IGNORED

Amon Tobin - Electronic Music for the Sydney Opera House

Hugh Mughnus

Apparently out in June as a freebie? Didn't see a thread on this. 

If you go to his website (http://www.amontobin.com/) and join a mailing list (maybe also a sign of something coming, finally? lol) you can download it for free. 

I listened through right now and don't really know how to describe it but I quite enjoyed it. Pretty intense in certain spots.

Pretty cool video too btw. That would have been really cool to be there. 

it seems he has discovered kyma. 

this is like the last 10 years of amon

i guess.  i cant find a single track from him that i like.  just a bunch of cardboard like sounds and no music. as if emotionally we have nothing in common 

i guess.  i cant find a single track from him that i like.  just a bunch of cardboard like sounds and no music. as if emotionally we have nothing in common

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bk8W3ysnB7M this one does it for me, is a very specific feeling captured here which I can't really place.. but I really like it.

not heard anything else from him that does this to me tho

You must not be aware of ISAM Live

this was boring

You must not be aware of ISAM Live

i am, does nothing to me. no music,  just bunch of kyma fuckeries. but hey, who am i to judge... and it's just one big IMO

this one does it for me, is a very specific feeling captured here which I can't really place.. but I really like it.

not heard anything else from him that does this to me tho

i like the last 40 sec of this track.

edit: to me, his music is just a weird collection of previews for kyma made sound libraries and i'm very rarely impressed by the sound design. remember bladelores? nothing impressive with its sound design but what a track! 

His old stuff where he would sample from old jazz records and so on has a lot more soul. Every since The Foley Room album he has moved into a more experimental sound design era and that stuff hasn't really done me any good. His soundtrack for Splinter Cell Chaos Theory was amazing though.

The metamorphic CG creature in that vid is amazing, I really liked the vid. The sound definitely plays second fiddle.

I recall enjoying moments on ISAM but have not really checked out enough of Tobin's work to know if I am a fan. Nothing I've heard in passing really blew me away to the point where I felt I needed to check out his work.

From my rudimentary perspective he seems more interested in sound design as opposed to composition which is cool but could date the work in the future. Dunno...

"Out From Out Where" is a fantastic album from start to finish.

Will check this one out, thanks.

Archived