IGNORED

The Big Star Wars Thread *SPOILERS ABOUND*

Joyrex

who the fuck are these people?

oh good because that's what movies are now

unbelievably deluded to think any movie made after 2007 will be remembered by anyone "generations" from now

Edited by zaphod

unbelievably deluded to think any movie made after 2007 will be remembered by anyone "generations" from now

OK; I'll bite: why 2007?

OK; I'll bite: why 2007?

evel knievel  1938 - 2007

nevar forget

450px-At_Home_With_Evel_Knievel.jpg

I thought it was going to be worse, I'm ok with this film, Star Wars has always been kinda dumb. I've never ever seen so many neckbeards and felt such a pungent mixture of sweat and cheap aftershave before.

Enjoyed it for what it was...a great blockbuster with heart.

It resonated more with me when Luke and Leia were on screen, but that's because I'm 47 and they're from my youth.

The new characters were good value, Rose especially I thought. Poe is still a bit of a dick and Rey as wooden as hell.

Obviously there are amazing little moments, interactions and 'what-have-you', but they're spoilers so I'll keep them to myself.

pewpewpewpew/5

Was it very noticeable that they added certain actors or actresses just to diversify? Ethnicities etc I mean.

I know nothing at all about the movie or cast, that just seems to be a trend these days. It feels a bit artificial, some movies and TV shows feel like they have a checklist  - "Person of colour, check. LGBTQ, check. 1-2 other marginalized persons/groups, check.". Like some sort of weird marketing thing.

Edit: to be clear, I don't give a fuck who gets cast, I just meant some productions feel VERY artificial. Almost like those Dove commercials etc? 

I felt Star Trek: Beyond was like that a little bit. Like they sat down with a stop watch to make sure Sulu/Scotty/Kirk/Chekov/Uhuru got identical amount of lines and action scenes. It detracted from their natural acting abilities IMO. They're all talented actors/actresses, something about it felt unnatural. 

Edited by Bulk VanderHooj

Was it very noticeable that they added certain actors or actresses just to diversify? Ethnicities etc I mean.

Yes, 90% of the film was trans-persons of various races and religions making out.

In essence it's about a terrorist faction trying to destroy a glorious fascist regime. Liberal propaganda. Bad!

Edited by Gocab

Yes, 90% of the film was trans-persons of various races and religions making out.

In essence it's about a terrorist faction trying to destroy a glorious fascist regime. Liberal propaganda. Bad!

lolol

:catsuicide::catcry:

i think we're just so used to seeing mostly white people on the screen so it is more noticeable when the gender or ethnic backgrounds start to reflect real life. it's a fine line and easy to fall into the trap of tokenism. we'd have to have some behind-the-scenes info on their casting process to know for sure how discriminatory it is. 

Yeh, like I don't mind, usually the actors/actresses are good and stuff but shots like the below one seem so strange to me.... It's not the casting that bothers me it's the deliberateness. I'm picturing some guy running around during the writing phase with a checklist ticking off all of the diff backgrounds actors need to be from, groups to include so as to not be marginalizing etc. It feels superficial. And I know I'm making a lot of assumptions.

Screen-Shot-2017-07-25-at-15.38.02-920x5

but I mean, I hope the movie is good. And ultimately it doesn't mean anything if the cast they select does a great job.