questionable positions though.

E.g. the App Store, just as one example - such a huge thing! Mega success! But it's failing. they are "curating" it, yet it is filled with inane trash apps and terrible fremium games. As if the whole venture lacks direction. And they somehow seem to not see that. Boasting xxx-revenue and yyyy-number of apps, but, then what? As if they are unable to make significant improvements.

dunno.

airpods: yeah I totally hope this bites them in the ass. So far, no real reviews out there, just from "favorable" reporters who got preproduction models, who say "they're great! Sound quality for making phone calls is excellent!" Lol much. There are no proper evaluations of sound quality, and also latency.

^ agreed, post was exaggerated.

They did navigate themselves into certain questionable positions though.

E.g. the App Store, just as one example - such a huge thing! Mega success! But it's failing. they are "curating" it, yet it is filled with inane trash apps and terrible fremium games. As if the whole venture lacks direction. And they somehow seem to not see that. Boasting xxx-revenue and yyyy-number of apps, but, then what? As if they are unable to make significant improvements.

dunno.

The problem you mention is very much what indirectly brought about Microsoft's arc of descent. Think of it as like a huge oil tanker trying to turn around. It takes a long time because it's too big. Apple are too big now.

And it will only take a very small, nimble company with access to some killer technology to come along and start dismantling them.

yeah no way something like a garage startup - if such thing still even exists - can have any significant impact these days. Most startups seem to exist solely for the purpose of being bought before insolvency...

I was absolutely stunned at the price of those airpods here in the UK - £160 ($211).

Lol. They're like ear-phones with an audio quality of about fifteen quid. I bet the markup on those is about 1000%.

Well, they did acquire Beats, so I don't hold high hopes for quality audio out of any Apple headphones, ever.

Well, they did acquire Beats, so I don't hold high hopes for quality audio out of any Apple headphones, ever.

Yeah that whole Beats thing makes me realise just how many fucking stupid people there are out there. Apple supply headphones to celebrities and athletes and the masses start handing over half a month's salary for something with audio quality about a tenth of the asking price.

No wonder Tim Cook and all those execs are always smiling.

And it will only take a very small, nimble company with access to some killer technology to come along and start dismantling them.

Google isn't very small or nimble, but they're the only ones upsetting the PC/mobile game right now. Their Chromebooks are in a good position to truly dig in to the (albeit fumbling) PC world...and if they ever overhaul the Android concept for phones/tablets (which is really a no-brainer it'd surprise the shit out of me if it doesn't happen soon) and truly make their own iPhone/iPad replacement instead of trying to compete with Microsoft, they could really throw Apple for a loop.

But for now, Apple is king, they have their hooks in such a huge portion of the technologically ignorant masses that they're likely to stay on top for the next decade, easily. Just think of the 40-50 year olds right now who love their iPhones...do you think they're going to become more technologically aware and really worry about the next phone? No, they're just going to keep upgrading their iPhone until that device is no longer necessary. And that next device is of course what a lot of you are talking about, the 'next big thing' but really, that could be a decade or more away. There's only so many niches that tech companies can invent for us to try out...the PC is static, indefinitely, the laptop is more interesting but still shrinking in users, the tablet made a big pop but fizzled pretty quickly, not very likely to resurge any time soon, the smartwatch is a fucking joke, other wearables are taking people's money but 95% of users will never ever need one and already own one (like tablets), the home tech world is kicking but so expensive and unnecessary that it may take a long time to truly get huge (trends are to renting and if you rent why the fuck are you gonna spend $500 or even in 4 years when its $60 on a lightbulbs package that dims via a phone app?), glasses are never going to truly take off, they're too intrusive (until they become contacts at least: eyePhone u guyz, Futurama knew), and VR is looking to be a flash in the pan for only a pretty small subset of gamers... What's next though, really? The smartphone is everything we've ever wanted already, why would we need much else at this point, seriously? 

Google isn't very small or nimble, but they're the only ones upsetting the PC/mobile game right now. Their Chromebooks are in a good position to truly dig in to the (albeit fumbling) PC world...and if they ever overhaul the Android concept for phones/tablets (which is really a no-brainer it'd surprise the shit out of me if it doesn't happen soon) and truly make their own iPhone/iPad replacement instead of trying to compete with Microsoft, they could really throw Apple for a loop.

But for now, Apple is king, they have their hooks in such a huge portion of the technologically ignorant masses that they're likely to stay on top for the next decade, easily. Just think of the 40-50 year olds right now who love their iPhones...do you think they're going to become more technologically aware and really worry about the next phone? No, they're just going to keep upgrading their iPhone until that device is no longer necessary. And that next device is of course what a lot of you are talking about, the 'next big thing' but really, that could be a decade or more away. There's only so many niches that tech companies can invent for us to try out...the PC is static, indefinitely, the laptop is more interesting but still shrinking in users, the tablet made a big pop but fizzled pretty quickly, not very likely to resurge any time soon, the smartwatch is a fucking joke, other wearables are taking people's money but 95% of users will never ever need one and already own one (like tablets), the home tech world is kicking but so expensive and unnecessary that it may take a long time to truly get huge (trends are to renting and if you rent why the fuck are you gonna spend $500 or even in 4 years when its $60 on a lightbulbs package that dims via a phone app?), glasses are never going to truly take off, they're too intrusive (until they become contacts at least: eyePhone u guyz, Futurama knew), and VR is looking to be a flash in the pan for only a pretty small subset of gamers... What's next though, really? The smartphone is everything we've ever wanted already, why would we need much else at this point, seriously?

Yeah, its definitely hit a plateau for a few years now and I guess quite a few more to come.

Personally I'd like to see better technological advancements in medicine rather than being able to wear an Instagram VR helmet.

Tim Cook's Apple:

- Appl watch (lol...?)

- appl TV (...?)

- Bono Music

Apple TV Gen 4 is an awesome device, and a godsend for anyone living in a foreign or remote area with no access to terrestrial broadcasts. It's a decent game console and a good wifi streaming device as well.

No one ever talks about conflict minerals or hellish work conditions but God forbid they remove the fucking headphone jack, fuck the people that suffer because of phones who cares about them right ???? ??? , the west deserves trump !

Sent from my iPhone

No one ever talks about conflict minerals or hellish work conditions but God forbid they remove the fucking headphone jack, fuck the people that suffer because of phones who cares about them right ???? , the west deserves trump !

Sent from my iPhone

If it makes you feel any better, the South Koreans, Indians and Japanese don't give a shit either, as long they get new sticker packs.

Tim Cook's Apple:

- Appl watch (lol...?)

- appl TV (...?)

- Bono Music

Apple TV Gen 4 is an awesome device, and a godsend for anyone living in a foreign or remote area with no access to terrestrial broadcasts. It's a decent game console and a good wifi streaming device as well.

Agreed - I love the new dark mode too, just like the OG Apple TV.

still rocking a 4 year old £12.99 nokia with a 10 day battery life, i can look at my facebook and ring people, and i dont have to waste 500 quid bi-annually on a piece of shit attention sucking micro pc that you have to charge up more often than you have to eat food to sustain your pathetic, miserable existence. 

Archived