IGNORED

Clark - Death Peak

lawrenke

• Replies 308
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a listen to it now. 

Quite an ambient track. Has a simple shimmering synth motif that slowly builds with something that sounds like train carriages passing in the background (but less distinct), then at around the 3 minute mark, a a faint beat comes in and it continues that way but with more static noise overlaying it until 6:51. The rest is silence.

It's a pleasant enough track but when you hear it, you realise why it wasn't on DP. It doesn't fit with the vibe of the album.

Completists only.

not surprising. aside from alaska (from etboy) all of his bonus tracks never did anything for me.

thanks for the heads up!

Had a listen to it now. 

Quite an ambient track. Has a simple shimmering synth motif that slowly builds with something that sounds like train carriages passing in the background (but less distinct), then at around the 3 minute mark, a a faint beat comes in and it continues that way but with more static noise overlaying it until 6:51. The rest is silence.

It's a pleasant enough track but when you hear it, you realise why it wasn't on DP. It doesn't fit with the vibe of the album.

Completists only.

The one thing that has me a lil puzzled about this track is the "(Pink Strobe Version)" after the song's title! Like is there an original version on a follow-up EP or something? I too can see why it wasn't on DP, but overall it's real nice track, and on quality speakers it sounds really good especially because the very quiet kick in the background gets drawn out nicely through the swirling ambience with its bass! The shuffles and glistening textures throughout are especially lovely  :music:

That very quiet kick gives the track an Aphex 'Tha' vibe from SAW 95-92, if somewhat slower.

Had a listen to it now. 

Completists only.

Cheers - appreciate the very detailed mini-review!

saw the end of last nights Berlin show (basically just walked in - nobody cared).

Music just doesn't do much for me, but it was well loud and bright. bring sunglasses- no joke.

Absolutely wicked show in London - the dancers/AV was better than I expected and the new stuff translated live really well, plus tracks from s/t made more sense in a live scenario on a good system (which was surprising as I saw Ae there a few years ago and the sound was awful!). Brilliant support from Overmono beforehand too and a great 2hr techno set from Benjamin Damage afterwards.

Death Peak's ok but it's no Totems Flare.Loved it on first listen but on the second i start seeing the problems. It could have been so much more, Clark

second half p bad... clark tries too hard to go for "the epic" or something... just doesn't work.

the WEE ARE YOUOOUUR ANCESTORSSSS was cringe inducing.

but there were a few cuts / moments that I really liked actually, was surprised

second half p bad... clark tries too hard to go for "the epic" or something... just doesn't work.

the WEE ARE YOUOOUUR ANCESTORSSSS was cringe inducing.

but there were a few cuts / moments that I really liked actually, was surprised

The Clark Haters thread is that way --> :dadjoke:

how late after the doors opened did he go on?

I want to go to the Brooklyn show but not if he is going on at like 1am!

Doors were 10pm - 4am and he was on at 1. There was two support acts prior and a 2hr DJ set after his.

how late after the doors opened did he go on?

I want to go to the Brooklyn show but not if he is going on at like 1am!

Doors were 10pm - 4am and he was on at 1. There was two support acts prior and a 2hr DJ set after his.

Same in Paris, penultimate of the show at 1

okay i'm being unfair, the remixes and weird tracks he released a couple of months ago on soundcloud were cool. I even played them on on set. But anyways, gotta give this one another shot, I only had 3 listens.

• 3 weeks later...

I hate going hard on Clark because he's given us some great tunes over the years, but listened to this last night and thought it was absolute bollocks tbh. All smoke and mirrors, non-event melodies covered up with over the top production techniques. 

Kind of hope he either scales his output down or calls it a day soon

Archived