IGNORED

WATMM is dying

hello spiral

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think a new compilation will be the a big shot in the arm for WATMM. Perfect solution to the lack of posts here.

Also, I think the lack of posts here is due to the popularity of the new chat feature. I mean, it's positively hopping whenever I go in there. Good move.

3 minutes ago, Goiter Sanchez said:

Could the paywall be dissuading new members? I know it's minuscule but people are lazy and obstacle adverse... Perhaps JR has stats on this post paywall implementation.

a little bird told me *hundreds* of people have gone through the sign up process until they hit the "fuck u pay me" stage, and then they bail

whenever access to something is monetized, it makes people believe it holds value, encouraging people to pay up because what they receive must be worth the money if they're willing to charge for it, right?

Yeah... I feel like it may be for the greater good if the signup paywall were abolished and we had a Patreon for JR or something to that effect. As a longtime poster who comes at least once a day I'd feel obliged to throw down for the expenses were the option present and obviously so (this probably already exists and I am just not observing it on a sidebar or something).

Oh shit, you have to pay to be a lowly member now? That would explain things

21 minutes ago, sheatheman said:

Please reply to my YLCs thanks

Couldn’t find anything of yours on the first three pages, so, sorry, no.

It's due to the way "my content" is no longer organized for easy viewing of updated threads you're participating in.  Ease of use has been diminished and so people post less.  That's my theory.

24 minutes ago, Goiter Sanchez said:

Could the paywall be dissuading new members? I know it's minuscule but people are lazy and obstacle adverse... Perhaps JR has stats on this post paywall implementation.

" Most members ever online was 334, last accomplished on 21 hours ago. "

I think you're right.

perhaps it is because the core of watmm is a bunch of irreverent egotists who use their intellects to put down others - that have no real passion for music but rather use this idm forum as an outlet for their elitist pretensions...?

4 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

It's due to the way "my content" is no longer organized for easy viewing of updated threads you're participating in.  Ease of use has been diminished and so people post less.  That's my theory.

not sure if you're joking, but yes.

8 minutes ago, Salvatorin said:

perhaps it is because the core of watmm is a bunch of irreverent egotists who use their intellects to put down others - that have no real passion for music but rather use this idm forum as an outlet for their elitist pretensions...?

This. I've only been around for a year, but it's evident that WATMM is an awfully toxic place full of inside jokes which only people who came here 50 years ago get. And if you didn't come here 50 years ago you're an alien. But I have no one IRL to talk about IDMz so I'm here to put up with it.  :catbleed:

1 minute ago, lickneonlights said:

This. I've only been around for a year, but it's evident that WATMM is an awfully toxic place full of inside jokes which only people who came here 50 years ago get. And if you didn't come here 50 years ago you're an alien. But I have no one IRL to talk about IDMz so I'm here to put up with it.  :catbleed:

Good luck out there...

:p

30 minutes ago, hello spiral said:

a little bird told me *hundreds* of people have gone through the sign up process until they hit the "fuck u pay me" stage, and then they bail

LOL - your "little bird" wouldn't happen to be my Google Analytics, would it? 'cause you don't have access to that, do you?

26 minutes ago, Goiter Sanchez said:

Yeah... I feel like it may be for the greater good if the signup paywall were abolished and we had a Patreon for JR or something to that effect. As a longtime poster who comes at least once a day I'd feel obliged to throw down for the expenses were the option present and obviously so (this probably already exists and I am just not observing it on a sidebar or something).

The requirement for all new and renewing members to purchase a subscription has been in place since August 2013 - six years now. I implemented it because it was the same small group of people supporting the site, and in the interest of fairness I wanted everyone to contribute. The plan was to grandfather in the Members with a cutoff date TBD where posting would require a subscription, but I've held off on that, mostly due to the delayed forum upgrade, which is now done.

21 minutes ago, Gocab said:

Oh shit, you have to pay to be a lowly member now? That would explain things

Again, been like that since 2013.

10 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Care to expand on that? The Content Streams feature should be able to give you a customized experience that should meet most people's needs...

Now, with all that said - I am open to the idea of allowing optional subscriptions, Patreon, etc. as long as it doesn't result in resentment towards people who aren't paying, or who have never paid, etc. I am not really keen on the idea of Google AdSense or ads in general (plus people just AdBlock them).

We do make enough each month to cover our hosting and software costs on a regular basis now, and if things did get dire I could always do public outreach as I did in the past (although as I mentioned, I didn't think it was fair for the same bunch of people always paying while the majority got a 'free ride'.

One of my fears is if we open the floodgates so to speak, would the overall quality go down? You could argue the pay-to-play model keeps the trolls out (I can't recall the last time we banned anybody for instance).

I certainly want WATMM to grow, and we go through periods of slowness - but I assure you, we are very heavily trafficked, even if users aren't directly participating:

image.png

As you can see, that's 1 year's worth of analytics, and almost 90% are new people - I haven't wired in the subscribing users into GA yet so I can see how that tracks, so I can't really give hard numbers on that just yet.

In the screenshot the graph notably declines towards the end, which is what spi's talking about, I guess? ?

Funny to see a spike in August 2018 – could be due to the Collapse EP release and discussion? It was hot, as far as I can remember. Bring back dem dayz

Edit: nvm, just noticed it says "Users", not views, so not sure what to make of it

14 minutes ago, lickneonlights said:

Aww :cattears:

We still love you bro :love:

Archived