IGNORED

Has Clark left Warp?

thumbass

Has he left Warp? His latest single and TV score have been self released even though the last Panthers, an album in the same style, was on warp.

In this interview here:

https://truantsblog.com/2019/truancy-volume-247-clark/

it says: "Following an expansive discography of LPs on Warp from 2001 to 2017"

Does that mean he doesn't release on the label anymore? I hope not but I'd still follow him of course.

An argument against it would be that he is still listed in the active artists section on warp.net

PS. Lol to this text color.

Edited by thumbass

3 hours ago, o00o said:

Why should Warp release these ?

They released that last Panthers, so why not this? Anyway. Maybe I'm overthinking it and Kiri Variations is just a side project

I would assume that these were things Clark wanted to release under his own imprint, or that perhaps WARP passed on and he decided to release anyway.

Or, he just wanted his own label for releasing stuff to differentiate this work from his WARP releases.

• 8 months later...
3 minutes ago, Goiter Sanchez said:

LOL well his most recent single was called 'Branding Problem' so I sense there was some friction near the end ?

Y'know, until you said that, I hadn't really thought about that... maybe! Or (more likely) he just liked the sound of the term or it has some relevance to him.

11 minutes ago, Goiter Sanchez said:

LOL well his most recent single was called 'Branding Problem' so I sense there was some friction near the end ?

Hilarious title, if true.  Merely a bit funny otherwise.

His material hasn't been warp quality for awhile though (even after taking into account the gradual decline in the quality of the label). Kinda went the way of prefuse73, started out strong but it got p bad quite quickly.

It would make sense IMO if they parted ways. 

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

His material hasn't been warp quality for awhile though (even after taking into account the gradual decline in the quality of the label). Kinda went the way of prefuse73, started out strong but it got p bad quite quickly.

Er, what? Have you listened to Deak Peak? And I wouldn't say WARP as a label has declined at all - just because they are releasing music that we personally don't find interesting, somebody, somewhere is.

Also, he still has an artist page on WARP: https://warp.net/artists/91423-clark

18 minutes ago, Joyrex said:

Er, what? Have you listened to Deak Peak? And I wouldn't say WARP as a label has declined at all - just because they are releasing music that we personally don't find interesting, somebody, somewhere is.

god my severe ocd thoughts are getting in the way of liking posts lately but i gotta say i agree. Warp still has lots of cool artists and stuff going on. They still respect where they started a lot but they've just grown outside of IDM for experimental genres. I do agree we need a couple new IDM-techno type peeps signed though.

1 hour ago, Joyrex said:

Yes I listened to Death Peak, had one or two good songs on it . Aside from that it's been almost a decade since he's had a solid release?

And yes of course I understand others probably find WARP's recent output good. Some people also find Bruno Mars or Justin Bieber to be the pinnacle of music. Doesn't mean they're right. ?

I do believe there is plenty of interesting material still coming out on WARP, but if you were to hold a poll here I bet the vast majority would agree the label has been in decline for a long time. They have a few anchor acts (autechre, aphex, squarepusher, etc etc) and an occasional artist that's actually forward thinking (OPN for example). The rest is very, very meh. Trendy hipster stuff I hear in the clothing stores on the rare occasion I go shopping. 

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, brian trageskin said:

i hear he refused to do a wheelchair backflip in his new music video so warp fired him 

sad

He shouldn't have gone too far in his wheelchair, let's get 'im!

Edited by yekker

1 hour ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Imo all of his Warp releases have been really solid. Clark and death peak are grand works

1 hour ago, Joyrex said:

There are more artists not active on the label anymore that still have an artist page

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, thumbass said:
2 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Imo all of his Warp releases have been really solid. Clark and death peak are grand works

That's the thing with opinions I guess! We all have diff tastes/expectations and so forth. 

I honestly couldn't tell you the name of a single track off his S/T album, every track sounded the same to me. Nothing really stood out. 

Death Peak had Butterfly Prowler & In UK? 

Edit: see I'm in the huge minority (I think) that actually liked Iradelphic. That was his last proper release for me. Some complained he was hanging out with Wilkinson too much at the time but I enjoyed how much different it sounded than his other output BUT was still undeniably Clark. His newer releases to me, sound like he's trying to imitate himself from over a decade ago. Trying to make the sounds that made him popular but not really succeeding....

18 minutes ago, thumbass said:
1 hour ago, Joyrex said:

There are more artists not active on the label anymore that still have an artist page

This exactly - there is the "current artists" you pointed out + "artists" that JR pointed out. 

Just because he's not signed anymore doesn't mean WARP is going to erase him from their history lol.

Edited by Hugh Mughnus
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Soloman Tump said:

He did a set for Warp 30, so he must still be linked somewhere along the line.

but his name wasnt mentioned anywhere in the promotions

48 minutes ago, thumbass said:

but his name wasnt mentioned anywhere in the promotions

Yeah interesting.

His bleepstore is still open.

Always keen to hear Clark's new output, although Clarence Park to Totems Flare is pretty much gold standard for me and my interest has dulled a bit since.

• Like 1