IGNORED

Global Communication - 76:14 / Pentamerous Metamorphosis / Singles, Remixes, Unreleased Bonus Tracks Reissue [Official]

hayhook

7 hours ago, purlieu said:

Yeah, a nice 2CD edition with all the EP tracks on the second disc would go down really nice. And if it had the GC remix of The Biosphere it would mean I no longer needed the 2CD 76 14.

Yeah bring all the weird shit like go completely bonkers overboard w/ Reload related extras. The μ-Ziq remixes of Peschi, The Augur, and The Biosphere. And maybe even Mark Pritchard remix of µ-Ziq‘s 3 Time Egg.

what else is there?

Big scratch on "Sublime Creation".  Hurrahhh.  Now waiting for Bleep response.

So this set was pressed at Optimal, where some other things I've been interested in recently have also been pressed.  Based on some hair-raising reports I've read about those, it looks like QC there has gone downhill in the past year or two.  The rest of the vinyl in the set doesn't look too hot either - uneven surfaces, dimples, sharp edges.. 

Just did a spot comparison against my Discotheque release from 2005 - which is the John Dent / LOUD cut, same as the new MOV pressing.  The Discotheque is better - louder, better vinyl quality, less surface noise.

Come to think of it, wasn't there some shade being thrown about the MOV being cut from a CD / not the original master?  That's patently false - as the MOV is the exact same record as the Discotheque from the same lacquer - which was a remaster done by John Dent and Mark Pritchard himself!

• Like 1

not too fussed by superficial marks and sleeve damage - that’s part of buying records.

but does this remastered by the artist straight from DAT sound better or worse than the “pressed from cd” mov release which turned out to not even be true?  that would be disappointing.

and yeah vinyl vs cd - they both look good on the shelf and are both useless at this point. but i still buy them.

6 hours ago, Richie Sombrero said:

Haven't heard mine yet, disaster if this is a bad cut.

I wouldn't say it's a disaster..  The cut is perfectly adequate, tonally it sounds to me indistinguishable from the 2005, and it's slightly - but noticeably - quieter, with slightly (slightly!) higher surface noise.  Playing through more discs there is ticking and popping throughout, more than you'd typically find on the premium quality presses (Pallas?  RTI?), but I think these will mostly go away after some playthroughs and/or cleaning.

I'd feel confident that all the above applies when comparing to the MOV as well, as 2005 = MOV as far as the cut goes.  And MOV generally press on good quality vinyl from my experience.

18 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

Some spine damage being reported on the FB group, I’d check them thoroughly upon opening.

I just saw one dude who unfortunately got an LP that some warehouse boy hit wrong with a box cutter. I fuckin hate when I get that.

Well, my box arrived today too, and I love it. It's a beautiful artifact. I'm a little bummed about not having a digital copy to go along with it, but I guess that's Sony/Universal dicking warp/Pritchard&Middleton around. And that bums me out a bit, but it's not the end of the world. Push comes to shove, I could make a recording of my records, which I kind of appreciate anyway, as it makes my imperfect digital copies a little more personal, anyway. I'll probably do that this weekend.

I was a bit worried when I saw the state of the shipping packaging, because it was beat to hell and the tape holding the whole thing together was ripped. There was a huge gouge in the front of the box, but luckily it didn't penetrate to the actual item in the packaging. Everything on my end is pretty wonderful, and I'm so glad that they made this really nice version, and I didn't have to settle for a MOV edition. It's a beautiful capstone to this album that meant a lot to me when I was in a pretty isolate (which isn't to say "lonely") period of my life. As I mentioned, this and the Reload "Collection of Short Stories" albums were really key for getting me through some big moments, and revisiting this material with all the extra content makes is even more special. 

• Like 5

Got my vinyl box set also.   Everything looks great, but I haven't had the time to play them yet.  I'm pretty bummed about the lack of digitals, and am not super keen to re-buy this on CD to rip copies.  I guess I have some soul searching to do.

Edited by BaggerMcGuirk
  • Like 1

CD box came a few days ago. The demo isn't so far off the original, and the Lone remix is decent but unspectacular, so the box offers relatively little in terms of new material. But being able to get Pentamorous in a newly remastered version for a decent price is worth it alone. The liner notes are lovely too. I really hope we get a Reload box to complement this next year.

• Like 1

i got my copy in the mail today. came in great shape. I'm listening to 76 14 now and it sounds great. I'll need to compare it with my MOV copy to see what the real differences are but no complaints!