IGNORED

Global Communication - 76:14 / Pentamerous Metamorphosis / Singles, Remixes, Unreleased Bonus Tracks Reissue [Official]

hayhook

It sounds like Warp didn't want to shell out for the Maiden Voyage mixes, or The Way / The Deep mixes, but honestly I'd rather have those than the Sensorama or Grid stuff.  I guess you can't make everyone happy.

note.jpg

• Thanks 1

Regarding shipping, this is the most apples-to-apples comparison I could make.  I recently purchased the most recent EOD EP from Redeye, so I took my receipt and compared to shipping from Bleep:

Redeye

1 x EOD - Zone, A1. From the 1st Sound
Shipping =  GBP 2.81 ($3.58)

Bleep

EOD - Zone Vinyl (EP)
$7.41 Standard Mail (Not Tracked)
$21.89 Courier (Tracked)

I didn't want to pull up more examples to make a point on the internet, but I've found that Redeye has consistently cheaper shipping than Bleep, and my understanding is that they're both based in the UK.  I tried pulling up an analogous box set from Redeye, but couldn't find anything comparable to the Global Communication release.  I did buy the set, so obviously I don't have that much of an issue with it, and agree that tracked is probably a necessity for this kind of purchase, but I do think that Bleep is more expensive in general.

5 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

It sounds like Warp didn't want to shell out for the Maiden Voyage mixes, or The Way / The Deep mixes, but honestly I'd rather have those than the Sensorama or Grid stuff.  I guess you can't make everyone happy.

note.jpg

You'd think they might have tried to license more different material to the 2CD version (it's what I would have done knowing there was a limitation on what could be afforded) so there's most incentive for previous purchasers to buy it.

I mean I'm moaning but I'm still buying it because getting Pentamerous Metamophosis - remastered - for £25, but for long-term fans it's still a bit underwhelming. Ah well!

8 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

note.jpg

Well you can only do so much for 7LPs without making it more than that and it's already 90 quid.

If I didn't have it already, I'd be asking for one of these to go on one of the next ones, because they are both whopper mixes.

Spoiler

Edited by chassis
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, chassis said:

Well you can only do so much for 7LPs without making it more than that and it's already 90 quid.

If I didn't have it already, I'd be asking for one of these to go on one of the next ones, because they are both whopper mixes.

Hide contents

That remix is a Tom only production but its absolutely one of my faves ever. 

this new singles and remixes set removes “The Groove” as well as Reload - “Biosphere (Global Communication Remix)”. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/9/2020 at 2:16 PM, hayhook said:

Yasssss. Finally!  Psyched for that lone number and the original 7:39!

From the medium.com article:

7 39

This was rhythmically inspired by Digi-Dub — digital Dub music, where they were using a lot of Linndrum and DMX sort of drums and delays to make it sound more dubbed out. We never had the actual drum machines — we used some samples and added the delays and reverbs to get the desired effect. Basically the chords are from the Juno-106, playing the main theme. The bass is the TX81Z again. My friend had another one that I borrowed to double it up.

That track was a weird one. We did a version of it that we put down to cassette, which we lost. So we are trying to recreate that. It never sounded as good as the original demo, but nobody knows that but us. The main Juno-106 pad, we couldn’t get it the same. It’s close, but there was something about the original that was perfect in a way.

Edited by hayhook

6 hours ago, hayhook said:

From the medium.com article:

7 39

This was rhythmically inspired by Digi-Dub — digital Dub music, where they were using a lot of Linndrum and DMX sort of drums and delays to make it sound more dubbed out. We never had the actual drum machines — we used some samples and added the delays and reverbs to get the desired effect. Basically the chords are from the Juno-106, playing the main theme. The bass is the TX81Z again. My friend had another one that I borrowed to double it up.

That track was a weird one. We did a version of it that we put down to cassette, which we lost. So we are trying to recreate that. It never sounded as good as the original demo, but nobody knows that but us. The main Juno-106 pad, we couldn’t get it the same. It’s close, but there was something about the original that was perfect in a way.

Aint that annoying as fuck. Oh well, love it anyway.

Not to derail, but can someone give me a good place to find some Digi-Dub examples?  I found one on Bandcamp, but figured y'all are more laser focused than Google.  Apologies if there's a thread here specifically about that, but it sounds really interesting.

Also found this interesting from the article. Anyone got a guess which Sun Electric song it might be? O’Locco? 

9 25

This was actually a remix for Sun Electric, a band on R&S Records. We changing their chords and made a track. They loved it but agreed that it wasn’t really a remix, but a whole original track. So we didn’t get paid and we ended up keeping it for ourselves. It was quite cool that they said they liked it. A lot of our remixes were like that. We didn’t end up using a lot of the original track. For me, it sounds a bit dated now. The drum loop make it sound like it comes from the era it was made it.

If I had to be pinned to the wall to pick one GC track forever more, it would be "9:25". It still feels very modern to me and the funky flip at 5:01 remains one of the most pro moves ever. When I got my first computer, I made .wav loops of my favorite tunes. The 5:01-5:45 bit was one of the first loops I made and one of the most heavily played back in the ol '98 or so. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

bleep will be hosting an online launch event for Transmissions, Friday, August 7, 2020 at 12 PM – 3 PM UTC+02

https://bleep.com/release/191605-global-communication-transmissions

I dont see any reference to the event in that link, and I couldn't find anything via google.

52 minutes ago, Rubin Farr said:

New megamix from Tom Middleton:

https://www.astrangelyisolatedplace.com/blog/2020/6/10/isolatedmix-100-tom-middleton?fbclid=IwAR1EDhYXRmqE6_kQebAvLBPcHZTaGTWC7eo56RWq-hrQPlFd8mM0kWo45nA

Your browser does not support the HTML5 audio tag.

http://s141218.gridserver.com/mixes/isolatedmix100/isolatedmix100.mp3

945B0214-96C9-496A-88AB-DBF65A5034BC.jpeg

Wow. What a track list.

• Like 1

It's a really excellent mix.  I'm finding all kinds of stuff I've not heard before, but love anyway.  Also, I'm a little confused.  The demo version of 7:39 was found after all?  Or did they just go about trying to re-create what they lost, and that's what's coming with the box set?

It was lost as of the time that article was written.  Mark found it a year or so ago on a trip home going through stuff at his parents’ I believe. The version on 76:14 is the attempted re-creation. The cassette demo version is the one that had long been lost. 

Edited by hayhook
  • Thanks 1