IGNORED

F.U.S.E. - Dimension Intrusion & Speedy J - Ginger (Warp reissues)

dcom

I have the original orange Ginger.

They kept the orange for Ginger with this reissue, but replaced the original white F.U.S.E record with a green one. I think I like this better. The records look great together.

• Like 1

There's a way in which these 1993 (and earlier) first wave iddumz hit different than even some of the stuff in the intervening time

• Like 2

I remember being pretty miffed that "Ginger" never got stocked but "Dimension Intrusion" did back in the day. I bought it anyway as you did in the IDM desert days but I just never cottoned onto it very well. I still don't care for it. Richie had the most American exposure and could be found in every record store. He can crack a banger now and again (System 7 - "Alphawave" remix) but, otherwise, he's a snoozefest to me. I'm grateful to Jochem chucking everything up on Bandcamp a couple of years ago. "Ginger" holds up today imo.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

The second AI compilation is also missing.

These two were always the least familiar of the AI releases to me. They blend seamlessly with the others, but  both seem a little more straight-ahead techno and less adventurous/idiosyncratic. Still great records though and historically important, but I'm not quite sure they warrant a second purchase.

Quite interesting that Ginger was supposed to have a more organic and less machine like vibe, Can't say I noticed at the time. Listening to it today it seems to be something of a precursor to the Perala Colundi stuff.

Odd. I'm pretty sure I haven't heard both these albums, totally passed me by. I guess back in the day I was saving up my money and buying records (remember them days) by Aphex, Autechre and the odd thing by BOC as they don't release any fucking music.

True story.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Richie Sombrero said:

but it's not a great pressing.

I think most -if not all- of these coloured pressings were pretty bad. I have the silver Incunabula and that's pretty darn unlistenable. My copy even has a side that's noticably off center.

3 minutes ago, t yst r said:

I think most -if not all- of these coloured pressings were pretty bad. I have the silver Incunabula and that's pretty darn unlistenable. My copy even has a side that's noticably off center.

Incunabula's silver and Black Dog's Bytes' bronze pressings are the worst.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, dcom said:

Incunabula's silver and Black Dog's Bytes' bronze pressings are the worst.

For the longest time, I only owned 'Bytes' on bronze vinyl, and just learned to put up with the atrocious surface noise. It is quite literally the worst sounding pressing I've ever heard or owned. When I finally got around to buying a copy on CD, I remember listening to it and thinking it sounded wrong, I'd become so used to the terrible pressing quality.

• Like 2

On 10/6/2023 at 9:48 PM, exitonly said:

prolly waiting for a december PW release. just speculating

I’m expecting it’s gonna get a bells and whistles deluxe treatment for its anniversary… crossing fingers. 

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, YEK said:

Shit. Good to know, thanks. 

i'm in the US and ordered through a local shop.  I got a call on Friday that it was in so there's a good chance they are still just now making out this way.

On 12/4/2023 at 7:24 AM, exitonly said:

i'm in the US and ordered through a local shop.  I got a call on Friday that it was in so there's a good chance they are still just now making out this way.

I got a phone call like two days later saying it’s in. Vinyl scored 👍 

• Like 1