IGNORED

GAS - Rausch

11ls

Haha, I can hear it now, on the 2nd track on the cd for instance. Had to put my ear right next to a tweeter to detect it at first but it's more obvious on headphones.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Digging this more than narkopop as well, more engaging overall

I had earbuds in when I listened to it at work and I didn't so notice a high-pitch noise specifically but it did seem more "wall of sound" ish than some other stuff I heard that day - maybe it's there to fill in the spectrum more fully? I dunno.

Yeah there's a pretty obvious high pitches rhythm thing going on in Rausch 5 actually. It's bearable but not exactly pleasant!

Still adore this all the same. Beautiful and disconcerting all at the same time.

This is lovely.. not hearing these high frequencies..or if I am there not bothering me! Though also a tinnitus sufferer so maybe he made this one for the tinnitus heads as someone mentioned.

Really must check out the early Gas Albums I'm a newb and somehow only got into him when Narkopop came out.

It's possible he doesn't even know it's there. Techno overlords such as Wolfie have got to be getting a bit of a tin ear after all these years. What if it was a frequency associated with a sample that was never filtered out and no engineer was willing to ask during mastering? Jules took exquisite care of his receivers and now suffers through techno like a dog howling at frequencies unheard.

Nail on the head. This is an epic album — but with a high pitched tone that follows every beat. I’d agree that no one dared question his artistic vision. I wonder if this will ever come out in an interview or how he’d react to react to reading this criticism online.

Yup, it sounds like the kick is running through a decimator (it always sounds cool at first) and no one filtered out the “reflected” energy at the top. Can’t say I mind it though.

I can't hear anything even remotely close to a high frequency so I've been depressed and paranoid all evening as I face impending debility. 

track 5 ? no ?

I wouldn't completely rule out this "working as intended" either.

Voigt's been accused of sloppy sample editing before (the sixth and closing track on the selftitled Gas debut being a prime example) but what if he's doing and has been doing this on purpose, as stylistic dissonance or just to fuck with people's expectations and listening habits?

The high pitch is definitely deliberate. And for me it wasn't really that hi, or grating after weeks of listening to NTS 1-4. I kinda dig it actually. Reminds more a bit of the brief high pitched beeps in Comfortably Numb.

PS I think I officially like this one better than Narkopop as well.

Yeah I don't find it unpleasant or distracting, and can still only hear it with deliberate attention on anything but my "good" headphones to be honest. I'm almost relieved I can hear it at all; swear I'm going to end up with a fucking ear trumpet one of these days.

Is it a mere coincidence that he brought up his tinnitus in that Rolling Stone interview Extralife linked to?

With the release of Rausch, Nah und Fern (the CD version, without that vinyl-version track) is now streaming on Spotify.

Pretty cool. It's probably the closest we'll get to the original Gas album on streaming services (because of the replacement of Gas 1 and 3).

• 5 weeks later...

This is a bit of a monotonous plod, following Narkopop. It's not unpleasant, it just doesn't seem* to cover much ground along its duration.. feels like one long, steady crescendo, or a gradual transformation.

*on the surface

Archived